Thinking about a dedicated headphone amplifier
Dec 23, 2017 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thegen

Head-Fier
I have the Meridian Explorer 2 DAC/AMP and it sounds wonderful, though I miss an external volume knob and was thinking about getting a dedicated headphone amp to be able to control the volume easily. Does it matter which amp I get? Will some suit better when it comes to the sound?

Some I have in mind. But it must suit Grados well.

Pro-Ject Head Box S
Schiit Magni 3
Schiit Vali 2

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 3
If you're keeping your Explorer 2 as your DAC and just using the line out from it, I've heard really good things about the Magni 3 and I'm about to get one myself to replace my Magni 2. The Vali is more of something you would get if you wanted to start messing around with tubes. The Head Box and Magni 3 both have pre-outs. And Tubes on Grados are a really good combo however the Vali isn't all tube it's more hybrid. Depends on if you want tube or solid state between the 2 Schiits. But if you wanted Solid state with the Grados I would say the Magni. The Head Box doesn't have as much power as the Magni, Magni has less THD. For the price the Magni is the better choice.

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah I've been leaning towards the Magni 3. I like the design of it and I've only read good things about it. Though I am perfectly happy with my Meridian Explorer 2, it's just that I want the physical volume knob, without changing the sound to the worse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back