Thinking about on ear or maybe over ear open back $300-ish or less
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Brando

500+ Head-Fier
I like my ah-d7000's but the around the ear closed back with leather pads gets hot after awhile on warm days and it's hard to enjoy music when i feel like i have a fever. honestly i'm kind of nit picking because it's been awhile since i got new phones and i sort of feel like trying something new for the fun of it but if it ends up being a better experience i can sell the ah-d7000's and if not i can just keep both to use whichever one i feel like at the moment.

ideal phones for me will be either breathable open/around the ear without leather or on the ear so there's no hot air getting trapped in the first place. i enjoy the bass on my denons but i can live with a balanced sound as long as it's not thin sounding. these will plug into my onkyo tx-8270 stereo receiver since there's no line out for a separate amp. fortunately it seems to be pretty capable power wise.

i did a tiny bit of homework and was thinking about the beyerdynamic dt 1350. i enjoyed the ath-m50 when i had them but wished they were more comfortable and more musical sounding. the bass impact was good. if the dt 1350 accomplishes this i think i'll like them but i'm open to any ideas. in a nutshell...

1. comfortable and cool head temps
2. balanced sound with decent impact
3. work well plugged straight into my tx-8270 (unexpectedly decent power output)
4. not drastically inferior to current phones

i haven't been here awhile and i'm behind the times. thank you!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 22
Should i just say F it and play it safe with some hd600's ? Do they let your ears breath through the mesh? will they be under powered? i'm not sure how to translate the output of my receivers headphone jack to the specs of the hd600 but here's what they show on the spec sheet from onkyo.

Headphone Output Impedance
330 Ω
Headphone Rated Output
80 mW (32 Ω, 1 kHz, 10%)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 22
Go for the Hifiman HE400i, they're on sale on Amazon for $250.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 22
I would recommend an HD650. Is the 330 ohm output impedance that for the headphone out on your amp? If so, your damping factor is not going to be ideal for any common headphones, including the HD650 and HE400i. Just FYI, FWIW/

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 22
I would recommend an HD650. Is the 330 ohm output impedance that for the headphone out on your amp? If so, your damping factor is not going to be ideal for any common headphones, including the HD650 and HE400i. Just FYI, FWIW/
yeah that's straight off the spec sheet. i called onkyo and they can't give me the output at 330ohm. apparently they don't have any more information than i do. the ah-d7000 sound great coming from it and get plenty loud but they're making me sweat right now. i wish i could just have 2 drivers floating next to my ears with nothing touching my head.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 22
yeah that's straight off the spec sheet. i called onkyo and they can't give me the output at 330ohm. apparently they don't have any more information than i do. the ah-d7000 sound great coming from it and get plenty loud but they're making me sweat right now. i wish i could just have 2 drivers floating next to my ears with nothing touching my head.
I would say both the 650 (and 600) and the 400i are not especially sweaty headphones.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 22
Very high output impedance is not great for HD600/HD650.
DT880 (250/600) is a good pairing since it has a slightly flatter impedance curve and being a relatively lean sounding headphone, the added warmth caused by the very high output impedance can be considered a good thing.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 22
off topic but related. does anyone know of a good attenuator/adapter i can use to run my phones straight from the second speaker output of the receiver? all the headphone out is on my receiver is a couple of 330ohm resistors if i'm not mistaken. if there's something out there with less resistance and the right plugs i can just hook the phones to the back of the amplifier and switch between speakers a and b. i think it would do the same thing but with less aggressive resistors i can have more power and lower impedance. i'm not sure what value i would need but apparently 330ohm is overkill. i ask because i don't want to explode my phones if i try it.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 22
off topic but related. does anyone know of a good attenuator/adapter i can use to run my phones straight from the second speaker output of the receiver? all the headphone out is on my receiver is a couple of 330ohm resistors if i'm not mistaken. if there's something out there with less resistance and the right plugs i can just hook the phones to the back of the amplifier and switch between speakers a and b. i think it would do the same thing but with less aggressive resistors i can have more power and lower impedance. i'm not sure what value i would need but apparently 330ohm is overkill. i ask because i don't want to explode my phones if i try it.

To get a relatively good damping factor with a wide range of headphones you're looking for 10 Ohm output impedance max, best chances are you won't get that low without running the risk of blowing the transducers accidentaly with the speaker out. I think getting an affordable headphone amplifier would be a wiser move.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 22
To get a relatively good damping factor with a wide range of headphones you're looking for 10 Ohm output impedance max, best chances are you won't get that low without running the risk of blowing the transducers accidentaly with the speaker out. I think getting an affordable headphone amplifier would be a wiser move.
i did get an 02 amp but apparently the line out on my receiver doesn't support digital sources so i had to return it. the only onther thing i can think of is the possibility of using the hdmi out on the receiver with an hdmi to usb adapter and getting a standalone amp/dac for the phones. i have a feeling it only outputs video though. have to look into it. thanks for the reply.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 22
i keep coming across online comments about poor build quality for every headphone i'm interested in. has qc taken a nosedive overall because of the global economy or something? there are tons of reviews saying the philips x2 has one side louder than the other as well as ear pad issues. the beyerdynamic t51i apparently has crap cables that pull out and can't be fixed. a quick google search comes up with negativity about hifiman as well.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 22
i did get an 02 amp but apparently the line out on my receiver doesn't support digital sources so i had to return it. the only onther thing i can think of is the possibility of using the hdmi out on the receiver with an hdmi to usb adapter and getting a standalone amp/dac for the phones. i have a feeling it only outputs video though. have to look into it. thanks for the reply.

What's your current source?

Typical example
PC (source) ---> USB DAC/Amp ----> Headphones
PC (source) ---> USB DAC/Amp ---- Analog Line Out ----> Speaker Amp ----> Speakers

You can do this even with an affordable FiiO E10K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back