ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Jun 21, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #2,716 of 4,752
I use the low gain qudelix with my IEMs, including the Clairvoyance. No problem.

I'm pretty sure it's impedance issue. Your desktop configuration or even the adapter you are using, must have a noticeably high impedance, at least enough to change the sound of the Monarch (which we already know is very sensitive to this, and its response is precisely to increase the bass a lot as increases the source impedance).
This makes a lot of sense, especially given that there is also a decrease in the highs on the desktop setup (which, as I understand, is a consequence of higher impedance with the monarch). J think this means that the Qudelix sound is prob the more true-to-form and the desktop sound is the modified. Thanks for the help!

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #2,717 of 4,752
You know, funny enough, I'm a basshead too and left the EQ preset on Normal and disabled xBass on the xCan and that satisfies my needs! For me, it's the perfect balance of impact and precision. True I can get more bass by using xBass, but I still prefer it off for some reason.

Enjoy! :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 22, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,719 of 4,752
Seeing some comments pertaining to mixed initial experiences with the Monarchs and the search for ideal chains. I know I'm going to get mobbed for saying this (looking at you ASR guys...), but it's been my experience and that of many others I've spoken to on here, Discord, Reddit, that the Monarchs honestly sound pretty weird and frankly kind of bad out of the box. I've never experienced this degree of change pre and post "burn-in" in an IEM or headphone before. I was planning my return the first day it came. After a week, it became my favorite IEM. YMMV, and feel free to save your comments about "oh that must be brain burn in or some kind of psychological acclimatization going on" etc. I very much think not.

FWIW though, I had Xelastec tips on it (finding the right size is key, allowing your ear oils/waxes to "temper" the plastic will take a couple days maybe - but once properly molded etc. this becomes a brilliant tip - like there's nothing there at all - and sounds fantastic) with a CEMA ElectroAcousti XS cable. It sounds fantastic out of my Bifrost 2 and G111 stack, but it also sounds brilliant run out of an iPhone with a lightning cable dongle, so...

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,720 of 4,752
Out of luck, I just received the Monarch. It sounds great to me out of the box. And there's a noticeable improvement in quality pertaining to dac/amp combo. On my desktop (JDS element 2) they sound resolving and neutral-enough. On mobile dac/amps they sound more bass-heavy. The only other IEM I have to compare them to are the Blessing 2 Dusk which they are a noticeable improvement over. However, if these are where diminishing returns begin on IEMs I'm glad to stick with them as they are significantly worse than the headphones I have on hand. FWIW, I would rate the sound of all I have on hand as follows:

Samsung galaxy buds pro <<< Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk << Thieaudio Monarch <<<<<<<< Focal Clear < Hifiman HE1000v2

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,721 of 4,752
Seeing some comments pertaining to mixed initial experiences with the Monarchs and the search for ideal chains. I know I'm going to get mobbed for saying this (looking at you ASR guys...), but it's been my experience and that of many others I've spoken to on here, Discord, Reddit, that the Monarchs honestly sound pretty weird and frankly kind of bad out of the box. I've never experienced this degree of change pre and post "burn-in" in an IEM or headphone before. I was planning my return the first day it came. After a week, it became my favorite IEM. YMMV, and feel free to save your comments about "oh that must be brain burn in or some kind of psychological acclimatization going on" etc. I very much think not.

FWIW though, I had Xelastec tips on it (finding the right size is key, allowing your ear oils/waxes to "temper" the plastic will take a couple days maybe - but once properly molded etc. this becomes a brilliant tip - like there's nothing there at all - and sounds fantastic) with a CEMA ElectroAcousti XS cable. It sounds fantastic out of my Bifrost 2 and G111 stack, but it also sounds brilliant run out of an iPhone with a lightning cable dongle, so...
I am in the camp that says that what many people refer to as "burn in" is really more of a "brain burn in" than an actual burn in for the drivers. For me at least, the Monarch sounded harsh when I first listened to it, but I don't think it actually IS harsh; rather, what really happened was that my brain wasn't used to the resolving power of the e-stats and so the amount of increased detail was interpreted as being harsh. This went away after about a day for me. There's also the fit: IEMs all fit slightly differently and your body is very sensitive to small changes, so that fit can make things not just sound but also FEEL off until the body acclimatizes.

Jun 23, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,722 of 4,752
Curious if anyone here has actual hands on experience with both the Clairvoyance/Monarch and Oracle/Excalibur ? I'm wondering if the shells for the Oracle / Excaliber are smaller than the Monarch / Clairvoyance. I'm considering taking a chance on the Oracle but I'll pass if the shells are just as large.

Thanks

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #2,723 of 4,752
Curious if anyone here has actual hands on experience with both the Clairvoyance/Monarch and Oracle/Excalibur ? I'm wondering if the shells for the Oracle / Excaliber are smaller than the Monarch / Clairvoyance. I'm considering taking a chance on the Oracle but I'll pass if the shells are just as large.

Thanks
Oracle and Excalibur have smaller shells than both the Monarch / Clairvoyance.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,725 of 4,752

Thanks
Oracles are significantly smaller than Monarchs.

The shape of the shell is similar, but they really look like small-scale Monarchs.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,726 of 4,752
Oracles are significantly smaller than Monarchs.

The shape of the shell is similar, but they really look like small-scale Monarchs.
Thanks. I don't have small ears, probably average/medium but I have had issues with some of the "universal custom" style iem's in the past, including the Legacy 3 (but it may have been that angled cable connector). I have had good luck with a couple of those "universal custom" style iem's lately so I'm hoping the Oracle works out fit wise.

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #2,727 of 4,752

Thanks
1624559376496.png

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/phot...photoskills-with-without-audio-gear/22445/123

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #2,729 of 4,752
Thanks. I don't have small ears, probably average/medium but I have had issues with some of the "universal custom" style iem's in the past, including the Legacy 3 (but it may have been that angled cable connector). I have had good luck with a couple of those "universal custom" style iem's lately so I'm hoping the Oracle works out fit wise.
I do not have the Monarchs, but here are some pics with measurements that may clarify the size of the Oracles.

IMG_20210625_102513.jpg
IMG_20210625_102640.jpg
IMG_20210625_102714.jpg
IMG_20210625_102736.jpg
IMG_20210625_102855.jpg
IMG_20210625_102929.jpg
IMG_20210625_103000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back