ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Jan 5, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #4,531 of 4,767
I would say the Mk3 bass is wet in songs where it should be wet, but I really don't notice much sloppiness on tracks where I'm expecting pretty tight/dry bass. :) It's a pretty controlled sound across the board.

What is the difference between wet and dry bass?

Good question and there's no one answer. Typically this language is used to describe the general flavor of the sound reaching you. A little looser with a little more bleed and maybe a softer initial strike on bass could be described as "wet" and the opposite sound might be called dry, but like all these terms, it's a little nebulous.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #4,534 of 4,767
Do ThieAudio IEMs need more juice? I have the Oracle MKII, and it is quieter compared to the Aful Performer 8 at the same volume. I mainly use Sony NW-A306 Japan version as source.
They do yeah, not sure if its the e-stats but they usually required +4-6dB volume for me

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #4,535 of 4,767
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #4,536 of 4,767
One of the negatives he mentiones as "very expensive"...we should invite him to the headfi forums, all will seem cheap after seeing people having multiple sets of 4k$+ :)

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #4,537 of 4,767
Do ThieAudio IEMs need more juice? I have the Oracle MKII, and it is quieter compared to the Aful Performer 8 at the same volume. I mainly use Sony NW-A306 Japan version as source.

Yes, they generally do. My understanding is that ThieAudio has found that bringing down the sensitivity of the other drivers to better match the ESTs leads to better performance and integration of the ESTs in the sound. Judging by their success in the tribrid market and the number of them I currently own and have owned in the past, I'd say they're on to something. 😂

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #4,538 of 4,767
Yes, they generally do. My understanding is that ThieAudio has found that bringing down the sensitivity of the other drivers to better match the ESTs leads to better performance and integration of the ESTs in the sound. Judging by their success in the tribrid market and the number of them I currently own and have owned in the past, I'd say they're on to something. 😂
I have to set the volume on 110-115 just to come close to the same loudness as the Aful at 80 🤔

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #4,539 of 4,767
I have to set the volume on 110-115 just to come close to the same loudness as the Aful at 80 🤔

Yup, I generally have to turn the volume up to get the same loudness on my various ThieAudio tribrid even compared to some other manufacturers tribrid models. Thankfully, I have plenty of devices that are more than capable of providing the power. 😉

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #4,540 of 4,767
One of the negatives he mentiones as "very expensive"...we should invite him to the headfi forums, all will seem cheap after seeing people having multiple sets of 4k$+ :)
That's where you see the divergence in priorities for the target audience. Those tech review websites will call the Audeze Maxwell "very expensive" as well at $299 and the $129 Razor Moray IEM as an exquisite "best ever" piece of gaming kit...but shill GPU's every single iteration 4070,4080,4090, Nvidia SUPER GPU's, the 5880 or all the new CES monitors promising 540Hz refresh like its nothing 🤣🤣🤣

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #4,541 of 4,767
Funny, I listen to almost exclusively electronic music(mostly on the chill wave side of things, but with a good variety of other stuff thrown in, KOAN Sound, Lorn, ComTruise) and I absolutely love the combo of completely enveloping bass and upper sparkle on the Monarch MKIIIs for basically everything I listen to. I'd love to compare to the Prestiges though!
Yep, if I was listening to mostly electronic, I too would have gotten the Monarch. But since when I was standing in the store comparing the LTD and the Mk3 with both electronic and "real" music, I decided that the LTD was the better all-rounder for me. You can't go wrong with either, just personal preference, they're both excellent IEMs.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #4,542 of 4,767
Hi Everyone. On the topic of tips again. Did anybody find that the stock tips with the Monarch Mk3 were the best? They seem to do well for me but I also like the SpinFit W1's. So I am looking between those two.

The Divinus Velvets and the SednaEarfit (Normal) are fine but I feel they would be better if I could just get a bit deeper insertion and have it stay there instead of popping back out slightly again. However I use MS size for those and the small size will definitely be too small for me so it's just a personal thing really along with this IEM.

I also have SednaEarfit (Shorts) coming so I will try them when they come.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have a fairly decent number of tips anyway so don't worry about me buying tips. I would be doing that anyway since I am a tip roller when it comes to IEM's.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #4,543 of 4,767
Hi Everyone. On the topic of tips again. Did anybody find that the stock tips with the Monarch Mk3 were the best? They seem to do well for me but I also like the SpinFit W1's. So I am looking between those two.

The Divinus Velvets and the SednaEarfit (Normal) are fine but I feel they would be better if I could just get a bit deeper insertion and have it stay there instead of popping back out slightly again. However I use MS size for those and the small size will definitely be too small for me so it's just a personal thing really along with this IEM.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have a fairly decent number of tips anyway so don't worry about me buying tips. I would be doing that anyway since I am a tip roller when it comes to IEM's.
I use Spinfit CP145s on basically every IEM I listen to regularly, and they work brilliantly for the Monarch as well. Obviously YMMV. They just fit my ears well for most IEMs.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #4,544 of 4,767

Sedna Crystals don't slip as much. You may also be between sizes; on the one hand MS gets a deeper insertion but slips after some skin oils/lengthy listening while M I can wedge in and don't slip but over a lengthy listening sesh put pressure on my ears. Depends on the nozzle length too, but yeah. Velvets are pretty slick and slide even with a solid size choice while the SednaEarfit Lights eventually get slippy with skin oils on em.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #4,545 of 4,767
I use Spinfit CP145s on basically every IEM I listen to regularly, and they work brilliantly for the Monarch as well. Obviously YMMV. They just fit my ears well for most IEMs.
I think the Spinfit shape probably just fits me a bit better. However in the little bag of tips I've put in the Monarch Mk3 box the Spinfits I put in there are the W1's and the CP100 (both normal and +).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back