Thinking about getting a good source...
Jun 16, 2004 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
This is really just to get some ideas, as I don't have the money yet to buy anything. I'm looking for a cd player (can be seperate transport and DAC if you think it's better) around the £1000 level ($1800). I want something that I will never really need to upgrade from again if possible. It will be paired with an Ear+ tube amp, and either UE-10 Pros or Grado PS-1s (or maybe both!) Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

One last note : It must be available in the UK... Importing is OK, but i'd rather avoid it if possible due to all the taxes!

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 2
If you want red book (cd) only source, check out Arcam FMJ CD23 which can be had for a reasonable price as used these days. I like it better than CD33 (the successor) myself, although I cannot pinpoint the actual reason. CD23 just seems tad more fluid without robbing details, imho.

Another route might be a universal player with upgrade MODs done to it. Audiocom UK offers this service for Pioneer, Marantz, Denon and Philips units. Pioneer is generally suggested as a reliable and relatively quiet transport, so it might be a good platform for mods.

Check out also Audioasylum boards (especially hi-res SACD and DVD-A forums).

Best of luck in your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back