Thin sound, less bass with my setup. Is it my amp?
May 15, 2005 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jonta_dj

100+ Head-Fier
I got this setup:
Lynx L22-->X-Can V3-->Sennheiser HD650

I think the sound is much "thinner" and lacks that "deep" and well defined bass that I used to have with my Audigy2.

There is no such thing as "bass boost" or any kind of settings for treble and bass on the X-Can V3, so is my problem caused of the amp?

What are your suggestions? I got this equipment quite recently. I've had the phones and amp for a couple months.

May 15, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 16
Have you tried different tubes with your amp? Sorry, I can't recommend any specific tubes though, as I don't have any experience with the X-Can's.

May 15, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 16
no I haven't tried anything else. These are my first hi-fi stuff. I'm new to this whole thing
blink.gif

May 15, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 16
I don't really know how long I've used the HD650's yet, but I've had them for about 2 months and have not used them all that time, but it must be quite a few hours now.

May 15, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 16
I think you need 200 hours or so for HD-650 to fully burn in.

Also, the amp etc. can take some time to burn in. I don't have experience with X-Can but my MPX took quite a while.

By the way, are you using stock Senn cable?

May 15, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 16
I wouldn't recommend him try different cables, I highly doubt any audible differences would be noticeable. Especially with the stock Sennheiser cable.

Also, what type of encoding (if any) are you using?

May 16, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
Can't say for sure, BUT "thin and lacking bass" sums up my feelings about every single piece of MF gear I have heard, 100%

jonta_dj - I've never heard the X-Can, but I suspect this fellow may be on the right track.

If it's feasible, I'd suggest you try a good solid state amp that can give the voltage swing that's required for bass punch and dynamics with the high impedance HD650s. Maybe something priced similarly to the X-Can from Meier-Audio to see how it compares? Meier has a 30-day audition period so you could return the amp if it's not an improvement or sell the X-Can if you find the solid state amp to give you what you're looking for.

I think this would be a more fruitful source of experimentation than swapping tubes or wires.

Good luck!
Beau

May 16, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 16
I hear the x-psu is supposed to add some needed oomph to the x-can.

I'm however somewhat sceptical about the Musical Fidelity stuff and have an intense hatered for most silver gear anyway
tongue.gif

/JF

May 16, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 16
For me, Musical Fidelity's house sound is emasculated / castrated / it just has "no balls", so assuming we are correct about the lack of bass being due to your MF amp, I would:

- sell it on ebay uk (loads of Musical Fidelity fanboys there to pay you most of what you paid for it)
- get a White Noise Audio (WNA) MKII - this is my amp and it has piles of bass (and sweet mids and treble
smily_headphones1.gif
) ; costs more or less about the same (depending on your options) fully assembled and tested; search the DIY forums for Pink Floyd's long WNA thread; if you are confident with DIY, then it will be a lot cheaper
- does your Lynx have balanced outputs? The WNA can also be configured for balanced inputs and outputs, but this would be expensive and require messing with your HD650s for true, fully balanced operation - certainly an upgrade option later, though.

May 16, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Just from reading on here...I'd say first, 650 Burn-in. I remember people saying that the bass one day just disappeared, but it came back.

And second, try a Ray Samuels amp. Clean, black, and solid. I gaurentee all your bass problems will be solved!
cool.gif

May 16, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for all replies!!!

I'm having a similar thread in the 'computers-as-source-components'-thread and they have some different theories to ad to this. There's only one hifi-shop around and I'm not sure that they have headphone amps, but I'm gonna go listen to their very (our of my range) expensive players and amps and compare that with what I'm hearing.

Also, I've read about that thing with the senns, about bass going away, and then coming back, but I doubt it would happen so quickly?!?!? But who knows...

Also check out my other thread:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119647

Users who are viewing this thread

Back