Things to look for while inspecting a used amp
Jun 12, 2015 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

excolatur

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I bought an used WA7 on EBay and this is my first tube amp. I'm very excited but a bit wary about it being used.

I don't know much about tube amps and I was wondering if there are certain things I should be checking for once I receive the amp that the more experienced head-fiers know about, akin to checking for leaking fluids while shopping for a used car.

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 2
With Woo amps, there isn't too much to look for. Unless someone has opened it up and messed with the internals, you just want to make sure that you're ok with the cosmetics of the amp. Sockets should not move, and they should feel firm when you put a tube in, but other than that, if it sounds good, then it's good to go.

I got a used Woo amp, a WA6, and my only problem is that one of the feet is falling off. One day I will get some glue and fix it, but the thing is rock solid.

Now tubes, that is different. You want a tester, which will be expensive, if you are going to be buying many used tubes at all. Best, really, to just buy NOS tubes, in my opinion. That said, I got a strong testing, used, damaged, U52 for way cheaper than if I had bought it NOS, and for me, something like that is worth taking a chance on. It's the sound I care about, at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back