Thinking about IEM's to replace my Shure E4c
Dec 9, 2009 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fomoz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I was just wondering if its worth it to replace my Shure E4c IEM's? What are my options keeping it around $400 or so? I'm tired of my E4c and that's the main reason I want to replace them.

I've tried my friend's Westone 3 and they are amazing, I don't know how else to describe them. I would prefer IEMs instead of full size because they are portable and they don't make any noise outside.

If I'm going to be using either my Sandisk Sansa Fuze or laptop w/ Audigy2 ZS PCMCIA card, would it even be worth it to look elsewhere than IEM's, for example the HE-5 / EF-5 combo? or should I go with Westone 3 or Shure SE530 or their competitors? Preferably with at least 3 drivers.

I'm going to be listening to electronic in FLAC format and I want well balanced headphones/earphones that don't lack in bass, keep it tight and have pleasant mids and highs. How much better would the HE-5 / EF-5 setup compared to, say, westone 3 if they're connected to the same source as i mentioned above?

btw, what about the Grado 325is? Do I need an amp for those? will a portable amp be good? pls give me some info about this.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 10
E4 to SE530 is a logical and decent upgrade but W3 is even better.

UM3X would also be good but it will sound a bit tamer and neutral like your E4 but much better.

Go with W3 !

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well you havnt really said what you want sound wise, if you liked the E4 then id just say se530

Quote:

Originally Posted by fomoz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to be listening to electronic in FLAC format and I want well balanced headphones/earphones that don't lack in bass, keep it tight and have pleasant mids and highs.

thanks for the replies!

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you thought the Westone 3s were amazing, get them... *shrug*

x2. You've found what you want, stop looking. You can always sell them off if you were wrong.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well you havnt really said what you want sound wise, if you liked the E4 then id just say se530

Not necessarily. I bought the E4c because I found the E5c to be too muddy in the bass. As a result, the E4c had better clarity. Now I don't know if the newer SE530 is any different but it doesn't always work to assume that if you like one you'll like the other.

I agree with previous poster, if you think the W3 is amazing and it is in the price range then go for it.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 10
has shure fixed their cable issues? i was thinking about them in the past but their cable put me off from buying them

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has shure fixed their cable issues? i was thinking about them in the past but their cable put me off from buying them

i dunno, the cable has some mild problems where the jack is, but its not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back