Thinking about buying the Shure SE530's
Jul 5, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on your choice! However, if I were you and aspirng to do what you are within music, professionally, I might look into a high-end headphone or IEM that covers the bass, mids, and trebles of your sound spectrum more. I'm sure you must have to consider the high parts of songs/compositions as much as mids and bass and the SE530's do have quite a significant treble roll off. Just a thought. For personal listening they're great but not sure if they are gona be satisfactory when used in studios etc.

Once again, realized that
wink.gif
I also figure that by that point, if it looks like I'll be doing that a lot and I have more money then I'm not going to hesitate to by Ultimate Ears 11 or whatever they are up to at that point. But I figure there is absolutely no way I can justify that spending 900+ dollars yet on those. But definitely understand what you are saying and thought about that long ago. That will come with time and money. I think the SE530s can do more than enough for me until that day comes. Thanks for all of your help!!!

p.s. concerning the treble roll-off of the se530s, I've heard it's bad, not that bad, fine. is there any way to modify it to make it better or is it something that I'll just deal with. Chances are I won't notice it too much anyway but I figure it's something I could address

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by robenco18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again, realized that
wink.gif
I also figure that by that point, if it looks like I'll be doing that a lot and I have more money then I'm not going to hesitate to by Ultimate Ears 11 or whatever they are up to at that point. But I figure there is absolutely no way I can justify that spending 900+ dollars yet on those. But definitely understand what you are saying and thought about that long ago. That will come with time and money. I think the SE530s can do more than enough for me until that day comes. Thanks for all of your help!!!

p.s. concerning the treble roll-off of the se530s, I've heard it's bad, not that bad, fine. is there any way to modify it to make it better or is it something that I'll just deal with. Chances are I won't notice it too much anyway but I figure it's something I could address

Sounds like you've thoroughly thought everyting out and reached an informed descision which is great! Glad I could help in anyway
cool.gif
. As regards combating/improving the treble roll off of the se530's, you can use EQ on whatever source you use, but I believe this does downgrade on SQ, though I've never detected such in my limited audiophile experience. Also what the synergy between the se530's and the sound source you pair it with play a significant factor. For example, the D2 which is airy, detailed, bright etc and has great treble extension and detail should marry well with the se530's which would compliment it. Also, if you use amps, the synergy of those with your hps and source is to be considered. Apart from that, I know little to nothing about studio equipment, but I'm sure that you can really use things in there to address the treble roll off of the se530's with all those knobs and things you can configure and adjust!

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you've thoroughly thought everyting out and reached an informed descision which is great! Glad I could help in anyway
cool.gif
. As regards combating/improving the treble roll off of the se530's, you can use EQ on whatever source you use, but I believe this does downgrade on SQ, though I've never detected such in my limited audiophile experience. Also what the synergy between the se530's and the sound source you pair it with play a significant factor. For example, the D2 which is airy, detailed, bright etc and has great treble extension and detail should marry well with the se530's which would compliment it. Also, if you use amps, the synergy of those with your hps and source is to be considered. Apart from that, I know little to nothing about studio equipment, but I'm sure that you can really use things in there to address the treble roll off of the se530's with all those knobs and things you can configure and adjust!

Yeah I thought about the EQ settings and such. I guess in the iPod I could use the treble booster and such but I'm not a big fan of messing around with the EQ settings. I think it would hinder the the SQ as well.

I don't really know what you mean by synergy or D2 or amps. I haven't gotten around to researching that. I'm trying not to spend more money than I need to. 305 dollars is more than enough to put towards headphones. an amp and stuff is later down the line, if needed. As well as, don't they take away the portability of the earphones? anyway, thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by robenco18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I thought about the EQ settings and such. I guess in the iPod I could use the treble booster and such but I'm not a big fan of messing around with the EQ settings. I think it would hinder the the SQ as well.

I don't really know what you mean by synergy or D2 or amps. I haven't gotten around to researching that. I'm trying not to spend more money than I need to. 305 dollars is more than enough to put towards headphones. an amp and stuff is later down the line, if needed. As well as, don't they take away the portability of the earphones? anyway, thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

By synergy I just mean how your source (appears your portable source is an ipod) and headphones and amp (if you got one) combine together to give a sound signature. The D2 is a cowon DAP/mp3 player. I was just using it as an example, of how, theoretically it should work well with the se530s as they have contrasting sound signatures. I am new to the audiophile world too so I dont have a portable amp yet either but, though they are portable they will make your rig less portable yes! They'll make it bulky. No probs with with the help dude! Glad I could. And yes, I understand the want to control expendature! As they say 'mind your wallet!' Good luck with your se530s when you get em!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #20 of 22
Hey robenco18, it just dawned on me how many great custom IEMs there are at great prices nowadays. Therefore, I think that if you have some good money right now and especially since you are also a musician, you should invest in a pair of high-end customs. The best choice for price/performance is probably the Freq Show If I had the money right now, I would purchase it without thinking. According to many reviews here on head-fi, the FreQ Shows rival UE-10s/UE-11s in sound quality at a fraction of the price, plus have great build quality and replaceable cables. If you think that the Shows may be beyond your budget, you might also consider Livewires T1 or Tour de FreQ. These two are also built very well, but won't sound quite as good.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey robenco18, it just dawned on me how many great custom IEMs there are at great prices nowadays. Therefore, I think that if you have some good money right now and especially since you are also a musician, you should invest in a pair of high-end customs. The best choice for price/performance is probably the Freq Show If I had the money right now, I would purchase it without thinking. According to many reviews here on head-fi, the FreQ Shows rival UE-10s/UE-11s in sound quality at a fraction of the price, plus have great build quality and replaceable cables. If you think that the Shows may be beyond your budget, you might also consider Livewires T1 or Tour de FreQ. These two are also built very well, but won't sound quite as good.

thanks for the opinion but i'm going to be going with the 530s. I can get them for 305 dollars and prefer these over custom fit headphones right now. after a few years or so i'll probably look into an amp and custom fit headphones, but for now i think i'm going to be very happy with the 530s. thanks for your thoughts though, i will definitely keep the FreQ Shows in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back