Things to consider before getting your custom IEM impressions done. The perfect fit.
Sep 20, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #62 of 202
Got an appointment on friday, not my first time but something I'm curious about.  Which way is the 'correct way' to have the bite block?   ^       or    <---->    ?  (sorry for the rubbish icons, but just want to check).
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I     

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #63 of 202
The bite block has 3 dimensions. Some bite the biggest dimension, but I feel that is excessive. Middle dimension always works well for my impressions.

Very important to keep jaw muscles relaxed!

But bite block generally not used for silicone CIEMs - generally only for acrylic CIEMs (hi-dition are an exception). This is discussed earlier in this thread.

ALWAYS check on how YOUR CIEM VENDOR likes impressions to be done, as they will have tailored their processing to suit.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #64 of 202
Bite block not that important.  Just get a good deep injection.

Everyone is different but I did not even use a bite block.  My guy has done it for 18 years and he just said to keep mouth closed and do a sort of 1/2 smile (which I think sort of opens your ear canals a pinch more ensuring a tighter seal)

My fit was fantastic.  5 years old and still perfect.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #66 of 202
For anyone reading this thread who may be considering doing their impressions themselves, I respectfully urge you to reconsider. I certainly don't deny that some people have successfully done DIY impressions, but that does not mean they will never have a serious accident, and it does not mean that you will necessarily be as successful as those DIYers - the point is that you only have one pair of ears, and there are many serious risks attendant with DIY impressions attempts, just some of which are mentioned in the following threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/2565#post_11060302

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581834/word-of-caution-custom-iem-ear-impressions

A sponge (or, rarely, cotton) ear dam is not easy to insert successfully (a professional audiologist will use an otoscope to ensure correct placement). How will you look into your own ears to check successful dam placement..?

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #67 of 202
So I got my first ever CIEM (a JH13) today, after having to get a second set of impressions as the first set wasn't good enough for production.

So one thing I'm wondering is, how long should I test these to determine whether or not I have a good fit? Have been listening to them for a couple of hours now and my left ear seems perfect. My right ear I feel a little bit of pressure here and there. Will my ears adjust over time? Or is this already a warning sign? I of course would want to make use of the 30-day fit guarantee if I need to get a refit done because of comfort issues. Seal is otherwise perfect. And the pressure I feel on my right ear is not in my ear canal, but on my outer ear, a bit too much pressure on my tragus and anti-tragus.

Also I'm noticing now that when I move my jaw from left to right, or open my mouth really wide, the seal breaks a little bit in my left ear (right ear is fine). Is that normal or something that can be addressed with a refit?

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #68 of 202
Had impressions done recently, the audiologist had me place the bite block in the back of my mouth so that my molars were biting it. MY mouth was pretty wide open. Now every other video I've seen of impressions has the person place the bite block in between their front teeth.

I'm getting them redone because the left one ended up with a void in the canal, so when I go back should I place the bite block in the front or continue in the back?

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #69 of 202
My personal viewpoint on this is that I would not place the bite-block between my molars, because that would encourage my jaw to move apart to an unnatural position.

What I mean is that placing the bite block between the front teeth mostly just opens the jaw a bit, as would occur if talking or singing, whilst wearing CIEMs (NB: as has been discussed on page 1, whatever jaw position one chooses during the procedure, one needs to try to maintain relaxed jaw muscles whilst the impression material cures, rather than inadvertently biting-down on the bite-block with muscular pressure), whereas placing a bite-block between the molars may have a tendency to spread the rear of the lower jaw apart from the upper jaw in a way that would not happen whilst wearing CIEMs unless wearing them while chewing gum or a meal.

Since the anatomical shape of the ear canal alters (to varying degrees in one humanbeing to another) when the jaw moves, all one is trying to do, by using a bite-block during impression-taking, is to try to ensure that the CIEMs will retain a reasonable seal during everyday natural motion of the jaw, but that does not include the exertion of muscular pressure during, for example, chewing/eating.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #70 of 202
I am pleased that I have found this particular thread. However I am finding it hard to locate a thread that discusses the companies in particular and their customer service level and turnaround time also after sale service.

I am new to CIEM market and looking for the best quality sound (which you properly always see people asking about and perhaps you need more than one for the different genres) for a wide span of genres as possible, such as Uplifting Trance, Acoustic, classical, Jazz, Chillout and Movies. I have looked at JH Roxanne and like the look, the ability to add your artwork and see what it looks like before purchase on their website, and the youtube/review show them in high regard. However what is JH turnaround time in your experiences and their level of feedback. I have looked at all the treads that discusses about Roxanne owners being sold out for a newer flagship model and in part answering my own question in seeing a thread where consumers had to wait 6 months to receive their CIEM (Which I am not willing to do).

I never really buy on the cutting edge of technology, however I prefer to buy a product that has had a change to settle into the consumer market and had stood the test of time. But also love reading about a companies latest products.

I have a budget for the JH Roxanne, but cant afford Layla, however Angie being a new girl could also be worth waiting for.

I also looked at the Acrylic Noble Kaiser 10, Customart Harmony 8 Pro and the legend R EP-L8R Earerkz Pro respectively. They are roughly in the same price bracket (not counting the addition add-ons), however the sites only have a few selected options when purchasing and some don't have the ability of adding custom artwork and viewing it before buying, (do some companies complete this after purchase or once they have received your impressions?) If they do and I have missed something then apologies.  

I live in the Channel Islands and have sent off relevant emails (awaiting replies) about shipping etc, however does anyone have any issues with parcels being stopped by customs when ordering outside of USA? I may have to ask them directly.

In respect of the impressions, I prefer to have my teeth slightly apart and aligned and I will walk around when listening. I have received a page from JH recommending me to have the foam grip in-between my teeth. However not  sure if this is wise.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your views
beyersmile.png

Max

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #71 of 202
A better thread to ask your above questions would be here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-check-first-post-for-review-links-information

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #72 of 202
  My audiologist told me DO NOT keep your jaw/mouth in a fixed position.  Very mildly and slightly.... open and close your mouth just a little bit.  Move jaw left to right just a little bit while impressions are hardening.  Worked great both times he did impressions for me and has been doing it over 25 years.

To me the bite block would only seem to assure a perfect seal while your mouth is fixed in that very position.

I took my impressions yesterday. The instructions from the CIEM manufatcturer said just to move the jaw just like during chewing and that's what I did. Now I'm looking forward for my CIEM and I hope to get a proper seal and fit at the first attempt. 
The good thing is that they offer 3 MONTHS of fit problem warranty. Not bad!!!

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #74 of 202
been using CIEM for weeks now from 1964 ears, i almost returned it for refit since i felt that the right ear is not as powerful as the left, in terms of gain/volume.
read, discussed with other ciem users locally, 
now i found out that its the way put it on...just a little re positioning and everything went well...also clean your ears, some wax may affect the seal and sounding...

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #75 of 202
just a quick question;

do you guys use ear gel on your CIEM's? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back