Think I'm finally done with my portable setup (pics inside)
Apr 8, 2007 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
First of all: I take this setup out of my house only when I go on vacation, so the size is OK for me: everything fits nicely into HD650's box, which I then slip into a suitcase, and I'm all set...

The setup is composed of
- 80 GB 5.5G Ipod Video (loaded with lossless files)
- Black hard aluminum case + Belkin screen and clickwheel protector film
- Audiolineout Jumbo Silver V2 lineout dock
- Ray Samuels Audio Hornet "M"
- Grado mini adapter cable
- Sennheiser HD650 (stock cable)

The last piece of the mosaic was the ALO Jumbo silver V2... Before I had a Jumbo Cryo but it didn't provide me with the kind of sound I was seeking... It was sort of too mellow with the 650s... too buttery, too rounded, too much laidback, dark... Very big rounded, phat bass, but it was a bit overwhelming, and also instrument separation and imaging could have been better... Very euphonic but not enough detail / tonal balance...

The Jumbo silver on the other hand provides with tight, more controlled bass, crisper highs, and more precise imaging / greater detail and instrument separation... More engaging and focused sound, more of a cooler sound but yet still very musical and easy to listen to.... I really enjoy the combo, and I have came to the conclusion that, if you want precise imaging and lots of detail, solid core interconnects are better than stranded wire ones.

Couple pics:
dsc04323yl4.jpg

dsc04321hy4.jpg

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 8
damn, that's a killer set-up for me! nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most importantly, do you listen to the HD650 at such loud volume O_O???

He has to if he's listening outside with those phones!

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 8
The hornet is on medium gain, not high gain, don't worry. That's why I have the knob turned that way up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back