Think of adding subwoofer to setup but need advice
May 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

phandrew

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying the Swan H6 or Audioengine A8 subwoofer to my current setup in sig.

The question I have is that if i do buy the sub is this how the setup will be? DAC - Subwoofer RCA in - Subwoofer RCA out to speakers RCA in. Is that how to set it up properly? Will this allow the speakers to play full frequency?

May 14, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 4
I wouldn't bother with the swan simply because I don't believe a 6.5" driver is a subwoofer.
From reading the audioengine's page it looks like that's how you'd set it up, but it doesn't have a proper crossover (you'd still be sending the full range signal to your swans which isn't ideal).

May 14, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 4
  I wouldn't bother with the swan simply because I don't believe a 6.5" driver is a subwoofer.
From reading the audioengine's page it looks like that's how you'd set it up, but it doesn't have a proper crossover (you'd still be sending the full range signal to your swans which isn't ideal).

it may be not ideal but it's really not a big deal imo. This is basically my setup and my subwoofer overshadows the bass from my speaker. I had to be very picky in order to find it annoying how there's no proper crossover. But having a proper crossover is nice because everything blends in better. The only way i got the crossover to work with active speakers was to connect to my onboard sound card (which supports 7.1) and get a software that has room management/ bass management (like jriver media center) and do the crossover on that. 

May 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm thinking of buying the Swan H6 or Audioengine A8 subwoofer to my current setup in sig.

The question I have is that if i do buy the sub is this how the setup will be? DAC - Subwoofer RCA in - Subwoofer RCA out to speakers RCA in. Is that how to set it up properly? Will this allow the speakers to play full frequency?

Yes. The A8 seems the better choice to me, too. Yes. That is the best way to set it up, and the S8B FAQ says that the signal passed to the speakers is full range: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Subwoofers/S8B-Powered-Subwoofer

You might also look around for what pro audio and home audio subs are available. Here in the US, I would never recommend the A8 for what it costs--there are definitely better subs available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back