Thieves sealing iPods and MP3 players, occasionally souls. Dreams dashed.
Apr 16, 2005 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Seems as more MP3 players are being sold, more are being stolen. Also goals - visiting gym, filling player with music, etc. destroyed. Coupled with Iraqi war and Marburg outbreak, we live in sad times.

See here.

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 76
Unfortunately, this is a symptom of the world we live in and the fact that people are so greedy when it comes to stealing things such as iPods and the fact that they're selling that these products for drug money and addictions.

But don't fret, there are still some good things in this world, but sometimes the cons outweigh the pros.

-Patrick

Apr 16, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 76
mhh I suppose thats why I backup my music on 3hd's, one heavily encrypted for ahhh police purposes (they gotta return the hd) and 1 for straight backup (external). I have 1 backup at my brothers in another country in storage which I will need to update soon since it is a 1 year old version.

yes yes.. in the it industry they say if you dont have 3 backups of your work in 3 locations its not backed up propably.

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 76
I need to get more hardrives and put some raid controllers on them so I have the contium of hands free ghosting and backup.

Apr 17, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 76
that doesnt sound like apple. normally when apple ships stuff they make sure NO apple logo or the apple name is seen on the packaging.

Apr 17, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 76
Im not surprised that ipods are being stolen. If you think about it, its the first time something as expensive as the ipod has become a cultural icon. Cd players, walkmans etc were not as expensive as ipods so of course people will make a big deal out of it. I also fell the problems of the worlds are being extremely exaggerated
icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 76
Here's a tip, will save you heartache, get an iRiver instead. It sounds better (IMHO), and doesn't look nearly as cool as the iPod, so people just won't steal it.

Case in point:

One of my fellow code monkeys down the hall has an iPod and a pair of those stupid Bang & Olufssen IEMs, people who walk past his office, stop, go in, and ask about his portable rig. In fact, he has to hide the player in his pocket and run the wire for the earphones behind his back.

My iRiver H120, HeadRoom Code LE and Sennheiser HD25-1s are barely even noticed, even if I leave them in plain view on my desk, and even though all in all, my rig is worth at least 4 times as much as that of the iPod wielding pop-culture victim down the hall.

When asked about this, my co-workers always remark: "Nothing personal, yours just doesn't look cool."

There's something to be said for inconspicuous portable gear.

Apr 17, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanjulian
that doesnt sound like apple. normally when apple ships stuff they make sure NO apple logo or the apple name is seen on the packaging.

that's what happened.

even if the packaging wasn't transparent, the postal service must know if it's an ipod inside because the of size, weight, appearance and they must come by so many!

edit: i asked him again and the packaging for the ipod box wasn't transparent. it was the delivery note on the front which was in a transparent envelope. the note stated the contents was an ipod, shipped directly from apple.

he phoned up apple and it's likley he'll be getting another one, might be some sort of uk Sale of Goods Act meaning the seller is responsible for the item during shipping.

Apr 17, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 76
I would say to all of those people **** happens. It's only a music player. And back up your data.

While the iRivers aren't as good sounding at my anal-retentive levels, they certainly win the butt-ugly award, especially with those comical iSkin cases. Could be a good suggestion as an anti-theft measure.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
While the iRivers aren't as good sounding at my anal-retentive levels, they certainly win the butt-ugly award, especially with those comical iSkin cases. Could be a good suggestion as an anti-theft measure.
wink.gif

Yeah, I've always admired those out there that have hidden gems under a shoddy exterior...

Like the palaces hidden inside peeling paint houses and rusty cars with performance motors in them. I'm a show off, I couldn't do it but it is a good idea security-wise.

My favs are the bike couriers with the most expensive bikes in the world covered in black spray-paint and gaffer tape so they don't get then nicked when they rest them outside buildings... now that's ingenuity!

ZT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back