ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Nov 27, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #3,421 of 4,752
Considering the price of the original Monarch, the Mk2 already represents an increase in price.

I don’t think the Monarch will have a significant effect on the pricier IEMs. As someone else said, purchasing decisions are complex. A simple example…. If you need to buy a meal and can afford, and expected, to pay $20 you might be pleasantly surprised if the menu has a $3 special. You may even have heard patrons talk about how good the $3 special was, but in the end you might hesitate, wondering what you might be missing out with the more expensive meal. I can speak from my own experience that when I shop I do not always go for the lowest cost option if I have been subtly persuaded by either marketing, word of mouth, or packaging to go for a more expensive offering, sometimes convincing myself that “you get what you pay for“. Obviously for many they do not have the option to pay more than they have to, but then a +$1K IEM is probably not targeted at them.
Absolutely agree- from a slightly different perspective, to some this development is a gift. I was considering delving into this part of the market (my IEM experience being limited to Final A4000s and Ikko OH10s, both of which I love now after struggling with fit and EQ issues), and after reading lots of reviews, I was torn between something like the Clairvoyance or Dunu SA-6 on one hand and 64 Audio U12T or Tia Trio on the other side. I wanted something with strong detail retrieval in the treble on the one hand, a forward clear middle and fast but adequately punchy bass (I love EDM but am not o/w a bass-head). Black Friday was approaching, what to do? Suddenly the Mk2 appears on the stage, call it hype train if you will, but I ordered them anyway (from Headphones.com, in case there is a problem I can return them, though I hope not). I am that guy.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,423 of 4,752
DBEFB9D5-73EC-4792-BD1B-27735CF55A8D.png

Basshead here - not sure how to read Crin’s chart comparing my Sony MH755 to the OG Monarch, the subbass frequency response for the latter is lower so does that imply inferior performance?

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #3,425 of 4,752
DBEFB9D5-73EC-4792-BD1B-27735CF55A8D.png
Basshead here - not sure how to read Crin’s chart comparing my Sony MH755 to the OG Monarch, the subbass frequency response for the latter is lower so does that imply inferior performance?
The left scale of the graph is dB, essentially loudness. So when you compare the graphs, it simply means the is a difference in loudness at those frequencies. In this case, the Sony has more apparent bass below 300Hz. It does not, however, indicate the QUALITY of the bass. Terms like "muddy" or "bloated" might be used for low quality bass in that region if it's not accurately delivered to the listener. The Monarch is reputed to have top-tier bass, although most of it is clearly focused below 80Hz.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #3,426 of 4,752
What I find interesting about the Monarch Mk II is they seem to hug IEF neutral (w/ bass boost) to 2k... then above 2k they almost straddle the line between IEF neutral and Harman IE. Seem really impeccably tuned.

In any case ordered a set of 5 days ago, hopefully they ship within the next week. Just looking for something a bit more convenient to use than my Harman EQ'ed KSE 1200s while out and about - can't imagine they'll play quite on that level, but even 90% of the way there simply plugged into my iPhone would be amazing.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #3,427 of 4,752
The left scale of the graph is dB, essentially loudness. So when you compare the graphs, it simply means the is a difference in loudness at those frequencies. In this case, the Sony has more apparent bass below 300Hz. It does not, however, indicate the QUALITY of the bass. Terms like "muddy" or "bloated" might be used for low quality bass in that region if it's not accurately delivered to the listener. The Monarch is reputed to have top-tier bass, although most of it is clearly focused below 80Hz.
@DrewVz thank you for your warm-heartedness. It is evidence of the wonder this Forum has been to me- welcoming of those who are new, devoid of contempt, an island of reason and encouragement focused on the excellence of sound and the purest enjoyment of it. Welcome @ack84! I advise also to view the video on post #3406.

I would also refer you to this helpful video:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #3,428 of 4,752
What I find interesting about the Monarch Mk II is they seem to hug IEF neutral (w/ bass boost) to 2k... then above 2k they almost straddle the line between IEF neutral and Harman IE. Seem really impeccably tuned.

In any case ordered a set of 5 days ago, hopefully they ship within the next week. Just looking for something a bit more convenient to use than my Harman EQ'ed KSE 1200s while out and about - can't imagine they'll play quite on that level, but even 90% of the way there simply plugged into my iPhone would be amazing.
Impedance=36 ohms, sensitivity 108 Db, due to the estats no doubt. Seems like it should be acceptable via an iPhone dongle though I will probably use my DAP (Hiby R8) instead for the commute. I have a Hidizs DH80S that could likely give them enough of a boost to push the estats. I’m sure the new IFi GoBlue or a Dragonfly would also do nicely.

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,429 of 4,752
Impedance=36 ohms, sensitivity 108 Db, due to the estats no doubt. Seems like it should be acceptable via an iPhone dongle though I will probably use my DAP (Hiby R8) instead for the commute. I have a Hidizs DH80S that could likely give them enough of a boost to push the estats. I’m sure the new IFi GoBlue or a Dragonfly would also do nicely.

Hmm. What happens w/ those Sonion drivers when they're under driven? I do mean the Apple dongle for the most minimal, pocketable setup. I do have a Quedelix 5k which pushes out like 8x the power balanced, and a Hidizs S8 for a great DAC section with about twice the power - so I'll have my bases somewhat covered to see how it performs at different power scales.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #3,430 of 4,752
Hmm. What happens w/ those Sonion drivers when they're under driven? I do mean the Apple dongle for the most minimal, pocketable setup. I do have a Quedelix 5k which pushes out like 8x the power balanced, and a Hidizs S8 for a great DAC section with about twice the power - so I'll have my bases somewhat covered to see how it performs at different power scales.
May i ask whats your experience with de qudelix ?

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,431 of 4,752
Here you go - thanks to @Animagus for this information.

https://www.sonion.com/wp-content/uploads/ds-EST65DA01_v2.pdf. Electrostatics need additional bias voltage but Sonion drivers being electrets don't and so can be driven more easily.

Sonion EST.png

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #3,432 of 4,752
Which tips are everyone using for the MKII?

Also curious. Currently I'm using Azla Xelastic which I'm reasonably satisfied with for the clarity, but the bass is not as punchy and tight as I've heard on the Azla SednaEarfitLight, which in turn toned down that magical sparkly treble too much for my liking. I'm going to demo the Azla Crystal when it comes next week. Also admittedly I haven't even tried the stock silicone tips lol, should probably do that.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #3,434 of 4,752
Also curious. Currently I'm using Azla Xelastic which I'm reasonably satisfied with for the clarity, but the bass is not as punchy and tight as I've heard on the Azla SednaEarfitLight, which in turn toned down that magical sparkly treble too much for my liking. I'm going to demo the Azla Crystal when it comes next week. Also admittedly I haven't even tried the stock silicone tips lol, should probably do that.
Pls also see posts 3384-3386 in this thread. Choice of width of tips is likely to be a factor too but is going to vary by individual.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #3,435 of 4,752
Pls also see posts 3384-3386 in this thread. Choice of width of tips is likely to be a factor too but is going to vary by individual.
I tried Various Azla tips, Final E tips, the older spin fit 100 which toned down the treble clarity and other frequencies. Ended up back with the stock Medium Spinfit 100 Plus on my OG monarch. It's the best representation of how the IEM was tuned. Everything sounds perfect including that visceral bass rumble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back