Thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2, are there any better options out there for me?
Nov 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AnimalChin

New Head-Fier
I am thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2. My reasons, in order, are as follows:

• It has an FM radio. I really want to listen to the radio at work so this would be perfect for that.
  • It plays FLAC, which I will have on it when I am not listening to the radio.
  • It can take a micro SD card so I can add files to it.
  • It has a cool touch screen, which I like the look of.
  • It can get the internet.
  • It has GPS, which is something that I think I would use occasionally.

I will most likely be paring this with Westone 4s or some other $250-$350 IEM of my choosing. Now is the DAC up to par for IEMs in this price range?Are there any better alternatives with some/all of the features that I listed, particularly one with a line out that can handle an external DAC? Should I be getting an external amp for this type of set up? Thanks for the help.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 5
I can't say for sure how the 4.2 would work with IEM's. I had the 5.0 version, and it was a player I enjoyed, but i don't use IEM's. Never tried the GPS.
The iPod Touch does not have GPS, but you can use a line-out and there are external DAC's avaialble for it....for a price. No FM tuner though...

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I can't say for sure how the 4.2 would work with IEM's. I had the 5.0 version, and it was a player I enjoyed, but i don't use IEM's. Never tried the GPS.
The iPod Touch does not have GPS, but you can use a line-out and there are external DAC's avaialble for it....for a price. No FM tuner though...

I thought the 5.0 didn't have the Wolfson DAC which the 4.2 has and is supposedly an improvement over the 5.0. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a Fiio X3 when they come out for my music and if the Galaxy 4.2 isn't up to my liking and just using the 4.2 for FM and a GPS. I could always hope that the 4.2 is rooted so that it can use Voodoo, but that might be wishful thinking. My original plan was to get the ipod nano because it does have an FM tuner, but it doesn't come with GPS either.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I thought the 5.0 didn't have the Wolfson DAC which the 4.2 has and is supposedly an improvement over the 5.0. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a Fiio X3 when they come out for my music and if the Galaxy 4.2 isn't up to my liking and just using the 4.2 for FM and a GPS. I could always hope that the 4.2 is rooted so that it can use Voodoo, but that might be wishful thinking. My original plan was to get the ipod nano because it does have an FM tuner, but it doesn't come with GPS either.

You are correct about the 5.0 not having the Wolfson. I never got the chance to try a 4.2 so I don't know if it is an improvement or not. As far as rooting the 4.2, if nobody has done it yet, it's only a matter of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back