Things to do in Stanford, CA?
Jul 11, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheRobbStory

Banned
I found out an hour ago that I'm headed to Stanford University for two weeks. I fly out of DC tomorrow at 5pm.

Anyone familiar with the area? I've been to San Francisco a billion times, but I won't have much time to spend there. I only have two nights off a week, plus weekends.

Any tips are welcome!

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 11
I was going to recommend touring the particle accelerator but I just looked and they've suspended public tours until 2009
frown.gif

SLAC Tours Home

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 11
Palo Alto is a dead town. There are a a couple of good frats that throw a decent party as well as a couple of decent on-campus clubs that have fun things going on, so check those out.

Personally, I would recommend driving up North to visit San Fran's hotspots instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Been here just over a week. Living on campus blows. Fortunately, no one locks their bikes up, so they're all kind of just...communal.

I've had a few nights downtown, which is quaint and low-key. I spent yesterday in San Francisco with some friends who were in town from Florida. When I got back to Stanford, I crashed a Sigma Chi party which was pretty lame but the booze was free.

The fire pit is also a pretty decent place to hang out.

Heading back to DC next weekend, and I think that's exciting.

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 11
If you're into computers go over to the Computer History Museum over in Mountain View. I hear it's pretty cool.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 11
This is kinda late, but figured I might as well post it.

First stop, the Stanford University Bookstore on campus, which stocks a very useful students' guide to the area. It - along with the many bulletin boards here and there on campus - should give you all the information you need to keep busy and have fun.

I second the above recommendation of the Computer History Museum. Don't miss the Babbage Difference Engine, there on temporary loan.

Close to campus, get your exercise by hiking or running the Stanford Dish. You'll get fresh air, a good workout, and very nice views of the surrounding area.

University Avenue is where to hang out in the evenings. Caffe del Doge, a few doors up from the Apple Store, is my favorite local coffee place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back