Thinking about getting a Jeep...
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #16 of 24
My friend bought a 2007 Wrangler not too long ago and thought it was the epitome of cool, but it really didn't impress me when I took a ride in it recently: the thing shook excessively more than a truck of this type should and the interior materials looked like they were pulled from 1986 Honda Civic; not to mention the fact that it struggled to get to highway speeds from a dead stop in a reasonable amount of time.

Overall, Jeeps seem to be the sort of wanna-be offroad vehicles that aren't particularly good onroad vehicles either, at least in my opinion.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 24
with 44" tires you can forget about driving it the street. You'll basically need to trailer it to your weekend offroad spots. Consider that a lift and large wheels will give you really rotten gas mileage. If you plan to drive it hard and get some performance out of it, be prepared for single digit mpg. You would really be better off with a truck like the toyota FJ if you're never going to see offroad. At least something with IFS instead of a solid axle.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall, Jeeps seem to be the sort of wanna-be offroad vehicles that aren't particularly good onroad vehicles either, at least in my opinion.

while not the best on road jeeps are definitely not wanna-be off road vehicles. short of an h1 there is not very many production vehicles that can compete with a stock wrangler.

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #20 of 24
If you want a weekend rigger, buy it

but never intend to drive it on the road
those Interco Boggers are horrible on the road and I don't understand how they got a DOT rating

With tires that size even Dana 44's will not hold up
You'd need to look for Dana 60s if not Rockwells

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while not the best on road jeeps are definitely not wanna-be off road vehicles. short of an h1 there is not very many production vehicles that can compete with a stock wrangler.

Maybe, but I'm sure you could build or buy a true off road vehicle capable of putting any Jeep to shame when not on pavement, or a similar compact truck that could outrun a Jeep on the road, for much less than the MSRP of the Wrangler or any other models in Jeep's line for that matter.

Simply put, a Jeep is a jack of all trades, master of none type of truck: it can go offroad, and it can stay on the road, but it isn't particularly good at either.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #24 of 24
My dad has driven a Wrangler through jeep trails in Arizona with tons of rocks and stuff. Not sure if it was stock or not, we rented it. The closest I've probably come has been driving through very snowy, wet, and muddy dirt roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back