Thinking about getting the iMod...A few questions about the unit and iPod's UI...
Feb 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

isamu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I have a few question about the iMod(or iPod model that can be modded into an iMod) I'm hoping you can help me with. These are very important questions that will influence my decision whether to buy one or not so please help me out:

1)Even though the headphone jack is rendered useless once the unit is iModded, can you still use the line out jack with a car cassette adapter? If so, how is the SQ though one of those? If I can't use the line out directly with the cassette adapter, can use a mini amp in between them?

2)What is the absolute biggest capacity hard drive that can fit into the iMod? I've heard there are upto 160gig laptop drives now. Can these be used in the iMod? I'm hoping for at least 80Gb of space

3)Can I use the Rockbox UI in the iMod?

Question about the iPod/iMod user interface:

4)Do the iPod/iMod have some sort of "Now Playing" menu, similar to Creative's UI menu, where if you play a song, it falls into it's own sub-folder/sub-category and you can add to it? Creative Zen users know what I'm referring to. Does the iMod/iPod have this within its UI?

5)Can you set up the iMod to play different playlists one after the other in the order that you want? Let's say I have three playlists called U2, New Order, and Depeche Mode and I want to play them one after the other in the order that I want. Can I do this?

6)If yes to number 5, can I then re-arrange the songs I want within ALL THREE playlists in ANY order I want? For example let's say I choose all three playlists from within my iMod. Can I re-arrange the order of the songs within that playlist as it's currently playing? And can I put a track from the New Order playlist in front of a track from the U2 playlist, an order them any way I want?

These are some of the things I like about the old firmware in the Creative Nomad Jukebox series of DAPs, and I'm hoping these kinds of options are available in the iMod
smily_headphones1.gif

7)Finally, can you tell me the price of the iMod and post a link to where I can order/find out more info? Does the guy sell pre-modded iMods or do have to buy one first and then send it in?

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 13
1) Line out could only be use to charge the player and upload songs. You can use the headphone out converted to line out with a mini-to-casette adapter, not so sure about the mini-amp thing, you already got an amp in your car radio anyway.

2)There was a Seagate 120GB 1.8'' drive that was supposed to come out in late december 06... I don't know if it's out there. I think you can get yourself a 80GB drive from Toshiba but these are not the same than in the 5.5G ones, they must use ATA connection. You can't use laptop drives unless they are 1.8''.

3) Yeah, absolutely.

4) yes.

5) I do think so.

6) Don't know!

7) Imods cost around $400 ($200 for the mod + $200 for the ipod photo itself) plus shipping too.

Here is Red Wine Audio Imod Webpage :
http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

He does have some deals with pre-modded units but you'll have to email him cause he doesn't always have that many stock units in hand.

I think that's all !

Julien

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 13
Killercrush answered most of your questions. Here is an addendum:

There is no reason you can't go iMod to amp to car cassette adapter...though the SQ of the adapter I might question. You should look to see if there is a more direct way to your stereo. I bought and installed a PIE X-3 Multi-Source Auxiliary Input Converter for my car stereo system which gives me three stereo rca inputs directly into my Car's Head Unit. I haven't tried the car cassette adapter, but I would believe that the SQ is better with the X-3 or a similar product. The all you need is a good quality mini to stereo rca cable.

I’m still waiting on the 120GB HD. Once they are available Vinnie has said he will be willing to install them in the iMod if they fit and work with the 4G.

You definitely can use Rockbox on your iMod. I do. You should get the no-frequency scaling build IMHO as my iMod kept on crashing after only a few songs, before researching and finding the build by mikeage @ http://mikeage.net/content/rockbox-custom-builds/. If you look in my signature I have pics posted of my iMod with Rockbox installed.

As regards to your playlist questions 4-6, you are going to either be using the iPod firmware or the Rockbox firmware. Since you inquired about Rockbox, it sounds like that is the way you would go, so you should check out the Rockbox.org site for answers to those questions. I don't use playlists, so that's the best advice I can give you.

The iMod is worth the price IMHO.
etysmile.gif
Smalldog.com sells the 4G Photo for $209. They have 1 in stock according to their website.

