Thiking of returning Zen Micro...looking at Rio Carbon...got questions...
Jan 11, 2005 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Daemos

100+ Head-Fier
So getting SICK of the poor battery life I decided it might be a good time to return the Zen Micro and look at alternatives.

I'm looking at the Rio Carbon. Because it's cheaper...by ~50 or so Dollars (CND)

I have some questions.

People are saying that it's quiet...now with the Zen Micro the volume never goes above 17-18 because even at that level it's loud. (with my E888s)

How is the sound quality with the EQ on the Carbon? I don't like the Ipods because they distort...will the carbon distort?

As well, for playlists, how DO you make playlists? For the zen, I use the creative media center to make the playlists. How would you do that with teh Carbon.

As well I'm not worried about customer service from rio, as I'll be purchasing the additional 3 year extended warrenty from the store I buy it from.
smily_headphones1.gif

How easy is the UI to use on the Carbon, I really like the UI on the Zen...

Oh one more thing does the display on the Carbon display chinese characters? I haven't tried it with the Zen yet...but does it? (although I don't think that's a HUGE deal with me, as long as it displays the tags properly)

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 13
Its an awesome unit, drag and drop flies, UI is nice and clean and makes sense. It will outdrive the micro easily, especially with the eq on. The sound is really clean , but if you jack up the eq you can get some distortion, but not till almost full tilt. Battery life is excellent even with the eq on and high volume I got 15 to 17 hrs playtime.

I can't remember if you can make on the fly playlists, but everything is sorted by tag so : album , artist, songs, genres , ect.

Nice nice unit, I am thinking about picking one up again myself, now that they fixed the static headphone jack problem. I just (finally) got a 20 gig pod and I need a little unit, (took back my mini
frown.gif
) because of battery life and got the micro.... but my battery life was worse and I am not a big fan of creatives sound anyways. I should have know better
k1000smile.gif
I like ipod sound and Rio much better than creative , but I seem to be in the minority on that!

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockit
You should consult creative and let them ship you a new one.
it's probably just your micro...

Well I have that 3 year extended warrenty thing with mine from the store I bought it from.

My bro's seems to be Okay...I think? I'm gonna try testing it out with his battery tommrow.

Jan 11, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads
Its an awesome unit, drag and drop flies, UI is nice and clean and makes sense. It will outdrive the micro easily, especially with the eq on. The sound is really clean , but if you jack up the eq you can get some distortion, but not till almost full tilt. Battery life is excellent even with the eq on and high volume I got 15 to 17 hrs playtime.

I can't remember if you can make on the fly playlists, but everything is sorted by tag so : album , artist, songs, genres , ect.

Nice nice unit, I am thinking about picking one up again myself, now that they fixed the static headphone jack problem. I just (finally) got a 20 gig pod and I need a little unit, (took back my mini
frown.gif
) because of battery life and got the micro.... but my battery life was worse and I am not a big fan of creatives sound anyways. I should have know better
k1000smile.gif
I like ipod sound and Rio much better than creative , but I seem to be in the minority on that!

Wait you like the sound of the Ipod over the creative? WITH EQ on? There must be something wrong with you my friend...
tongue.gif
Creative Zen with EQ sounds easily better, cleaner, no distortion.

I like playlists, I want to beable to make playlists. Like have all my songs on there, but just have a playlist. Rio says it supports playlists...so I'm just wondering how you would make it.

Jan 12, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 13
@$%)@&(@$&( I'm REALLY pissed off that it only gets like 6 hours I tried that 12 hour charge thing, followed it to a T, and that's all I still got.

I'm gonna give it one more shot...doing the 12 hour charge thing AGAIN.

BTW how do you put the Rio carbon on hold...I was told there is no real physical 'hold' button.

Jan 12, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 13
Wait you like the sound of the Ipod over the creative? WITH EQ on? There must be something wrong with you my friend... Creative Zen with EQ sounds easily better, cleaner, no distortion.

I was talking about the carbons eq it's really clean.
280smile.gif
And I do think the mini and 4 g sound better than micro. I think my u2 iaudio flash player sounds better than the micro with the eq enabled, the radio sure is better!

Back to comp usa little puppy- but it looked kinda cool. good luck!

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 13
Whelp my Zen is defective...

My bros gets 12 hours same songs (I uploaded to his) although using his batteries (which were both put through that 12 hour test)

I'm gonna give it a test tommrow, thrusday and friday, and hope for the best
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophane
About those Chinese tags . . . does anyone know about this? I have quite a few Chinese CD's and it would be really nice if either the Carbon or Micro could display them properly.

Also, daemos, where did you get your Micro with the 3 year warranty? Warranty is very important to me, unfortunately Circuitcity's 2-year is $65
eek.gif

I've sold my carbon for the reason that it's unable to display all chinese characters. It only displays those characters that are also in the japanese character set correctly.

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophane
About those Chinese tags . . . does anyone know about this? I have quite a few Chinese CD's and it would be really nice if either the Carbon or Micro could display them properly.

http://www.monsternet.org/features/z...mini/page9.php

scroll down to the pictures at the bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back