Thinking about getting new headphones and an amp.
Mar 15, 2017 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Carrion93

New Head-Fier
Hi,

So currently my headphone setup consists of:

AKG K550 and K701 (got the 701s really cheaply otherwise I would not have bought them)
Raspberry Pi with IQ Audio Dac+
Fiio E11 Kilimanjaro headphone amp

I have been doing some research and I like the idea of assembling a Bottlehead Crack and using some Sennheiser HD 650s with that. I have never heard any decent headphones aside from my AKG ones so I want to try a completely different sound and apparently the 600s are more neutral than the 650s so I think that the 650s would be the better of the two for me.

I enjoy my current setup, I just want to try something completely different out of curiosity. I live in the UK so the Bottlehead will be quite expensive to build so any other recommendations are welcome but it looks like a fun project.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Honestly, I have a Bottlehead Crack and Speedball with the 650, but it is so big and heavy that I cannot use it often. I have been using a Burson Soloist, which is slightly smaller, makes less noise, but is slightly heavier. The 650 sounds fantastic. 

Regarding the topic at hand of completely different sound signature than what you have, I am not qualified as I have never tested those headphones.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 4
The HD650 does sound substantively different from the K550 and the K701. Richer. Warmer. Not thin or cold and analytical. One other amp you might consider is the DarkVoice 336SE, which sounds fantastic with my HD600s. Probably more affordable than the Bottlehead. Worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back