Thinking about buying a Sony MZR700.....
Sep 23, 2001 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MadDog5145

500+ Head-Fier
and I just want to know is it a good buy. I heard positive reviews from websites and people here but would it be worth it wait for newer players? I don't want to get burned next month finding some new technology for MD comes out like NetMD. So when will NetMD come out to the public and in retail stores (I prefer not buy online; also dont have a credit card
wink.gif
)?

Should I go ahead and buy the Sony MZR700 or wait? Too many choices, too many choices...
confused.gif

Sep 23, 2001 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 10
Net MD? in the us!? in stores!? HA!

Right now, the most current line of MiniDisc portable recorders is the *00 line (R900/R700, etc) you're looking at. I own an R700 - and love it. wonderful unit - check the portable audio section's "Featured Reviews" section - I wrote up a little review on it.....

go for it. The only thing you'll be missing that may come out anytime soon in the U.S. is Type R in portables, like the R909 - but THAT isn't even out yet in the U.S.

To the best of my knowledge, Net MD is two generations, and potentially two years, away from retail stores in the U.S. of A.

GO FOR IT!

Sep 26, 2001 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 10
instead of thinking about the 700 im thinking about the 750 ($300). However I found a store selling a 900 for $350. Should i go for the 900 or should i save $50? are there alot of good features on the 900 to buy it over the 750 and spending more money?

Sep 26, 2001 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, the 750 has really no advantages over the 700 except the FM tuner - if it's worth that much more money in your opinion, go for it.

I can't comment on the R900 - I don't have any experience with it. It did, however, get generally good reviews, tho some disliked the double jog level (dial?) design....

Sep 26, 2001 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm not sure I'd be as pessimistic and coolvij. The R900 made it to american stores within a year of being released. and the NetMD won't even be released in Japan until 12/01. Sony is evidently showing PC's with NetMD drives. so maybe we'll see them sooner than past MD innovations.

Sep 27, 2001 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 10
MadDog5145,

I have the MZR900 and paid $271 total for a brand new one from etronichaven.com. You may want to take the plunge and purchase from the internet for that price. I researched for the lowest price and someone at a minidisc discussion board mentioned etronichaven and a online coupon for about 7% off.

The 900 does have more features, but some are not necessary. For the price of a 700 I found a 900. Could not pass up on that. I love my 900 with the Sony 888. Great sound and portability.

Do not get buyers remorse when you do take the plunge. Net MD and Type-R may be the next great things, but enjoy what you are about to buy. You won't go wrong with either.

If you need more MD info check out this website:

http://www.minidisct.com/cgi-bin/Ult.../UltraBoard.pl

Regards - reynman

Sep 27, 2001 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 10
bearwise: I wasn't pessimistic - just realist
biggrin.gif

Even if it does come out in 2002 for the US (which I think is EXTREMELY unlikely, personally), he would have a decent MD collection started.........I dunno.

I just think an R^^^ series purchase is wise right now....proven stuff. As of yet, Net MD is still an unproved feature - and who knows what kind of security features will have to be cracked before its really useful?

Sep 28, 2001 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 10
bought a MZR700.
biggrin.gif

So far so good (after 45 minutes of figuring how to record correctly, thank God fo sync rec.
wink.gif
) but I was wondering if the 700 can recharge NiMH?

Sep 28, 2001 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 10
All right! That's great to hear.....the R700 really is a nice budget MD - it does everything* - and more!

*Except all the stuff better models do....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back