Thinking about maybe possibly getting some new headphones.
Nov 8, 2004 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jeffreybar

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I don't know if I'll really do it, or if I'll just stick to canalphones, but I'm looking for suggestions for phones for portable listening. But listening to canalphones all the time can get boring (even if you like your canalphones a lot, as I do), and it's good to take a break from time to time, and I'm sick of buying tons of new foamies all the time, so I'm thinking about getting some regular headphones to break up the monotony. Here is what I am looking for:

* Portable. I'm used to a setup that fits in a pocket (iHP-140 + Shure E2C). Something not much bigger than this would be the ideal size, but I'm willing to be a little flexible on this, so long as they're not *huge* and so long as they're fairly durable (if I throw them in my backpack or whatever).

* Wearable. They need to be both comfortable and stay on my head when I'm rocking out. And I do rock out. Oh yes. Oh, also, I have a really big head, so if they seem a little tight and you've got a small head, then they probably won't be an option for me.

* Closed or Semi-Closed. Open cans are absolutely not an option. I listen almost exclusively in noisy environments. They don't need to have the isolation of my Shures, but at least decent isolation is important.

* Musical (as opposed to analytic) presentation. I really like the Shure sound. I like my AKG 240Ms. I really disliked the Ety er4p setup when I had them. I wasn't a big fan of the AKG 501s (although I did like the wide soundstage). Visceral impact, good full bass, and a smooth, pleasant, non-fatiguing sound are all qualities that I like in headphones.

* Sounds great unamped. I don't have a portable headphone amp, and I don't want to add the extra bulk to my setup. So it's gotta sound great straight out of my iHP-140.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, so they should be good all-around performers, although I do listen to a particularly large amount of rock and quasi-rock stuff (more symphonic kinda junk). Some of the genres I especially listen to are: post-rock, prog-rock, kraut-rock, psychedelia, fusion, space-rock, chamber-rock, as well as more poppy stuff from time to time. A lot of these genres really rely on producing a big, full, "mindblowing" sound, so that's a plus. Just a few artists for reference: Pink Floyd, Godspeed, Calexico, Soundtrack of our Lives, Can, Captain Beefheart, The Cure, Tortoise, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Van der Graaf Generator, etc.

Last but not least, price range. If possible, give me at least two recommendations. One in the $100 or less category, and one in the $100-$200 category. If possible, compare them and let me know what the extra money buys me. I'm not sure how much I'll have to spend, but I want to keep my options open.

Sorry that this post was super-long, but at least it shouldn't be lacking in details.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
HD25-1?

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about these cans after reading another post on them. I can only find the HD 25 and HD 25-SP online though...is the HD 25-1 the same thing as one of these other two?

Edit: NM on this...I think I figured it out. HD 25 = HD 25-1. So that's sorted out. Other recommendations?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 19
What's wrong with your current setup? Once we know what you want improved we can make better suggestions.

My first thought though would be to get Ety ER-6i's. They should sound more detailed than the Shures. You could even go for the ER4's, which should be very detailed, but i've read the bass response isn't as good as the 6's. If you just want better sound for home we can make other suggestions.

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 19
Honestly, in the ear bud category, I think anything less than the UM2 Westone or Shure E5cs is a waste of time for those who love their bass and detail.

I suppose you could try the ER6i. Apparently, they have more bass than the ER4P, but that's not saying much (you can't exercise with them, though).

If you need ear buds, I'd suggest saving up.

It's inevitable: you're going to end up purchasing the Sensaphonics 2X-S anyway. Just bite the bullet and burn your wallet. Your ears will thank you.

Currently listening to: "Safe Tonight" by Anti-Flag on my PX-100s.

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 19
He does not want IEMs, canalphones or earbuds... He wants portable cans. He said so. Good job on those last posts.
rolleyes.gif

I second the FC7's a bit of information has come up recently on them, do some searches. $59 American at Audio Cubes.

HD25-1's are another choice, but they will cost a bit more...

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
He does not want IEMs, canalphones or earbuds... He wants portable cans. He said so. Good job on those last posts.
rolleyes.gif

Aren't we the sarcastic one. I don't recommend full sized cans for portable use, I was suggesting upgrades for canal phones deliberately. 25-1's are the current flavour of the month, which I try to avoid (often unsuccesfully), but try to avoid recommending.

A better solution would be to get full sized cans for home/work, and to continue to use the canals for portable use. You can't been 'em. HD555/595s, or A500/900s would do the trick.

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 19
If your portable has an equalizer then the E3's. They'll need equalizing since you are used to the bass of the E2c's (Some people say that equalized with a good equalizer the E3's can sound kind of close to the E5's). If are willing to pay more then UM2's, or E5's, and if you want the best in canalphones move to UE or Sensa's.

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I'm really not looking for IEMs here. If I want IEMs, I'll get E5s or UM2s. I am *also* considering getting some better canalphones, but what I'm looking for right now is portable full-sized sealed headphones. I already know what I want in the canalphone category anyway, so I don't really need suggestions there.

The reasons? I guess I may not have been clear enough about that. I intend to continue to use canalphones. I'm not giving them up. But I listen to headphones almost exclusively on the go, or in coffeeshops, or in my office, and that means like 3-4 hours a day of canalphone listening. While the E2s are not bad for this, 3-4 hours a day every day of IEM listening has worn me down a little. I want some variety.

So, we have a suggestion for the FC7 or FC5, both of which I was considering, and a couple of yeas for the HD25-1 (which I am now considering
smily_headphones1.gif
). Any other suggestions?

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 19
get the FC7. i think it has better sound than the HD25-1 and sound better unamped. the HD25-1 in my opinion lack some bass.

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Aren't we the sarcastic one. I don't recommend full sized cans for portable use, I was suggesting upgrades for canal phones deliberately. 25-1's are the current flavour of the month, which I try to avoid (often unsuccesfully), but try to avoid recommending.

If you read the post you'd know he wants closed/semi closed non canalphones, because the canal phones are becoming boring/tedious, and he wants variety.
If you think he would be better off with another pair of canalphones, persuade him, so instead of just offering more of what he is sick of. Just a thought.

BTW, I hear the FC5's sound like arse, especially when the FC7's are only a tiny bit more expensive.

The HD25-1's don't fold, so you will either need to stow them in your breif case or neck them when you aren't wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back