Thinking About Getting a V6
May 24, 2005 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rayzian

100+ Head-Fier
I really love the sound of my PX100s, but I really can't stand how much they leak esp. in public areas. So I need some good closed portable cans. I was thinking about the PX200s at first but heard about how hard it is to get a good seal. Would the Sony V6 be a good upgrade from the PX100s?

May 24, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 7
IMHO th V6 would make a good upgrade, but you should be aware that the v6 has pronounced upper mids and exagerated bass. very different signature than your senn PX. IMHO the upper mids are harsh sounding on most music. The exagerated bass creates less sub-bass extension relative to the rest of the spectrum. Despite that its still a fun can to listen to IMHO... I use my EQ to cut the upper mids and its very enjoyable.

I prefer the DT250 for most music listening. Its a more melow signature, with plenty of bass and extension... but thats just me. Might also want to consider the HD280, or 25-1.

The V6 is pretty portable in that it can fold up into a ball and is durable while folded. I put mine in my backpack when not in use. Id like to do a driver transplant... DT250s in my V6 but I cant find a "doner" 250 for a reasonable price.

Garrett

May 25, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. From what I've read, the V6s are the same as the V7506, besides different plugs and such. What are the differences between the V7505, V7506 (V6) and V7509? I checked out the local Sony Store and only saw the V7505 and the V7509, although the V7509 was quite expensive.. Anyways, I could probably get the V7505 for free (birthday soon) instead of wasting money finding a V6 or HD280s on ebay, does anyone know anything about the 7505s? A search in google barely finds any results, and a search here only brings up one thread, and nothing is said about the 7505s.

May 25, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayzian
Thanks. From what I've read, the V6s are the same as the V7506, besides different plugs and such. What are the differences between the V7505, V7506 (V6) and V7509? I checked out the local Sony Store and only saw the V7505 and the V7509, although the V7509 was quite expensive.. Anyways, I could probably get the V7505 for free (birthday soon) instead of wasting money finding a V6 or HD280s on ebay, does anyone know anything about the 7505s? A search in google barely finds any results, and a search here only brings up one thread, and nothing is said about the 7505s.

I have the 7506 and 7509.

The 7506 is different than the V6 in that the drivers are better matched. In other words, the V6 uses the leftover drivers from the 7506 (those that didn't make the grade). These statements are made in accordance to someone who performed tests of both the V6 and 7506 in exact same settings and found the 7506 was much flatter. I can't remember the link though....that guy also tested the Beyer DT250...anyone ?

The 7509 is a very different beast. The 7509 has bigger bass, smoother sound (no harsh highs), more comfort, more power handling and sound considerably flatter than the 7506. Beware though...the 7509 are bass monsters! The bass of the 7506 is more of the "subwoofery" type, where the 7509 is a punchy as heck tight bass. As Mike Scarpitti said...the 7506 sounds a little slow compared to the 7509.

May 25, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
I have the 7506 and 7509.

The 7506 is different than the V6 in that the drivers are better matched. In other words, the V6 uses the leftover drivers from the 7506 (those that didn't make the grade). These statements are made in accordance to someone who performed tests of both the V6 and 7506 in exact same settings and found the 7506 was much flatter. I can't remember the link though....that guy also tested the Beyer DT250...anyone ?

Hey can you provide the URL link for that comparison. I for one would be very interested. Ive heard before that the 7506 drivers are different from the V6... But I always disputed that because their parts listing is IDENTICAL except for the earcups and cable plug. Both sony cans use sony driver part number 154249111... yes the SAME driver.... Now if the 7506 is matched different than the V6 or if it meets higher tolerances, that would explain it.

Also isnt the V6 older than the 7506?... by several years? I question the left over driver bit, or at least if anything it would be the other way around, with left over V6 drivers used on the later 7506.

If you can find that URL... Id be very interested,,, thanks
to the OP...

I dont know why but sony has this foam doughnut beneath the driver fabric that crushed my ear cartilage and caused major pain after 45 minutes... heres a pic. I remove it from all my V6 cans...
401268_241_full.jpg

Thanks\\

May 25, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Hey can you provide the URL link for that comparison. I for one would be very interested. Ive heard before that the 7506 drivers are different from the V6... But I always disputed that because their parts listing is IDENTICAL except for the earcups and cable plug. Both sony cans use sony driver part number 154249111... yes the SAME driver.... Now if the 7506 is matched different than the V6 or if it meets higher tolerances, that would explain it.

Also isnt the V6 older than the 7506?... by several years? I question the left over driver bit, or at least if anything it would be the other way around, with left over V6 drivers used on the later 7506.

About the fabric, I removed it too, much easier on the ears now, but it still crushes my ears quite a bit, making it a lot less comfortable than the circumaural 7509.

Yes, the V6 is older than the 7506, but I guess back then they didn't sort the drivers out and made the V6 with whatever they had on hand. Since they introduced the 7506, they started sorting them and sending the bad ones to the V6, which would explain the price difference.

For your pleasure, dear Garrett, here is the link..I finally found it lol but the server seems down
frown.gif

http://music.multimedian.com/reviews/7506.html

This is a thread where Jude and other headfiers bash the hell out of the guy:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/archi...php/t-230.html

In my mind, they sound just the same, hence Jude and others think the guy is crazy, but I still maintain that the drivers are better in the 7506 which explains the huge price difference.

May 25, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
About the fabric, I removed it too, much easier on the ears now, but it still crushes my ears quite a bit, making it a lot less comfortable than the circumaural 7509.

Yes, the V6 is older than the 7506, but I guess back then they didn't sort the drivers out and made the V6 with whatever they had on hand. Since they introduced the 7506, they started sorting them and sending the bad ones to the V6, which would explain the price difference.

For your pleasure, dear Garrett, here is the link..I finally found it lol but the server seems down
frown.gif

http://music.multimedian.com/reviews/7506.html

This is a thread where Jude and other headfiers bash the hell out of the guy:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/archi...php/t-230.html

In my mind, they sound just the same, hence Jude and others think the guy is crazy, but I still maintain that the drivers are better in the 7506 which explains the huge price difference.

Thanks!!!
Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back