Thinking about a DSLR
Oct 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

D-EJ915

He...or is it she...is a......Headphoneus Supremus
I've been toying with the idea of getting a dslr for a while to replace my Canon G6 but I have 2 things. I've got 2 batteries from the G6 which work in the Canon DSLRs and my parent's old Minolta has the 35-70mm zoom/macro lens. What do you guys think would be the better option keeping this in mind. I would mainly be using this for macro-ish pictures just fyi.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Neither Canon nor Minolta respect backwards compatibility enough to consider based on old gear.

Go to a camera store. Hold the relevant Canon and Nikon DSLRs in your price range, and buy the one that feels better. Those two have the most extensive systems, which means the most available lenses both new and used, the most available lenses for rental, the most accessories, the most knowledge bases and support, and the most of everything. Both are fantastic systems; usually, people find they agree more with the ergonomics of one than the other. I know a lot of people (like me) who went with Nikon because the cameras feel so intuitive in our hands compared to Canon, while I also know several who made the exact opposite decision. Neither is wrong; just get the one that feels best to you.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd suggest looking at the features and menu screens and judging the candidates by how easy they are to use.

See ya
Steve

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 7
hmmm, If the minolta you have has a Maxxum lens, I would suggest a Sony DSLR since the minolta maxxum lenses are compatible. Sony sort of a newcomer [having built their camera based off Minolta] but are very respectable interms of quality. I have extensive use of all 3 Canon, Nikon and Sony. And truthfully, Sony is just as good as any of the other two. I'll probably get some criticism for endorsing them, but they have a very nice collection of lenses to choose from and also have a variety of the coveted Carl Zeiss lenses built just for Sony; you might already have a compatible lens so why not?

Remember, the eye behind the camera is the most important feature to have for taking a breath taking picture.

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Olympus e420 + 14~42mm lens is around $520
Olympus 35mm macro lens is about $200.

For $720, that is an awesome macro setup imo (provided that you will only shoot under good lighting. If not, get one of those $30 ebay ring flash)

EDIT: However, obviously, the batteries and the lens that you already have are not compatible :/ .

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 7
I don't think either the extra batties or an old lens are worth basing your decision of an SLR system on. The two most important parts, IMO, are ergonomics and availability of lenses/accessories that interest you. Canon generally has a better selection of high-end telephoto lenses (Nikon's are much more expensive and hard to find), whereas Nikon has a much better flash system. Sony has a novel live-view system on some of their cameras, as well as unique Carl Zeiss lenses. Olympus boast the smallest DSLR's and some very unique (and good) lenses. And Pentax is a flavor of their own as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back