Things that make you go 'ugh' at a concert
Jan 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never left a concert because of the opener band until I saw Russian Circles with Daughters. Daughters played the weirdest half hour of "music" I have ever seen. Me and my friends walked outside when their singer whipped out his junk and started humping the amplifiers. Disgusting. Good thing they let us back in because Russian Circles was amazing. It completely made up for the gross-out that preceded it.

Interesting... I almost went to go see that tour last summer. I don't particularly dislike Daughters (though they are far from my favorite grindcore band, and I'm not even a big grindcore fan) but I don't think I need to see on-stage nudity. I had a similar experience at a really indie venue near my house: there were several, unspecified opening acts, and after a really mellow first one this grindcore band that I can't for the life of me remember (really local, I think) took the stage and took everybody by surprise. Unlike your experience, I was actually kind of into it (it was cool just to see how over-the-top and full of energy they were; at one point, the guitarist refused to play and started taking swings at the "singer" ) but I think that if they had started to perform lewd acts on the electronics I would've walked out too.

I think the thing I hate most is when people try to instigate a mosh pit in a small venue, where there isn't any proper distinction for a "pit". Especially when it doesn't even suit the music.

Ooh, I forgot a big one: I HATE it when a band refuses to play their biggest song. I saw Styx back in July and they didn't even play "Mr. Roboto". I know the band's history with Kilroy Was Here, and I know they don't like the song much, but it's still their most well-known song and there really isn't any excuse not to play it. I've heard similar horror stories with Radiohead's overinflated egos and "Creep"

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #17 of 70
I hate it when they crank up the volume a la Spinal Tap's amps going to 11. It doesn't sound good (your ears shut down after a couple of minutes anyway) and it damages your hearing.

I left half way though the last rock concert I went to because it was too loud even with ear plugs. It was Garage a Trois in a small theater and it was loud enough for an arena. No one in the band were using IEMs or any type of hearing protection either, so I doubt that they'll have they're hearing for long.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #18 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, I forgot a big one: I HATE it when a band refuses to play their biggest song. I saw Styx back in July and they didn't even play "Mr. Roboto". I know the band's history with Kilroy Was Here, and I know they don't like the song much, but it's still their most well-known song and there really isn't any excuse not to play it. I've heard similar horror stories with Radiohead's overinflated egos and "Creep"

Really? C'mon, can you blame a band (in particular, one with a large back catalog) for not wanting to play a song they wrote 10+ or 20+ years ago and have been forced to sing day in and day out (20-30+ dates/tour) for years? Although, Radiohead probably does have an overinflated ego, I doubt they're avoiding "Creep" simply to dick over fans. My guess is they're just SICK of singing the darn song over and over. You can say, "well, suck it up... that's the band's job." But for a band with handful or more albums, I'd rather they play a varied, engaging set list for both the fans and the band. I figure, if the band is bored with the material and "forced" to play the same stuff night after night the performance will suffer. So, as long as the band performs a few notable songs (not necessarily the biggest hits), I am happy. Plus, the live recordings from the tour will be better, because there will be more variety to the performances.

My biggest pet peeve is definitely the Unsolicited Song Request Guy. I mean, if the band doesn't ask about requests, then please shut up! I downloaded a good quality Rilo Kiley show and there's some idiot shouting "Play 'Absence of God', Jen-ny," in an obnoxious California voice. Just ruins the show. And, you can tell, people at the show are pissed off too, because after the guy shouts, other people shout... "Just play anything."

~AC

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #20 of 70
Bad opening acts, ********* fratboys looking for fights/trouble, teen girls screaming about how hot the singer is.. the dude who keeps yelling his song request over and over again.. or keeps demanding a drum solo. i've been to a lot of shows and people are generally cool.. it really just depends on what kind of band you're going to see.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #21 of 70
1-Girls sitting on the top of really tall guy's shoulders while he is standing, even if they are in the front rows. Everyone is there to have a good time, and they are being incredibly selfish.

2-The two behind you that talk incessantly throughout the whole concert (they probably don't even know the band and got the tickets from their company).

3-The morons who work there to enforce the "no smoking" rule and flash a halogen light in your eyes, so that you see circles for the rest of the concert and the ride home (remember John?)

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The people who have no concept of rhythm, but clap along anyways.

You sat in front of me?
tongue.gif

Actually, on that note, I dislike when then band signals for everyone to clap to the music (which I don't), and then there's that uncomfortable line of when to stop
eek.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #24 of 70
When the lights go down. The silhouettes of band members making their way on the stage. The first notes of intro is played. The roar of the crowd. The sudden waves of pot smoke fills the air.

And that much desired roach never manages to make it to me.
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #25 of 70
was at a jazz trio concert where the piano was amped so badly, the sound literally arrived twice at my third-row ears, once from the grand piano, and then a fraction later from the speakers. yuck

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 70
Bad P.A. / sound for a BIG show.

Some years ago I saw Paul McCartney in a big arena show (was talked into it by others actually).

Sound was totally muddy, really bad echos, etc.
Could hardly understand what was being performed.

I'm sure an arena doesn't have flawless acoustics by any stretch, but it's not like they don't have the resources to do it reasonably well... but it was just bad really.

Total disappointment.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #28 of 70
Last time I was at the Royal Albert Hall watching the RPO, people were having coughing fits, mobile phones were ringing (which someone attempted to ignore, pretending that it wasn't his/hers) and dropping stuff. Pissed me off badly.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #29 of 70
Stupid "house" music at hip hop shows, usually a weak and irrelevant 7 song playlist that gets more annoying every time it starts over. Especially with DJs on the bill and decks on stage.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #30 of 70
^^^
on a similar note, stupid 'hip hop' music at house/techno/breaks/jungle shows. Completely and utterly train-wrecks the vibe of the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back