Thinking about my science fair project early. Any recommendations for a project using audio?
Aug 23, 2015 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Flamess

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about doing a project involving audio. It may be how headphones operate/how the drivers work, or compare different headphone drivers and how they work. However in every science fair projects there has to be a "problem" that has to be solved. Any idea on a science project I could do. It doesn't need to do with headphones, it could be anything else audio related. Thanks! Don't beat yourselves up over this question, just looking for helpful suggestions! :D

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 9
The technology of different headphone types could be an interesting topic for a science project.

...But if you merely write a report, it wouldn't garner as much attention compared to if you had the different types on display, including models taken apart so passersby can examine the drivers and so on.

Here are some resource links to start you off:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Transducer_technology
http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/electrostatic.htm

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 9
Here's an easy one. Demonstrate the compression of lossy audio files and how it ruins the sound quality of music with high compression rates, but then isn't even noticeable with lower compression rates. Just convert a lossless audio file to various bit rates of AAC (like 20, 40, 80, 100, 160, 200, and 256 kbps) and let people listen to (and switch between) them.

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 9
I wrote:
So maybe something about the dangers of listening to loud music on headphones.

So using three same model headphones and a highly compressed musical selection that the attendees wile enjoy. Set the level of one headphone at 'Loud' one at 'Too Loud' and one at 'Way Too Loud'.  The hard tasks are calibrating the headphones and determining the correct levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back