Things that make you go 'ugh' at a concert
Jan 21, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The people who have no concept of rhythm, but clap along anyways.

Sometimes I really like this. A lot of metal songs start off all slow and mellow, and the pumped-up crowd starts clapping along in anticipation. Invariably they drown out the song intro, and then they start speeding up, completely oblivious to the fact that they - the entire crowd - are no longer clapping along to the song at all. It's a bit annoying, yes, but it's more funny than anything. Nothing cures annoyance better than laughing at people.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the lights go down. The silhouettes of band members making their way on the stage. The first notes of intro is played. The roar of the crowd. The sudden waves of pot smoke fills the air.

And that much desired roach never manages to make it to me.
frown.gif

QFT

ph34r.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #33 of 70
personally, i hate when the band does a free form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate it when they crank up the volume a la Spinal Tap's amps going to 11. It doesn't sound good (your ears shut down after a couple of minutes anyway) and it damages your hearing.

I left half way though the last rock concert I went to because it was too loud even with ear plugs. It was Garage a Trois in a small theater and it was loud enough for an arena. No one in the band were using IEMs or any type of hearing protection either, so I doubt that they'll have they're hearing for long.

This has ruined a few concerts for me as well. It just isn't any fun.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #35 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the lights go down. The silhouettes of band members making their way on the stage. The first notes of intro is played. The roar of the crowd. The sudden waves of pot smoke fills the air.

And that much desired roach never manages to make it to me.
frown.gif

Trust me, as of the ministry concert I saw in Toronto, I no longer partake in free roaches passed around. Caught a nasty cold from it.

Now I just bring my own
atsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #36 of 70
I hate when the members get really drunk and can't play worth a damn. Ruins the whole night. You can tell all the mistakes he does and then they also think they sound great so they keep trying all this crazy stuff that probably sounds good in their head but is just horribly off-key to the audience.

I understand needing some liquid courage before a show but damn man, know your limits!

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^
on a similar note, stupid 'hip hop' music at house/techno/breaks/jungle shows. Completely and utterly train-wrecks the vibe of the night.

find it interesting you lump jungle in with the house/techno. over here (uk) that would usually be seperate, & breaks would only fit if it was of the progressive variety. we call hip-hop & jungle "urban", but usually hip-hop is swapped for drum & bass... meh

annoying things are when people down the front are loving somebody's set but, in clear view of the artists they start pointing at them & shouting "who is that, they're really good!" & you hope you got it right because they just had a generic haircut & look different to how you saw them last. & they're looking at you & lip reading. lol

other than that, too many festivals that in order to gain their license have to keep the volume low to please anyone within a 50 mile radius.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #38 of 70
Rofl at jilgiljongiljing.
biggrin.gif

People in front of me that think they are Hulk Hogan and constantly do his pose that involves swinging the elbow back quickly seems to be pretty "Ugh" to me. You become distracted when you are afraid of getting hit in the face every minute or so. Oh BTW...This man was terribly drunk so it was actually quite entertaining.

He did kind of ruin the Rush concert though. :\

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #40 of 70
A list:

-Crowd surfers who inevitably kick you in the head, knock off your glasses, or other b.s.

-People moshing at shows where moshing would just be silly...like a damn Ben Folds show or a Deathcab For Cutie show (I heard about this from a friend of mine who attended a Ben Folds show on my school's campus).

-The "fans" who only know "That one song" (read = the biggest radio hit to date)

- The volume level of a lot of shows! I have seen some heavier bands - Ill Nino, Sevendust, Deftones, etc etc. Trust me, I WANT TO ROCK!!! I'm not saying a rock concert should be quiet or anything. However, some focus on sound quality would be appreciated...at least relative to volume! If sound quality starts degrading as the volume goes up, then readjust downward! Hit equilibrium or err on the side of sound quality!

-When girls grab some guy's hand and pull him to the front and the guy acts like an entitled ass hat. I understand that girls are smaller and that it is courteous to let them go forward. I understand that they want guys along at the more rowdy shows to watch over them. So...I have no problem with them taking a guy forward. However, I get really annoyed with some jerk that happens to be with said girl pushes past 20 people obnoxiously with no regard or respect, though. How about an "excuse me?" or "thanks!" or at least something? Damn jerk guys and their entitled attitudes.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #42 of 70
Oh, I didn't mean to come across as retaliatory - your post genuinely reminded me of a few ruined shows.

nvkid909, bear in mind that (1)over here basically all electronica gets lumped together in terms of shows because hardly anyone listens to it and (b)over here the hip hop that gets played tends to be the commercial gangsta/club banger rap which really doesn't fit the aesthetic of most electronica. I expect that a lot of the hip hop played at your shows are emcees rhyming over dubstep/grime/jungle beats, which I do like.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was doing a show once, when some guy kept calling out 'Play *******' after every number. Unfortunately, the song was by a rival band.

I hate that.

Ian

bands have rivals? like the sharks and jets?

cool... BAND RUMBLE!

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bands have rivals? like the sharks and jets?

cool... BAND RUMBLE!

Oh yeah. In the 70's, we'd book a hotel room and drop TV's on their heads when they came over for tea and crumpets.
L3000.gif

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back