Thinking about getting a turntable for my setup, am i going about it right?
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ChevyMonsenhor

100+ Head-Fier
The idea of owning a record player has been on my mind for quite a long time, say, about 6 years now. I did some research in the past and from what i've seen and read, if i was to ever include a turntable on my setup, it would be a direct drive model, more specifically an used Technics SL-1200mk2 or a brand new Pioneer PLX-1000.
For a pre-amp, i was thinking about getting something to just hook it up to my living room Denon AV receiver, but i think the Onkyo Integra A-817XD from my home-office, which has a built-in MM/MC pre-amp (although i could never test it) would probably benefit more from it.
For cartridges and needles i was thinking about going with the classic Shure M44-7 or an Ortofon OM Pro S, both mounted to the stock Technics/Pioneer headshell.
I must say that i have no prior experiences with turntables, so, what do you guys think of this hypothetical setup?

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 9
In case you're not aware of it, if whatever turntable you want to use does not have preamp outputs, then you must hook the turntable's phono-outputs to a phono-preamp. A phono-preamp consists of a very specific EQ which is essential to getting the records to sound right.

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 9
In case you're not aware of it, if whatever turntable you want to use does not have preamp outputs, then you must hook the turntable's phono-outputs to a phono-preamp. A phono-preamp consists of a very specific EQ which is essential to getting the records to sound right.

Yes, i'm aware of that, that's why i mentioned i'm going to use my amp's integrated MM/MC phono input and ground, at least in theory it should be a good pre-amp since its from 1988

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Yes, i'm aware of that, that's why i mentioned i'm going to use my amp's integrated MM/MC phono input and ground, at least in theory it should be a good pre-amp since its from 1988

OK sweet. I just wasn't sure as you were talking about 2 different amps, one with and one without a phono preamp, so I just thought I'd double check with ya.

I also got into vinyl recently and so far I'm really enjoying the experience. I'm busy writing a series of articles regarding getting into vinyl and a couple of other tips and tricks (i.e why anyone would even want to get into vinyl, setting up the turn table and other equipment, how your environment can affect your listening experience, how to handle and care for your records, etc), so keep an eye out over at www.samma3a.com/tech for those :)

Jun 24, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 9
OK sweet. I just wasn't sure as you were talking about 2 different amps, one with and one without a phono preamp, so I just thought I'd double check with ya.

I also got into vinyl recently and so far I'm really enjoying the experience. I'm busy writing a series of articles regarding getting into vinyl and a couple of other tips and tricks (i.e why anyone would even want to get into vinyl, setting up the turn table and other equipment, how your environment can affect your listening experience, how to handle and care for your records, etc), so keep an eye out over at www.samma3a.com/tech for those :)
Shure thing, i'll keep an eye on it! Just being curious about it, what turntable do you have?

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 9

That is a beautiful turntable, reminds me a bit of the Rega models.
I'm not sure which one i'm going to pick up just yet, i was pretty firm on the Pioneer PLX-1000 before, specially because it had great reviews, but i could also pick a Reloop RP-7000MK2 or even a Rega Planar 2 for about the same price, despite this last one going against my idea of kicking the hobby with a DD turntable instead of BD.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 9
That is a beautiful turntable, reminds me a bit of the Rega models.
I'm not sure which one i'm going to pick up just yet, i was pretty firm on the Pioneer PLX-1000 before, specially because it had great reviews, but i could also pick a Reloop RP-7000MK2 or even a Rega Planar 2 for about the same price, despite this last one going against my idea of kicking the hobby with a DD turntable instead of BD.

Yeah I really like the minimalist approach of modern turntables. By the way, the song in the beginning of the review vid was recorded directly off of the Turn 2..so it's a pretty quiet and sweet sounding setup.
Unfortunately I haven't played enough around with these turntables yet to help you out with those choices, but for what it's worth I think the difference between turntables isn't quite as big as what you'd get between cartridges. Best thing to do is to just watch reviews of whichever product you're interested in to just make sure that there aren't any obvious problems like motor speed, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back