ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Jul 29, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #4,276 of 4,753
Received my Monarch Mk3s yesterday. Here are some initial impressions based on the first few hours.

1st impression - Unboxing
As touched on by some other reviewers, the packaging is really quite meh for the price. Very standard selection of tips. Carrying case is okayish, abit large though that's good if you need to stash a dac/amp dongle. Cable is quite nice, especially with the modular plug system. Kinda thick for IEMs but they still quite comfy and non-microphonic.

2nd impression - Taking out the IEMs
20230728_203310.jpg
Damn, these things are really quite huge and noticeably heavier than "lesser" IEMs. Here's the size difference compared to the Hidizs MS2 (1 DD + 1 BA hybrid). The nozzles are also huge. Tried to slip on some Spinfit CP145s and W1s but they don't quite fit as they bulge and slide off easily. Went with the stock medium sized silicon tips then.

3rd impression - Putting them in
Quite a snug fit to get into my ears but once in they are surprisingly very comfortable and i don't feel them one bit. Had them on for more than an hour, no issue. Passive isolation is pretty good even though there seems to be a vent at the front of the IEM.

4th impression - Initial listen (Lotoo Paw S1 via 4.4mm)
First thing that hits you is "Wow, that BASS". Probably the most visceral bass i've heard from personal audio, even compared to planars like the LCD2, Arya, etc. Really deep extension, crazy rumble and yet very controlled. I went through various audio test tracks and some classic rock via Spotify on my phone. They sound really fun and engaging as I was tapping my feet along with my eyes closed track after track. On certain tracks the bass was kinda abit much, not that it was bleeding into the mids or anything but so in your face that it was quite distracting.

5th impression - Second listen (SMSL SP200 via XLR to 4.4mm + SMSL SU-8s)
The Monarch Mk3 seems quite source dependent and scales quite abit with the quality of the gear used. Bass quantity dropped quite a bit while the quality went up with the desktop setup. I went through another set of test tracks but this time in FLAC, both HD and "SD". With less distraction from the bass, I could now really notice how well extended and sparkly the treble is. The soundstage and imaging is incredible as well with a sharp center image and various instruments clearly defined in space around it. Very akin to my Arya V2 (non-stealth) though obviously not as wide. For an IEM with 10 drivers of different types, the coherence is really outstanding, everything just works together as one.

So far i've been very impressed.

And now to play some Diablo IV! 😄
Glad to hear that the legacy of Monarch II continues. Lovely and understandable impressions. You should write a full review!

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #4,277 of 4,753
Received my Monarch Mk3s yesterday. Here are some initial impressions based on the first few hours.

1st impression - Unboxing
As touched on by some other reviewers, the packaging is really quite meh for the price. Very standard selection of tips. Carrying case is okayish, abit large though that's good if you need to stash a dac/amp dongle. Cable is quite nice, especially with the modular plug system. Kinda thick for IEMs but they still quite comfy and non-microphonic.

2nd impression - Taking out the IEMs
20230728_203310.jpg
Damn, these things are really quite huge and noticeably heavier than "lesser" IEMs. Here's the size difference compared to the Hidizs MS2 (1 DD + 1 BA hybrid). The nozzles are also huge. Tried to slip on some Spinfit CP145s and W1s but they don't quite fit as they bulge and slide off easily. Went with the stock medium sized silicon tips then.

3rd impression - Putting them in
Quite a snug fit to get into my ears but once in they are surprisingly very comfortable and i don't feel them one bit. Had them on for more than an hour, no issue. Passive isolation is pretty good even though there seems to be a vent at the front of the IEM.

4th impression - Initial listen (Lotoo Paw S1 via 4.4mm)
First thing that hits you is "Wow, that BASS". Probably the most visceral bass i've heard from personal audio, even compared to planars like the LCD2, Arya, etc. Really deep extension, crazy rumble and yet very controlled. I went through various audio test tracks and some classic rock via Spotify on my phone. They sound really fun and engaging as I was tapping my feet along with my eyes closed track after track. On certain tracks the bass was kinda abit much, not that it was bleeding into the mids or anything but so in your face that it was quite distracting.

5th impression - Second listen (SMSL SP200 via XLR to 4.4mm + SMSL SU-8s)
The Monarch Mk3 seems quite source dependent and scales quite abit with the quality of the gear used. Bass quantity dropped quite a bit while the quality went up with the desktop setup. I went through another set of test tracks but this time in FLAC, both HD and "SD". With less distraction from the bass, I could now really notice how well extended and sparkly the treble is. The soundstage and imaging is incredible as well with a sharp center image and various instruments clearly defined in space around it. Very akin to my Arya V2 (non-stealth) though obviously not as wide. For an IEM with 10 drivers of different types, the coherence is really outstanding, everything just works together as one.

So far i've been very impressed.

And now to play some Diablo IV! 😄
thanks for sharing your impressions!

yeah, I agree with @o0genesis0o
I think you should write a full review, in your own style.

now show us those beautiful faceplates! :ksc75smile:

Jul 31, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #4,278 of 4,753
thanks for sharing your impressions!

yeah, I agree with @o0genesis0o
I think you should write a full review, in your own style.

now show us those beautiful faceplates! :ksc75smile:
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, maybe i'll write a review once i've clocked more hours and lived with the MMk3s abit. I've updated my earlier impressions as i think there were some issues with the first listen via my phone.

Meanwhile, some snaps of the faceplates with my phone.

