Think I need some headphone DAC/Amp education
Jun 23, 2011 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mva5580

New Head-Fier
So recently I acquired some Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium headphones, and I'm finding them to be pretty amazing.   But if there is more to be had from them, I'm of course interested.  I keep reading on here about people who have external DAC and/or Amp's for their headphones, and I guess I'm just a bit confused as to how much these help, and how you go about implementing them into your current setup.   Right now I use my headphones for:

1) Listening to lossless music and playing games on my PC through the headphone input on my Titanium HD sound card

2) Movies/Music/Games in the living room with the headphones plugged into a Yamaha Receiver

3) Casual listening/browsing on my iPad

and eventually

4) Listening to vinyl records

So I guess my questions are pretty obvious in that I'm wondering how these DAC/Amps are added into how I currently use the headphones now, how much of an improvement they provide (I know this often depends on cost,) and if there are any suggestions on good brands of DAC/Amps to look out for?  Thank you very much for any help that can be provded; I know some of this is pretty general but I'm just looking for some guidance at this point.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 5
I have not heard the DT880 Premiums so I can't comment based on experience.  I do believe they are a relatively demanding load, so to unlock their true potential you'll likely need at least an amp, and also a dac if your current d-a conversion is not up to snuff.  Your Yamaha receiver may be adequate amplification.  I would doubt your soundcard/ipad is doing the headphone justice.

To use an external amp, you'll have to connect it to the line-out (usually an 1/8" plug or 2 rcas) of your source (cd player, computer, etc).  To use an external dac, you'll need to connect it to a digital-out of some kind (optical, coax, or usb) on your source.  Then connect the dac's line-out to your amp.  Sorry if this is too basic...

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Which "flavor" of the DT 880s do you have (32, 250 or 600 Ohm)? That may influence the advice that you get.

If you don't hear any difference between the audio chains that you name (headphone out on Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, Yamaha Receiver or iPad), then I'm not sure that you will hear any difference with a more elaborate chain that adds an external DAC and/or amp.

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 5
When OP said Premium I assumed he meant the Premium (2005), which was only available in 250ohm unless I'm mistaken.  Sorry if I made the wrong assumption.

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 5
 . . . or I could be jumping to conclusions regarding the OP's "recently I acquired" which could mean the cans you are thinking of or the new ones. <shrugs>
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back