Thin headphone wire, where to buy?
Apr 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MiRaCL

Head-Fier
Hello

I have to sets of sony headphones here. The sony eggos and the mdr-v700.
Both have internal wires that have been broken due to use.
This cable i wery thin and is 2 thin wires in one cable.

The issue with this is that i cant use another cable, cause it will be to thick.
Where can i get a hold of such thin wires?

I live in Norway. Couldn't din anything on ebay.

May 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 3
If you are willing to make your own cable from scratch, I might suggest some mini starquad (Mogami 2893 or Canare L-4E5C) and a suitable plug. These cables are quite thin (4.8mm O.D.) but they may still be too thick for your application. You would have to do your own soldering and assembly, unless you could find someone to do it for you.

If you want to braid your own cable with individual wires, the wire can be bought from plenty of sites, such as eBay, and some of the many DIY audio stores out there. There are lots of informative guides and tutorials in this forum about how to recable headphones, how to solder, how to braid wire, etc.

There are some companies that sell pre-made headphone cables that you have to simply solder onto the drivers of your headphones. These cables are generally rather expensive.

May 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 3
My guess is that the outer diameter of the two channel internal wiring is about the same thickness as a single insulated 24 awg wire, and is tinsel enameled wire. You can likely replace it with 2x 27-30 awg insulated STRANDED wire, and it'll have superior electrical properties to tinsel wire
smily_headphones1.gif
but do be careful not to bend too far so you don't break the wire.

If you post pic of the internal wire I could try to guess what wires you could replace it with, but to be safe you should just go with 27-30 awg insulated wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back