things related to audio with the gold-plated tip have better sound?
May 22, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm not exactly certain what you're asking, however ... Gold plating is often used on connectors, not because it conducts electricity better - but because it won't oxidize or corrode. That's more important in our headphone culture than conductivity itself. When connectors like a headphone plug are repeatedly exposed to the elements (including just "air") and plugged in and out constantly, corrosion is a real threat to signal continuity. It's still not enough to prevent issues for very small connectors such as a 3.5mm headphone plug, but that's an issue with the springs inside the jack losing tension over time and the tiny contact area, not the plug.

Anyway, gold-plating (in my opinion) is a minimum requirement for headphone connectors. It's a small price to pay for a tiny decrease in conductivity over copper and silver, when you realize that it will never oxidize or corrode.

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm not exactly certain what you're asking, however ... Gold plating is often used on connectors, not because it conducts electricity better - but because it won't oxidize or corrode. That's more important in our headphone culture than conductivity itself. When connectors like a headphone plug are repeatedly exposed to the elements (including just "air") and plugged in and out constantly, corrosion is a real threat to signal continuity. It's still not enough to prevent issues for very small connectors such as a 3.5mm headphone plug, but that's an issue with the springs inside the jack losing tension over time and the tiny contact area, not the plug.

Anyway, gold-plating (in my opinion) is a minimum requirement for headphone connectors. It's a small price to pay for a tiny decrease in conductivity over copper and silver, when you realize that it will never oxidize or corrode.

Having said that though, IMHO I think silver connectors look so much better than gold. And gold is so mainstream (but I guess for a reason haha).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back