Attachments

• 20230731_145341.jpg
    20230731_145341.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230731_145721.jpg
    20230731_145721.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230731_145906.jpg
    20230731_145906.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 31, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #4,279 of 4,753
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, maybe i'll write a review once i've clocked more hours and lived with the MMk3s abit. I've updated my earlier impressions as i think there were some issues with the first listen via my phone.

Meanwhile, some snaps of the faceplates with my phone.
These are the "default" ones?

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #4,281 of 4,753
Yep, didn't want to shell out extra for the more bling designs. And also something understated would be easier to sometimes sneak in for use in the office. 😁
It is indeed gorgeous and low-key. I wanted to appreciate their more blingy designs, but their minatures are for ants.gif

edit. argument sort of withdrawn, minatures are still illegible on mobile but fine on PC.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #4,282 of 4,753
Pulled the trigger on the Prestige LTD...

Been an Ety guy for years (as well as a headphone guy) but the zero red was my gateway to "normal shaped" iems, followed by the final A5000, which I do like for it's quite spacious sound.

I'm taking a massive leap of faith with the Prestige. I did consider the monarch MK3. I love the butterfly faceplate. But based on reviews saying that the mk3's party trick is the mid-bass and that the prestige LTD is more neutral and has better tech performance, I've gone for the prestige LTD hope that I've made the right decision in terms of style over substance.

(But based on the pics and vids I've seen, I do also like the look of the Prestige LTD over all the MK3 faceplates - except the Butterfly one - and the LTD looks better than the OG Prestige to me, so hopefully I've not don't too badly on the style from either)

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #4,283 of 4,753
Pulled the trigger on the Prestige LTD...

Been an Ety guy for years (as well as a headphone guy) but the zero red was my gateway to "normal shaped" iems, followed by the final A5000, which I do like for it's quite spacious sound.

I'm taking a massive leap of faith with the Prestige. I did consider the monarch MK3. I love the butterfly faceplate. But based on reviews saying that the mk3's party trick is the mid-bass and that the prestige LTD is more neutral and has better tech performance, I've gone for the prestige LTD hope that I've made the right decision in terms of style over substance.

(But based on the pics and vids I've seen, I do also like the look of the Prestige LTD over all the MK3 faceplates - except the Butterfly one - and the LTD looks better than the OG Prestige to me, so hopefully I've not don't too badly on the style from either)

If you're talking about Etymotic... I'm right there with you. iems-wise, I used them almost exclusively for around 20 years. While I'm also now a "normal shaped" iems guy, I still definitely do find a place for the Etys... you don't need to handle them as gingerly, and for sure they isolate better than anything else. I'll be flying in a few days and will probably hit the Etys. :)

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #4,284 of 4,753
If you're talking about Etymotic... I'm right there with you. iems-wise, I used them almost exclusively for around 20 years. While I'm also now a "normal shaped" iems guy, I still definitely do find a place for the Etys... you don't need to handle them as gingerly, and for sure they isolate better than anything else. I'll be flying in a few days and will probably hit the Etys. :)
Nothing better than Etymotics on a flight!...Crying babies got nothing on ER(insert number)s.

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #4,285 of 4,753
Does anyone know an IEM similar to Monarch mk2, but less bass? I've had my fun with it, but I personally think the bass is too much, and the mk3 seems to add even more.

I've been looking at suggested IEMs under $1k, and currently looking at Thieaudio Oracle or Dunu SA6 Ultra. Any other suggestions?

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #4,286 of 4,753
Does anyone know an IEM similar to Monarch mk2, but less bass? I've had my fun with it, but I personally think the bass is too much, and the mk3 seems to add even more.

I've been looking at suggested IEMs under $1k, and currently looking at Thieaudio Oracle or Dunu SA6 Ultra. Any other suggestions?
Used set of Helios.

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #4,287 of 4,753

Moondrop S8

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #4,288 of 4,753

Etymotic ER4SR

graph (3).png

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #4,289 of 4,753
ThieAudio Monarch MK3.jpg

IEM4.jpg

Monarch MK III is one CHONKY boi. :beyersmile:

It might not fit small ears but it's ergonomic, so I can wear it for about 2 hours before it starts making my ears sore.

Initial impressions are very, very good. Deep rumbling bass, good slam, but not at basshead level in my opinion. Not boomy or muddy bass. Really satisfying. Both the low end and highs extends for days. Bass also has amazing texture. Those double 10mm DDs are doing some work!

Mids and highs are obviously top notch. Lush and warm mids with sparkly, airy, and precise treble. No sibilance. Tonality and timbre is great. Imaging, soundstage, details are all insanely good. Basically, technicalities are all great. Incredibly resolving IEM with lots of microdetails.

Cable isn't as bad as I've heard from some reviews. Not a tight weave/braid but it's good enough. Might look into cable upgrade but I don't feel the need to immediately switch it out. Otherwise, accessories are lacking for a $1k IEM.

Currently using SpinFit W1 with it. Fits perfectly.

In my opinion, Monarch MKIII is definitely worth $1,000. Extra $100-$150 for bling, which I think is a ripoff but I know a lot of people will pay for those sexy new faceplates. I was tempted but I really like the default faceplates too. The black resin is free flowing and layers on top of the white marble/ivory-like design. I think each ear piece, each set is unique, due to how the resin flows. I don't love the confetti but it does add some pop and bling. The amount of glitter used and colors are unique and different on each ear piece as well.

Highly recommend this IEM if you want a very well tuned, engaging, fun, balanced, highly technical IEM with really good tonality. Thie hit a home run with this release, once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back