Thinking about NAD cd player
Oct 18, 2004 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

wit

New Head-Fier
OK folks...
English isn't my primary language, so bare with me here....
Before I'm going to ask a question, here is my setup...
Source - I am currently using EMU 1212m with foobar (EAC ripped wav files.)
Amp - Headroom Home
Phones - Senn. HD 580, Ety-4p/s, and (RS-1 should arrive sometimes next week.)

Music preferences.
I don't really know exactly what kind of music I like (lack of words), but these are artists that I like
Suzanne Vega, Natalie Merchant, 10,000 Maniacs, The Cranberries, Diana Krall, Fleetwood Mac, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... etc...

I was quite happy with this setup till.... till I start thinking about how it could be better...
I really like the convenient of not having to get up and change cd every time I want to listen to a different album.

Now let me begin... as of late I have a thought that how could a soundcard with small analog section outpeform a dedicated cd player? (no flame here, just a thought.)
So I've been looking at NAD c541i and c542. Will this be an improvement over 1212m? If so, would the different be subtle?
I would like to get some opinions from you guys especially those who have both 1212m and NAD players.

Thank you.

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 21
Well, I have no experience with either the 1212m or the CD players you mentioned, but if I'm not mistaken, I believe the concensus is that the 1212m can compete with $600+ CD players in its stock form. Given that, I'd say that the 1212m might actually sound better than either CD you mentioned (as the NADs aren't particularly high end). Once again, this is an assumption that I've made based on other peoples' opinions. But fear not, I'm sure someone who's actually heard the gear in question will chime in soon enough.

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 21
Thanks guys...
Havn't really thought about modding the E-MU. (for some obscure reasons, I'm not too fond with modded stuff...) I may look into modded card later though (if it will give me the best bang for my moola.)
Hmm.... So I guess I should stick with whatever I have for now then...
I think, I'm just looking for an excuse to get myself a decent cd player
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 21
Get a decent CD player. I disagree that your sound card will sound better than the NAD CD players. I don't care how good your sound card is, the computer has so much noise and interference going through it, that it's impossible for any sound card to be truly hi-fi. The power supply in the computer is not noise insulated and neither is the sound card. There is nothing within the computer to assure protection against RF and other noise interference.

If you have the money, get a decent CD player. The 541i is a good start. It's not the end all, be all, but it's a decent player. I think you'll discover depth and three dimensional quality to your music.

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 21
Oh, no, henceforth shall start the flame-fest....
eek.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Oh, no, henceforth shall start the flame-fest....
eek.gif

icon10.gif
I'm not going to engage in pissing matches. I gave my opinion based on my experience. You guys can take it or leave it. It's no shirt off my back either way.

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 21
I'm pretty sure that 541i isn't going to be the end...
Do you think I'll be able to tell the different between the two? I would not categorize myself as an audiophile, therefore, the different must be somewhat of a wide magin for me to tell. I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred if the different is more than subtle.
Any suggestions on other players that are in the same price range?

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wit
I'm pretty sure that 541i isn't going to be the end...
Do you think I'll be able to tell the different between the two? I would not categorize myself as an audiophile, therefore, the different must be somewhat of a wide magin for me to tell. I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred if the different is more than subtle.
Any suggestions on other players that are in the same price range?

depends on your ears really...
if you wanna go slow on the wallet, go for NAD C521BEE

Here's NAD 542's brochure, have a look.

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 21
NAD 542i is the single greatest improvement to my rig... YMMV but I doubt you'll regret one.

TonyAAA

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 21
It all depends on how critical you are. It's not going to be an experience where you hook up your new source and say "Wow!!! I've gone from a bad AM reception to live music". YOu're going to hear more detail, the music will have greater depth, it'll have more of a three dimensional quality to it, greater dynamic range and better detail in the transients, giving you a better feel for the subtleties of the music. None of these things by themselves are going to be enough of an improvement, but the combination of small improvements are going to result in a much greater enjoyment of the music you play.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 21
Thank you all.
Well... guess what... I just spent all my money on something else that I totally don't need..... Will be broke for a good while...
Yeah... I suppose the only way to find out how a cdp will change the sound of my setup is to get one...
Any recomendation on where to buy them? (not that I have any more cash to spend but...... selling my soul is always an option....
rolleyes.gif
)

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 21
Audiogon is by far the best place to buy stuff. I find hi-fi dealers annoying and new products to be overpriced. By shopping on Audiogon, I solve both of these issues.

Oct 22, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 21
i like my nad 541i more than my emu 1212m. i'd say 80% of my listening is done thru the nad, even though i *wanted* to like computer as source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back