Thinking about living in the woods for a month during the summer
Jan 29, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 50
watch into the wild about 10 times, and bring Eddie Vedder with you. That should do it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 50
Do your homework first, by reading books such as those by Bradford Angier and Mel Tappan. With that done, you can put together the gear you will need. Learn to set up snares, start fire by various methods, hunt, fish, and build shelter (practice on weekends). Learn what you can/can not eat in the woods. Summer is not so bad - winter is the real test. Go watch Jeremiah Johnson to see what can happen in the off season. Oh, and I almost forgot, very important: camp near clean, flowing water, and shhiit somewhere downstream.

Guns may be over-rated, but I suggest a .22 pistol and a .22 over 20 gauge combination gun, good to do most anything in the woods. Don't go overboard on the knives - a good ax will serve you better than a lot of knives. Get a hunting + fishing license beforehand.

Take EXTREME care in boot selection.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do your homework first, by reading books such as those by Bradford Angier and Mel Tappan. With that done, you can put together the gear you will need. Learn to set up snares, start fire by various methods, hunt, fish, and build shelter (practice on weekends). Learn what you can/can not eat in the woods. Summer is not so bad - winter is the real test. Go watch Jeremiah Johnson to see what can happen in the off season. Oh, and I almost forgot, very important: camp near clean, flowing water, and shhiit somewhere downstream.

Guns may be over-rated, but I suggest a .22 pistol and a .22 over 20 gauge combination gun, good to do most anything in the woods. Don't go overboard on the knives - a good ax will serve you better than a lot of knives. Get a hunting + fishing license beforehand.

Do I have to worry about wild animals? Only thing that scares me.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I have to worry about wild animals? Only thing that scares me.

I have done a LOT of day hiking in the Kansas City area, in the Ozarks, and out west, even at night. I never worried about a thing, even in areas where I knew there were mountain lions, wolves and bears. I feel safer in the woods than in town. 99.9% of the time, the animals will try hard to leave you the hell alone. Just don't take sweets into bear country - that should be rule #1.

If you wanna go on an adventure, may I suggest canoeing the length of the Current River, here in Missouri? But as the other fellow said, don't do it alone.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done a LOT of day hiking in the Kansas City area, in the Ozarks, and out west, even at night. I never worried about a thing, even in areas where I knew there were mountain lions, wolves and bears. I feel safer in the woods than in town. 99.9% of the time, the animals will try hard to leave you the hell alone. Just don't take sweets into bear country - that should be rule #1.

If you wanna go on an adventure, may I suggest canoeing the length of the Current River, here in Missouri? But as the other fellow said, don't do it alone.

Yeah, you're probably right. I probably shouldn't do it alone. Canoeing sounds awesome though.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 50
Maybe a backpacking trip? Isle Royale National Park Isle Royale National Park (U.S. National Park Service). Enough room to be alone for solitude if that is what you want, but plenty of other hikers so you will only be as alone as you want. Unique adventure with wolves and moose (you would be LUCKY to see a wolf).

Or....a backwoods canoe trip in the Boundry Waters in Minnesota. Lots of outfitters to provide the gear you'll need and not too difficult to find someone to go with.

And the classic...hike part of the Appalachian Trail. The stretch that includes the 100 Mile Wilderness would be an interesting walk.

More exotic...a supported bicycle trip in the Alps or a walk about in New Zealand or a hike up to the summit of Mt Ranier.

Plenty adventure out there big and small. You just have to decide what you like and what stretches your limits. Do a bit of research. Talk to people who do what you think you want to do (they love to talk about their passion). Then commit to going and do it. You will never regret taking the risk. You will always regret not.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
watch into the wild about 10 times, and bring Eddie Vedder with you. That should do it.
biggrin.gif

uhh no

read Walden by Henry David Thoreau and bring HIM with you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back