Thinking about moving up to the SR-007 from the SR-404...?
Feb 28, 2006 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
This is one of those times when you realize, almost in retrospect, that your main rig just isn't cutting it. Not because the SR-404 isn't good enough in technical merits - my preferences have shifted and left the system behind. I realize that I enjoy the warmer, more relaxed feel of the SR-001 and HD600 more than the SR-404. The fast, bright, aggressive but lean sound signature just doesn't do it for me anymore. I haven't been using the SR-404 all that much lately because I'm almost never in the mood for its particular sound.

I've narrowed down what I want in a system, and I will build around this preference: I want warmth and clarity, both in one package. The SR-404 has the clarity, while the HD600 has the warmth. I want something that's not a compromise between either, but something that takes these aspects of either and elevates them to a new level. Also, I want a relaxed presentation of detail. I want the detail to be there, but not shoved in your face the way the SR-404 does it at times.

Alternatively, you could think of it as the SR-001 done better. I really like the SR-001's way of doing things, and if only I could get something with more extension on both ends but with a similar tonal balance, and more refinement across the board, I think I'll be happy.

I also really like the electrostatic sensation of the music simply coming out of thin air and leaving the system behind. To my ears, the SR-001 does this even better than the SR-404, mainly due to the SR-404's upper midrange sibilance. This is really why I'm looking more at the SR-007 than at the HD650.

Yeah, the system's not ready for it, and the wallet's definitely not ready for it. But, building a system around trying to make the SR-404 what it isn't - warm, smooth, seductive - is not as good, in my book, as taking a headphone with a sound signature that you'd want, and building a clean new rig around it. When and if I get the SR-007, the rest of the rig will probably change to follow suit. I'll try to run it off the EA-1 at first, assuming I get it fixed, and for a relatively inexpensive source I'm thinking DAC1. I'll switch the EA-1 to the KGSS if the O2 falls asleep with the tubes.

Obviously, since I'm thinking of the SR-007 in the first place, I'm ready to spend big bucks. I have no idea where I'll get them from, but that's another story
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'm not in a rush to do this, though, so it's all good.

So, to those that have made the SR-404 to the SR-007 jump - is the SR-007 what I want? I'd like to hear some of your experiences.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Shoot. I was hoping a tube amp could warm the SR-404 as I find it more comfortable than the Omega II.

The Omega II is definitely an electrostatic HD650, without the bass impact. I had the chance to compare the HD650 to the Omega II side by side for a period of months
biggrin.gif
If you make the HD650 more dynamic, give it a touch of treble extension, speed it up a lot, and make the bass snappy (almost no decay to my ears), that is how the O2s sound to me. The 02s have plenty of bass, but does not hit hard. So you are heading in the right direction with the O2s.

Warning. The 02s sound fantastic one day, then sound dull another day. I have no idea why. Maybe there is something to leaving it ON all the time, which I didn't do. Oh, and the Stax fart and suction effect are annoying.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Shoot. I was hoping a tube amp could warm the SR-404 as I find it more comfortable than the Omega II.

I still haven't worked out the issues in the EA-1 (too busy at work), so I can't tell you how much it will warm up the SR-404 in it's fully functional state. Perhaps it will work out, and I won't need the O2, but it doesn't seem like it right now (though don't take my word for it). I will definitely post the results once everything's working.

Forgot to ask initially: how's the comfort of the O2 when lying down? I like to listen in bed with the lights off (yep, I'm single), and the SR-404 doesn't exert enough pressure on the ears to stay put.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I still haven't worked out the issues in the EA-1 (too busy at work), so I can't tell you how much it will warm up the SR-404 in it's fully functional state. Perhaps it will work out, and I won't need the O2, but it doesn't seem like it right now (though don't take my word for it). I will definitely post the results once everything's working.

How's the comfort of the O2 when lying down? I like to listen in bed with the lights off (yep, I'm single), and the SR-404 doesn't exert enough pressure on the ears to stay put.

I don't listen lying down so can't really answer this question. Perhaps others can chime in. However, the O2s are heavy --- so I imagine it would not be the best headphone for listening while lying down. The cups rotate too, so that is another issue when you are not listening in an upright position.

About the overall comfort, I know a headfier who watches entire movies with O2s, and he finds it very comfortable. Bangraman finds the O2s more comfortable than HE90s. Since I find the K1000s "comfortable," comfort will vary from person to person. Oh, and the O2 pads make a seal and get hot during summer!

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 10
The Omega's are IMO the best headphones for listening while lying down. You just rotate the headband over your forehead and route the cable where ever you want and you hardly feel them.

The Omegas are much warmer then the Lambda series. They sound very similar to the HD600 but with much better bass. The He90 even trails far behind the Omegas in the bass department when driven with an amp that can handle them.

On general comfort they are great. You can bend the headband to change the clamping pressure and also Stax figured it out a long time ago that a wide headband is the way to go so the weight really isn't an issue. They do form a tight seal around the ears and this causes the mylar to make some nasty noises but that is what you pay for the great bass.

The big deal with the Omegas is the amp that will drive them. I have tried a bunch and the only one that did it for me is the Blue Hawaii. Plenty of power and tubes to tailor the sound.

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 10
I have been on the same journey. I have a pair of 303's, 404's and the O2's. The O2's are stunning and represent a serious jump from the other headphones. There is a clarity and warmth to them, but for me there is also a transparency and tone which really sets them apart. They seem to glisten and present the music with both authority and finese.

I don't have hot and cold days with the O2's. The need about 15 minutes of listenable warm up to really sound great.

I think the the HE-90 is a better headphone, but besides that one, I've not heard anything I think is better than the O2's. They're magical.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 10
try living with your dynamic rig for a few weeks till you cant stand that HD600 anymore - they immediately swap to your STAX. i guarantee you'll fall in love with them all over again!
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 10
From what I can figure out, one of the major reasons for the variability of the Omega sound is the rotation of the earpad. I use non-marking tape to keep the ring + earpad in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back