Hope this helps. BTW Vinnie is very helpful. You can email him and he's pretty quick at answering any questions you may have.

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3)Can I use the Rockbox UI in the iMod?

5)Can you set up the iMod to play different playlists one after the other in the order that you want? Let's say I have three playlists called U2, New Order, and Depeche Mode and I want to play them one after the other in the order that I want. Can I do this?

6)If yes to number 5, can I then re-arrange the songs I want within ALL THREE playlists in ANY order I want? For example let's say I choose all three playlists from within my iMod. Can I re-arrange the order of the songs within that playlist as it's currently playing? And can I put a track from the New Order playlist in front of a track from the U2 playlist, an order them any way I want?

3. As has been said before, you can. However, do not think of Rockbox as simply a "UI". It is a completely separate replacement firmware that uses no part of the original firmware.

As for the next two, I can only speak for how Rockbox handles it. Rockbox always works off of a playlist. Whether you "played" an m3u or just chose a song, you are in a playlist. If you chose the latter, you are using what we call, a dynamic playlist.

5. Yes.

6. Yes.

You would really benefit from reading the Rockbox manual. It would tell you how you can accomplish this and many other tasks within Rockbox.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely can use Rockbox on your iMod. I do. You should get the no-frequency scaling build IMHO as my iMod kept on crashing after only a few songs, before researching and finding the build by mikeage @ http://mikeage.net/content/rockbox-custom-builds/. If you look in my signature I have pics posted of my iMod with Rockbox installed.

Can you explain why this happens?

I'm not sure if other people have this issue with rockbox but the interface can be unresponsive at times. If a song plays for a while and then I want to pause it, it won't pause; I have to rub the scroll wheel a bit to "wake up" the interface. Any one else experience this?

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if other people have this issue with rockbox but the interface can be unresponsive at times. If a song plays for a while and then I want to pause it, it won't pause; I have to rub the scroll wheel a bit to "wake up" the interface. Any one else experience this?

Make sure that you have the "First keypress enables backlight only" setting turned off.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure that you have the "First keypress enables backlight only" setting turned off.

I did a bit of browsing on the rockbox forums and found this and the "Fade on Stop/Pause" options to be the culprits. I didn't have the first option on but I did have the second turned on.

After a bit of short testing, I don't seem to have any problems now with these two features off.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. As has been said before, you can. However, do not think of Rockbox as simply a "UI". It is a completely separate replacement firmware that uses no part of the original firmware.

As for the next two, I can only speak for how Rockbox handles it. Rockbox always works off of a playlist. Whether you "played" an m3u or just chose a song, you are in a playlist. If you chose the latter, you are using what we call, a dynamic playlist.

5. Yes.

6. Yes.

You would really benefit from reading the Rockbox manual. It would tell you how you can accomplish this and many other tasks within Rockbox.

Cool, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey lemme ask you guys a question.... have any of you hooked up your iPods or iMods to your Xbox 360 for streaming music? Of so, does the sound quality of the iMod shine through even though it's being streaming into the console?

For example, would I hear a SQ difference between a standard iPod and an iModded iPod, even though it's streamed via USB cable?

Also, would the SQ be better off the iMod instead of directly from the 360's own hard drive?

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 13
Hey lemme ask you guys a question.... have any of you hooked up your iPods or iMods to your Xbox 360 for streaming music? Of so, does the sound quality of the iMod shine through even though it's being streaming into the console?

For example, would I hear a SQ difference between a standard iPod and an iModded iPod, even though it's streamed via USB cable?

Also, would the SQ be better off the iMod instead of directly from the 360's own hard drive?

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When Vinnie does the iMod, he rewires the iPod such that the output of the DAC goes directly to the headphone out only, thus the only way to hear anything out of the iMod is via the headphone out which is now a dedicated line out. So unless you can convert from mini to usb cable
blink.gif
, you won't be able to go from the dock connector to usb to hear anything.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you hook up the ipod via USB to the xbox, it is just reading the files off the hard drive. the imod will have no effect on that.

Hmm, does this statement apply to a windows PC as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back