Thinking About Getting into Electrostatics
Mar 31, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
A relatively low cost, though complete electrostat headphone system is the Koss ESP/950. If you get this system, be sure to subtitute a good quality power supply (which costs about $70), in place of the wall wart that's included by Koss. A brief search of this Head-Fi site will provide more info.

I agree with this. I recently did a comparison between various Stax setups vs the Koss 950 http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167301 and found the Koss as good if not better than the Stax 404 with the SRM-3 amp for popular music. I would say however that if you listen primarily to classical you might prefer a Stax system.

However, costwise, you can get a new Koss for about $600.00 and get the world's best warranty to the original owner. http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86833 You might get one of the cheaper Stax systems new from Japan for that price but the warranty would be a problem since the US dealer won't even supply parts for grey market items. With a used item, you would get no warranty.

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #32 of 39
Well, since I'm currently babysitting a Stax Lambda Pro with SRM1-MKII amp, I'm thinking about trying to convince her father to allow me to adopt her, for the appropriate fee, of course. I listen to all kinds of music and so far I have not been disappointed. Otherwise, I may very well consider the Koss setup. I l

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #33 of 39
There's also the brand new SR-005a system. The SR-003 sure looks dinky, but that's definitely not how it sounds. This will be a very different sound from the SR-404 - almost the opposite in terms of tonal balance, with a strong midbass/lower midrange and a slight roll-off on both ends. Warm, liquid, still very quick but fuller than the SR-404 and far less fatiguing. Basically, think Senn tonal balance minus the impact plus a whole load of detail, and you're basically there. Main issues would be comfort and proper component matching, since it's not a neutral headphone by itself (too warm).

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Well, since I'm currently babysitting a Stax Lambda Pro with SRM1-MKII amp, I'm thinking about trying to convince her father to allow me to adopt her, for the appropriate fee, of course. I listen to all kinds of music and so far I have not been disappointed. Otherwise, I may very well consider the Koss setup. I l

Glad you are enjoying it! That ED-1 went for ridiculous amounts today, but believe me you don't need it to enjoy the combo you have now!

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
I agree with this. I recently did a comparison between various Stax setups vs the Koss 950 http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167301 and found the Koss as good if not better than the Stax 404 with the SRM-3 amp for popular music. I would say however that if you listen primarily to classical you might prefer a Stax system.

The SRM3 may be a little underpowered compared with either an SRM1 Mk2 or an SRM-717, either of which sound great with excellent bass and good transient impact. I suspect if you tried to run a Stax Sigma with the SRM3, it would not work well, due to the Sigma's low efficiency compared with the current Stax stuff.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #36 of 39
So it's a done deal! I just sent dannyandelyse a check for his Lambda Pros and SRM-1/MKII. These babies are staying with me. I think it's time to post a new thread since the thinking has already been done!

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

So it's a done deal! I just sent dannyandelyse a check for his Lambda Pros and SRM-1/MKII. These babies are staying with me. I think it's time to post a new thread since the thinking has already been done!

CONGRATS! and post pics of your new rig! bring it to the nat meet for sure and we'll do a Lambda/SRM glam shot!

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #38 of 39
I was thinking about bringing them to the meet but I'm going to be tied up taking care of other things. You've got a good table placement for me? Maybe I should set them up in the prefunction area. As people buy raffle tickets they can linger and check out the Lambda Pros!

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

I was thinking about bringing them to the meet but I'm going to be tied up taking care of other things. You've got a good table placement for me? Maybe I should set them up in the prefunction area. As people buy raffle tickets they can linger and check out the Lambda Pros!

Hehe, that's true, we don't want the raffle table to be the only one without a rig on it! And after all I have to pull my stint at that table too - we need tunes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back