Think my NFB-15.32 is dying(suggestions please)
Jul 22, 2016 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MooTaters

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: I've posted a new thread, made up my mind and decided to start looking into a new setup(dac and amp or combo).

Sorry, I know it's a long post.

So I've been getting sporadic static out of my Audio-gd NFB-15.32.  It seems to happen after a while of being on, probably after it reaches the maximum temp it will reach during operation(though I can't say that for a fact from memory).  I'm really not sure how to troubleshoot this issue, since I got it the power cable has been an issue of sorts with how incredibly loose it is(nick it and it will lose power).  When I got it it didn't take long for there to be issues with the USB, it had me pulling my hair.  I attempted to send it back to Audio-gd through USPS(if you know UPS/Fedex shipping costs to China you understand why), that was a mistake as I was without it for maybe 6 months, and was lucky it made it back even though Audio-gd never received it.  Ever since I've been using it through optical instead of USB.  This is probably the earliest version of the NFB-15.32 bought in early 2013, probably saw 6 months of use at most out of that year and has been in use since.

I really don't know that any troubleshooting will fix the problem, but if anyone has ideas they're welcome.  As stated above it is nowhere near cheap to send this to china last I checked, so while I know they have great service(according to many members), I may be considering a sidegrade instead and maybe trying to sell it to someone who may like to repair it or for parts.  The reason(for considering a sidegrade instead) is that if problems arose again soon enough after repairs I can't see sending it back over and over.

So if nothing else, suggestions for sidegrades are welcome.  I currently only use my DT770's, have a budget of maybe $300(maybe more but at absolute most probably not past $400) and have considered the magni2/modi2 schiit stack though read it may not be the greatest for the DT770's somewhat harsh highs.  I've also considered an ODAC/O2, or even getting a dedicated amp and seeing if the DAC section of of the NFB-15.32 plays well with it.  If I go that last route though I'd have to make sure the budget allows for a dedicated DAC if it somehow doesn't work out.  As for DAC I could go usb, though I think I'd prefer to stick to optical input.  I would prefer suggestions that are US based or don't have me paying half the cost just to ship it for repair, and warranty(period/customer support) is important to me.

I'm kind of at a crossroads here of whether it's worth sending it halfway around the world for half the original price and then being out that cash if things don't work out well, or just buying something new that would be less hassle for repairs if it was needed.  I'd be quite salty if things didn't work out for repair and I got back the same defective product.  That said I don't know maybe it's a power delivery issue, maybe it could use cleaner power, there was one time when the light dimmed right when the static came on, but that could always have been coincidence as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back