thinking about building a tube amp
Dec 12, 2001 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

b3n113

New Head-Fier
I was considering building a tube amp.. - would any one have a good point of reference to send me off to for source materials, designs etc.

Currently i'm going to either pickup a;
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.. or a Sennheiser HD 600
( feel free to comment on either )
For audio source .. i've got a denon dvd-3300
( again feel free to tell me it's a piece of crap if you like, or not
smily_headphones1.gif
)

And i'd be open for advise on what kind of interconnects, line conditioners.. etc.

( i probually violated a order of where to post this and it probually spans all forum topics, but what can i say.. I'm lazy )

thanks in advance all

Dec 12, 2001 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 6
If I were you I would look to the Tube DIY forum in www.Audioasylum.com . This is a great place to look for headphone amp DIYers, but I think that experience w/ tube amps is somewhat limited.

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Check out the Bottlehead forum in audioasylum. Not specifically headphone oriented, but the Paramour kit is easy as pie to build, sounds insanely good, and makes music with the AKG K-1000 like nothing I've ever heard in 25+ years of listening, owning and selling audio gear.

The Paramours/AkG's have sent packing a Cary 300Sei and a Micro ZOTL paired with Senn 600s, and beaten a pair of Cary SE 2A3 mono blocks paired with the AKG's. Not bad for a $550 kit with a built-in on-line support community, regional user groups and wild upgrade potential . . .

Dec 12, 2001 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 6
Don't know what kind of amp you want to build, headphone or power, but I just built the HD83 Headphone Amplifier kit from World Audio Design this weekend. Haven't had much time to burn it in, but so far it sounds very nice. They also have power amps in kit form. They're at www.worldaudiodesign.co.uk. Their website also provides all the schematics and wiring instructions in pdf format online, which is pretty neat. Shipping to the states was almost a third of the kit price, so that might be a consideration for something as heavy as a tube amp.
If you're looking for a headphone amp not in kit form there are several projects at the headwize forums at www.headwize.com in their library section. Some are pretty ambitious. Most of them list at least partial places to get the parts. Hope this helps.

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Go to bottlehead.com .You will find links to others who have modded the Foreplay preamp kit ($149.00)to an effective and sweet-sounding tube headamp as I did.I have since given it away but I just ordered an updated kit that I will modify as well.This is a VERY easy to assemble kit and requires only basic schematic and soldering skills and the willingness to be frequently shocked.There are various methods for conversion but if you find yourself confused or lost there are many builders linked to the site that are willing to provide assistance.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back