thinking about getting a guitar - suggestions?
Sep 26, 2004 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jboehle

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about learning to play the guitar. I would love to play some blues, but love rock music as well. I'm guessing an electric would be the way to go for me, but I don't really have any idea. I plan on going down to Mass Street Music (don't know if any of you guys have heard of it, it's supposed to be nationally known) in my hometown of Lawrence, KS, sometime this week to see what their suggestions are. However, I'd like to get some suggestions from fellow Head-Fi members beforehand. I just need something basic, hopefully in the < $200 range. I might be persuaded to up the budget, though. I would enjoy building my own DIY guitar tube amp as well, not just for the experience, but possibly to get more for my money. So, what suggestions do you guys have? Is there a killer guitar forum somewhere on the 'net? I searched Google but haven't come up with anything satisfying yet.

-Jason

Sep 26, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 29
Hmm actually i haven't found a good guitar forum since the old alt.guitar newsthreads. under 200 is a hard call - i'd say under 300 you can find same great deals on Fender Stratocasters made in Japan in the 80's, or even some American Standard Strats once in a blue moon for that price.

Sep 26, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 29
As a beginner, and at a $200 price point, I'd suggest handling as many guitars as you can and find the one that feels the best ... ie: good neck and string feel. It's hard enough learning to play without shredding your fingers on a difficult neck. After a year or two, if you're still into it, you'll know better what works for you and can shop for a better guitar.

Sep 26, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 29
You might want to consider getting an acoustic instead. I've heard that you become a better guitar player faster that way. And should you lose interest, it won't be as expensive as the electric guitar route because you won't neet to buy an amp (if you get a cheap acoustic that is). I spent $800+ on an electric several years ago but wish I had just bought an acoustic. All my friends who have played guitars for a while also prefer acoustic. I've heard good things about the Seagull S6 acoustic from Canada. I haven't checked in a while, but they were going for $200-$300 on ebay.

If you decide to stick with an electric, I'd suggest a squire. I heard so many bad things about them, but when I finally felt one, I was pretty impressed. It'll give you something to learn on, and if you get bored with it, you wouldn't have wasted so much money like I did.

Sep 26, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 29
agree to a point to the above post - but let me say that no Danelectro will feel good lol. Sub 200 guitars are more miss than hit - dont settle and buy an axe that will make your beginning lessons miserable. That means no knockoffs, no lesser lines of better guitars (squire? bleh. haven't found too many new-school epiphones i liked either) and the like. You might want to check out the Yamahas tho, some of those pacificas could do the trick.

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 29
jboehle: You haven't played the guitar before, have you?
wink.gif
Well, I'd recommend to listen to Tuberollers advice and start acoustic. You'll probably notice that that's still rather hard for your fingers, but that's nothing compared to the strings of electric guitars...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / Lini

Sep 27, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 29
I've been taking guitar lessons for about 14 months. I started out with an acoustic guitar and after about 2 months moved to an electric. I found it was easier to play the electric. I picked up an Epiphone Standard Les Paul with a tremolo (unusual for this guitar) for $225 with a hard case. I got lucky and a friends son decided he no longer wanted to play. Go to a local Guitar Center, Sam Ash or whatever music store you have in the area and they usually have a nice selection of used guitars.

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 29
Do you yankees have Mexican-made Fender Strats down there? In Canada, you can buy either Mexican or American-made Strats. (Mexicans are way cheaper, and they sound almost exactly the same as the Americans)

also, squiers are good too.

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Do you yankees have Mexican-made Fender Strats down there? In Canada, you can buy either Mexican or American-made Strats. (Mexicans are way cheaper, and they sound almost exactly the same as the Americans)

also, squiers are good too.

Yeah, Mex = 350, AM = 800; at one point I think there were Japanese fenders, but I dunno...

Sep 27, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 29
the tex mex strats are ok, but at that price range something like the yamaha is going to get you better build quality and parts - but for $350 i'd go used!

electric is easier for the hands that's for sure. lower action and lesser gauge on the strings = fingers wont bleed lol. plus all that fun stuff like bending the strings for solos are darn hard to do on acoustic. since you like the blues, etc, you could go acoustic and do a shuffle rhythm thing, but you'll probably want to go electric for ease and for more immediate "fun" factor.

but nothing is like just picking up an acoustic and strumming - ah, a pocket piano.

Sep 27, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 29
Thanks for all the quick replies! I'm still torn between acoustic and electric. With an electric could I play very quietly and listen through headphones? It seems that if I wanted to play acoustic late at night when the wife and kids are in bed, maybe it would be too loud? I do love the sound of acoustic, but the whole bleeding fingers thing kind of turns me off. I too have read on several sites today exactly what you guys have said - electric is easier to play, but acoustic makes you a better player in the long run.

Keep the suggestions/comments rolling in!

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back