thinking about buying my 1st mp3 player...
Jan 6, 2008 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Harry Tuttle

100+ Head-Fier
There's so many brands making mp3 players it's all very confusing! What I would need is a 4-8gb player with the best possible output because I won't be using an amp (I will be using it with the yuin's pk2). I don't care at all about video playback or any other options, just the music! Also it would be nice if the battery was easily repleacable. Please give me suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 23
The Sony S610 series sounds great with PK2's. They also meet all your criteria except one: removable battery.

The SQ is top notch, the best I've heard.

Rick

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 23
Well, let me begin with the cheaper options:

Sansa Clip: Sansa doesn't have the best reputation for sound quality. But all the reviews actually praises this tiny thing for excellent sound quality. It is a little basic...but apparently plays very well! Can be operated from a pocket.

Sony S-6xx series: Basic Sony-player with excellent sound. And this time without the horrible SonicStage for managing files. Just drag & drop or use WMP. And it's fairly cheap too. Pocket friendly.

Sony A-8xx series: Excellent sound quality. Same file transfer method as the S-series mentioned above. This one actually comes with pretty good earphones. Really nice build quality!

Cowon i7: Very good sound quality. 60 hours battery life! GUI is a little dated and navigation could be easier to use. Not pocket friendly. Cowon updates the firmware regularly and is free for download.

Cowon D2: (I have one). I love it. Excellent sound quality. Drives any headphones you throw at it (within reason). Expandable through SD-cards. Excellent touchscreen - but because of it not so pocket friendly. Battery life 50+ hours.

Cowon F2: A little gem from Cowon. I think it's being fazed out. It's a shame cause it's a cracking little player. My sister has one and Im really impressed with it. It's on sale here in Europe at the moment - might be where you are as well. If you can get it cheap you get a quality player with excellent sound for a bargain. Included FM-radio is actually really good too!

Iriver Clix2: Best looking player in my opinion. Very easy to operate because of simple navigation. Reviews praise it for it's sound quality.

Also have a look at Creative Zen (the new tiny one with a big screen). It looks nice, is expandable, and is fairly priced. Should have good sound quality.

Then there's the ipods. I don't like the sound of the new nano much. I found 2nd gen to be alright. But the new one sounds harsh to me (harsh not accurate or detailed). If you want a lot of storage ipod classic is hard to beat.

Good luck with finding your player!

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 23
I am very particular about the quality of the source, so I go with lossless only. In my case I chose for FLAC.
Since there are only a few DAPs that (natively) support that (and I figured that if they support it they really care about SQ) my choice was limited.
I went with the Cowon X5 (60 Gb), but if 8 Gb is enough for you I think you should check out the Cowon iAudio 7.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 23
I just ordered the Sony NWZ-A818 and cannot wait to get it. It will replace a very solid Samsung YP-T9 4GB player.

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 23
I recommend the Cowon iAudio7

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 23
im also planning on buying my first portable audio device
before i was thinking that id just get an ipod the nano one
but after hitting your site with google and coming over
im beginning to doubt the ipod choice
now i want a player that plays flac
im not really an audiophile or something like that but i want my music to be nice and good
thats why i did a search in google "hi-fi portable music"
smily_headphones1.gif

i want details and clarity of instruments and i love base.. or err bass?.. :p
i love rock music but i also like classical ones
metallica, guns and roses, bond, canon in D major, bach, beethoven
smily_headphones1.gif

am i wrong to assume that flac should be a reqirement?
i usually buy the cd i rip into my pc.. or this time into the player
so.. i have thought of these 2 players
iaudio7 and meizu.
iaudio7 being the rave of the audiophiles..
meizu cause it might also be a good enough player and quite cheap..
i saw the recommendations from the previous post but im hoping for comments on the meizu.. thanks..
smily_headphones1.gif

currently i have a senn pmx60 the most comfortable headphones i had on the go (connected to my sony-ericsson phone or psp.. man psp sound is crap :p ) and it sounds quite good vs the sony earphones i had.. any recommendation for an upgrade.. i dont do the amp thing tho..
smily_headphones1.gif

i love your site btw.. been browsing here for quite sometime.. just loads a bit slow for me.. :p

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 23
The iAudio 7 has great SQ and is feature rich yet has a tiny screen with a dated interface. Only get it if you care to record audio, play FLAC, etc. If you just care about listening to music, get either of the Sony players. It's the most comfortable to use and the sound will make you never want to buy an iPod ever again.

Get the A81X if you: want to watch video and don't care about radio.

Get the S61X if you: need a radio and don't care for video.

EDIT: Just get the Sony A818. Sounds like exactly what you need.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 23
After browsing this site for the last month trying to decide what my dap purchase will be, I still have failed to come to a conclusion.
I just purchased a Sony A818 and promptly shipped it off to Jersey for my Father's Birthday. Had to get rid of it quick before I was tempted to demo it for a couple of days!
I was going to order an Iaudio 7 from B&H just a couple of hours ago but I am afraid I am going to take issue with the swing touch. I listen 6+ hours a day at work and have the need for easy one handed navigation. My decision will probably come at the end of CES 2008 just in case anything special hits the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back