Thinking about getting a Beyerdynamic DT 770-
Jan 18, 2010 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Facade19

100+ Head-Fier
I have been pondering for a few weeks now on acquiring a new pair of cans. Currently I am using the MS-1's and while they are great for rock and jazz, they lack a certain quality when it comes down to classical (in particular opera). Opeth, Dream Theater and Tool sound great, but Richard Strauss and Gustav Mahler not so much. Maybe it could be my source, Samsung P3, but from what I have read other owners do not find the similar concerns that I have discovered.

For instance, on another forum, owners of the P3 have sworn that it sounds great with different cans. Now, I have read reviews on AKG;s, Audio-Technica, but my gut tells me that the Beyerdynamic could be what I am looking for.

There are two versions of the DT 770's, the 80 and 250 (I am clueless as to what the differences are). Would they useful and qualified or should I pass them up? Would they be good with my source, or should I instead dedicate some funds towards an amp? It is just that I am skeptical as to whether an amp can upgrade my classical experience with the MS-1's. Thank you very much for any insightful replies.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19's Sig
Samsung P3---> Alessandro MS-1 (happy with what I have)

You might want to change your sig
tongue.gif

But the DT770/80 feels like it has less control over the music however it is easier to drive.

You will want a portable amp for the DT770/250 (and a Line Out Dock). I didn't get a chance to listen to my friend's DT770/250's before he sold them but the DT770/80 are quite bassy and a bit loose sounding in the lower end. They're also a bit sibilant. Search up some DT770/250 vs DT770/80 threads.

FWIR - The DT770/250 is the better one, the bass a cleaned up/tighter and the highs a bit better.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 14
I am happy with what I have, but would be even more pleased with what I could have.
biggrin.gif

One thing I have come to realize is that over my time here in these forums is that a quality amp can make the difference. The problem is that I cannot determine which one would be my fit (plus I am afraid that an amp would not make a big difference for my MS-1's). But if I were to get more expensive cans, then the question would be resolved without a minute wasted.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 14
I used to own the DT 770 250 ohm 2005 edition, and thought they did very well with classical music.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 14
I owned the DT770's but I didn't liked them
Now i'm using a Shure 440 for portable and a Ultrasone Pro650 at home.
Far better sound then the DT770, only the comfort of the DT770 is very good

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by keezzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What was it about them that you did not like?
redface.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two versions of the DT 770's, the 80 and 250

No. There are four stock versions
biggrin.gif

1.Pro 80 ohm
2.Pro 250 ohm
3.Consumer Premium 2005 edition (250 ohm)
4.M (80 ohm)

And then you can order and choose between Manufacture DT770's in various impedances like 32 ohm and 600 ohm. With velour or leather earpads.
They all sound different.
Enjoy your search.....

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by keezzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is that the 80 or 250 ohm version?

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. There are four stock versions
biggrin.gif

1.Pro 80 ohm
2.Pro 250 ohm
3.Consumer Premium 2005 edition (250 ohm)
4.M (80 ohm)

And then you can order and choose between Manufacture DT770's in various impedances like 32 ohm and 600 ohm. With velour or leather earpads.
They all sound different.
Enjoy your search.....

As Tiemen just said, there is a total of 10 different DT770s. From what people have mentioned so far, they all are different. Your best bet would be to order them all and sell all those you don't like
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 14
I have a pair of DT770/Pro (80 ohm) cans that I used to use in conjunction with my HF-1s, primarily for watching movies and playing games. They do that bass-heavy sound that newer movies love and had a pretty good soundstage for gaming. Nice and large and all that. While the Beyers, with their crazy-large amounts of bass output, were fun for the occasional listening session of bands like KMFDM or Combichrist, they never really came up to the HF-1's standards for music in general. Lots of bass, decent treble, and a hole in between. Relatively loose and sloppy sound all around, and the muddiest of the six high-end headphones I've owned (Grado HF-1 and HF-2, Shuire E2 and E4, Ety ER-4S in addition).

Speaking of, the HF-2 pretty well supplanted both the HF-1 and DT770 in my main rig, for music, movie and gaming. Since picking up the ER-4S, they've become my main gaming headset, and make for an excellent--but very different--listening experience, IMNSHO.

Suffice it to say that at this point I'd probably give the DT770 a pass. They worked for me at the time (and still do, to an extent) but I've since found several options which I find superior, at a comparable price point. Specifically to the question of cans for classical music and opera, based on my own limited experience, I'd put either of the Grados and even ER-4S well ahead of the DT770.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of DT770/Pro (80 ohm) cans that I used to use in conjunction with my HF-1s, primarily for watching movies and playing games. They do that bass-heavy sound that newer movies love and had a pretty good soundstage for gaming. Nice and large and all that. While the Beyers, with their crazy-large amounts of bass output, were fun for the occasional listening session of bands like KMFDM or Combichrist, they never really came up to the HF-1's standards for music in general. Lots of bass, decent treble, and a hole in between. Relatively loose and sloppy sound all around, and the muddiest of the six high-end headphones I've owned (Grado HF-1 and HF-2, Shuire E2 and E4, Ety ER-4S in addition).

Speaking of, the HF-2 pretty well supplanted both the HF-1 and DT770 in my main rig, for music, movie and gaming. Since picking up the ER-4S, they've become my main gaming headset, and make for an excellent--but very different--listening experience, IMNSHO.

Suffice it to say that at this point I'd probably give the DT770 a pass. They worked for me at the time (and still do, to an extent) but I've since found several options which I find superior, at a comparable price point. Specifically to the question of cans for classical music and opera, based on my own limited experience, I'd put either of the Grados and even ER-4S well ahead of the DT770.

Thank you for that. I think I will have to reconsider my proposed purchase of the DT 770's.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 14
Can someone explain the difference between these two versions?

Pro 250 ohm
Consumer Premium 2005 edition (250 ohm)

I listened to a pair of Pro 80 ohm, and did not like the overwhelming bass. It sounds like the Pro 250 ohm is a nice improvement.

I would be driving these with an Ipod, LOD, and an amp (yet to be determined).

My music ranges all over the place; pop, rock, folk, new age instrumental, jazz, country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back