Thingamaknobs
Jul 10, 2004 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
I saw the link to these in the sticky, and just had to have one for my upcoming tube amp project! Has anyone here ordered one before? I'm curious to hear what people think of them, taking the price into account... (it's not too much compared to some, but it's still more than I paid for my cd player and speaker amp!
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 10, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
Those look nice, but expensive. It would be nice to have a custom wooden knob though. Makes me wish I had a lathe to turn my own out on.
smily_headphones1.gif

I made some with a hole saw a long time ago. The only hitch was that there was a hole all the way through in the center. I filled it with a contrasting colored dowel and it ended up looking pretty darned good.

It also helps to have a drill press to do the work, but a steady hand and a regular drill can turn out fine work. Fitting a set screw is the hardest thing, if you don't have a drill press. Drilling into a curved surface with a hand drill isn't the easiest thing in the world! Oh, and the sanding is a little tedious, too.

-Drew

Jul 11, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
I do have a drill press, but I couldn't seem to get hold of the wood I wanted. I'm not a fan of wood stain so I need the real thing
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.woodcraft.com

Click on the "Wood" link. They do mail order, but their stores are in some of the most surprising places. There's one about 15 miles away from me. Some of the prices are a little high, but the quality is extremely good.

-Drew

Jul 11, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Warning: Injury may result from sticking Thingamaknobs in your eyes, nose or mouth. Do not swallow Thingamaknobs. Please do not throw Thingamaknobs, you could hurt somebody.

LOL
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back