Thinking about ATH-AD900s, need advice
Feb 2, 2008 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Duke309

Head-Fier
Okay, right now what I have is a pair of alessandro ms-1s and audio technica ath-a500s coming out of a EMU 0404 usb.

First off the things I don't like about my current cans, I have the hd414 pads on my ms-1s with the quarter mod and that definitely made them more comfortable, but they are still unwearable for more than 45 minutes or so. Also they are very very fatiguing on the ears, I think the high end is too strong.

Now on the A500s, I like them, but they are a little too recessed sounding and a little muddy, I like the in your face sound and clearity of the ms1s, but just can't stand them for too long. I love how comfortable these are though. The bass is also a little weak.

I'm looking to spend around 200-250, 300 if i absolutely have to. I listen to a lot of metal and hard rock, and only a little bit of classical and groove music.

Would the AD900's fit the bill or should I look at something else?

The A500s and MS-1s are for sale btw.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 7
still depends on a few factors... u need to try them before since everyone has different head, ears size etc. Any headhone can be very comfy for someone and be not at all with somebody else... Try them from audiocubes and u can always return them if u arent happy...

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Audio cubes is where I originally bought my A500s, but looking over their return policy, it looks like it would be a huge pain in the ass to return something. I think I'm going to try and get somewhere based in the US to price match them.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Well I currently have the Grado Sr60 and AD700. I found the SR60 to be physically painful to listen to and not because they were uncomfortable. The highs were simply too much. Compared to the grados, the AD700 are smooth and laid back, while still having great treble detail and energy. They also have a much larger soundstage than the SR60 making all music seem more full sounding. Id take them anyday over the SR60, even for rock music.

The AD900 should sound far more detailed and have much more clarity compared to the A500. They wont have and in your face sound like the MS-1 does and may still be too laidback for your tastes though.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 7
The closed and open AT's are nothing alike and I don't think you can go wrong with the AD900 in that price range.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the advice, I'm ordering the AD900s right now. Strangely enough I'm ordering them from audiocubes through amazon. Some how it's a significantly cheaper price, 229$ with 9 dollar shipping instead of $250 with 15 buck shipping straight from audiocubes.

A500s and MS-1s definitely for sale now.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 7
the AD900 used to be 219 from audiocubes (thats the price I payed them a month ago). They raised all their prices for a eason that I ignore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back