ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #421 of 4,808
I am a kind of excited about 3d affect they say the MEST can also produce. I didn't hear about any 3d affect with Monarch or Clairvoyance. Also no one talking about Baldr?
So far, of the IEMs I own, the only ones that have provided me with “3D“ imaging have been the TA L3 < ISN D02 < Mangird Tea (best so far). I suspect that the imaging may be even better on the TA tribrids and the MEST.

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #422 of 4,808
Hi bro,

I see " Empire Ears Odin" in your signature.

How the Monarch compare ?

Hello. I have spent a good amount of time with the Monarch and Odin. The Odin is definitely not a “side-grade.” The Monarch is a technically capable IEM. It has a forward and detailed presentation. It is a little bright and lean in the body of the tonal balance. These “issues” (to my ears and preferences) have been resolved by finding the right ear tips, cable, and source. With the chain I have going now, it is a more fun monitor and I like it a lot. I sold my Solaris 2020 and Valkyrie shortly after acquiring it and I have no regrets. I also ordered the Clairvoyance since I like the Monarch so much.

The Odin offers a more comfortable fit. The Monarch is big(ger) for my ears and becomes uncomfortable after a few hours. The Odin presents a more laid back, holographic, and enveloping sound. I have used the comparison to a good 2-channel speaker system to describe it as I find it appropriate based on my experience with hi fi and studio monitors. I’ve heard the Odin described as bright. I don’t hear it that way. Using the same source (the DX220 MAX) the Odin is balanced and warmer than the Monarch (fuller body and thicker lower mid-band frequency balance). The Monarch is more forward (in your face and in your head) and exciting, but also fatiguing, by comparison. They are both fantastic for what they are. After playing with them both for over 2 weeks, I like the Odin as my studio in ear monitor and the Monarch for fun when I want a monitor with more energy and sub bass. The Monarch (with the right tips, cable, chain... and even without the 20 ohm resistor Crinacle suggested) is my favorite sub bass IEM.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #423 of 4,808
Pretty much I'll wait for a used Monarch. If anyone's here is letting his/her monarch, lmk

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #424 of 4,808
I am a kind of excited about 3d affect they say the MEST can also produce. I didn't hear about any 3d affect with Monarch or Clairvoyance. Also no one talking about Baldr?
If you mean soundstage width and depth, then yes it is definitely perceptible with the Thieaudio Clairvoyance that I own - but it is a lot dependent on the source. My LG G6 could not give any depth perception while the iFi Nano BL and my desktop chain give ample depth perception.
Clairvoyance does rendering the layers in music pretty well and has one of the nicest soundstages I have ever heard in an IEM

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #425 of 4,808
Hello. I have spent a good amount of time with the Monarch and Odin. The Odin is definitely not a “side-grade.” The Monarch is a technically capable IEM. It has a forward and detailed presentation. It is a little bright and lean in the body of the tonal balance. These “issues” (to my ears and preferences) have been resolved by finding the right ear tips, cable, and source. With the chain I have going now, it is a more fun monitor and I like it a lot. I sold my Solaris 2020 and Valkyrie shortly after acquiring it and I have no regrets. I also ordered the Clairvoyance since I like the Monarch so much.

The Odin offers a more comfortable fit. The Monarch is big(ger) for my ears and becomes uncomfortable after a few hours. The Odin presents a more laid back, holographic, and enveloping sound. I have used the comparison to a good 2-channel speaker system to describe it as I find it appropriate based on my experience with hi fi and studio monitors. I’ve heard the Odin described as bright. I don’t hear it that way. Using the same source (the DX220 MAX) the Odin is balanced and warmer than the Monarch (fuller body and thicker lower mid-band frequency balance). The Monarch is more forward (in your face and in your head) and exciting, but also fatiguing, by comparison. They are both fantastic for what they are. After playing with them both for over 2 weeks, I like the Odin as my studio in ear monitor and the Monarch for fun when I want a monitor with more energy and sub bass. The Monarch (with the right tips, cable, chain... and even without the 20 ohm resistor Crinacle suggested) is my favorite sub bass IEM.

Perfect answer, thanks a lot !! :beerchug:

Ok, I am thinking about the Monarch + Sedna Xelastec (a real steal with my Kaiser Encore and Fitear 111) + a full copper cable or an hybrid gold plated copper and silver plated copper (as my Encore's ; the Penon 849 for instance is really, really good).

For the DAP, my trustly and faithful Aune m1s will be the perfect match (as it is with my Encore and 111, and it has been with my formers 334, Zeus Xra, Andromeda, etc.) :beyersmile:

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #426 of 4,808
If you mean soundstage width and depth, then yes it is definitely perceptible with the Thieaudio Clairvoyance that I own - but it is a lot dependent on the source. My LG G6 could not give any depth perception while the iFi Nano BL and my desktop chain give ample depth perception.
Clairvoyance does rendering the layers in music pretty well and has one of the nicest soundstages I have ever heard in an IEM
Thank you very much for the information.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #427 of 4,808
the Penon 849 for instance is really, really good
Thank you for the precious tip, Dave!
I'm looking for a quality cable to match my incoming Monarch set, without breaking the (already broken) bank. =)
I guess that the Penon 849 you're referring to is the hybrid GS849 (there's also a silver-plated Litz-like copper cable, OS849, which is cheaper).
Currently happy with the Linsoul's own LSC08 cable I got for the Legacy 3, but I'll be entering a different league there with the Monarch, I believe, so that looks like a good wiring match and should also sound accordingly! Got stellar reviews here on Head-Fi, by the way...
As for the tips, I really don't know... I probably should be more discerning about them, but I've still to experiment at all. The stock M ones in the L3 appear to be a/b-ok for me so far, but... Anyone care to suggest a couple of good starting tips... er... points, please? Comfy and neutral.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #429 of 4,808
I'm looking for a quality cable to match my incoming Monarch set, without breaking the (already broken) bank. =)
I guess that the Penon 849 you're referring to is the hybrid GS849 (there's also a silver-plated Litz-like copper cable, OS849, which is cheaper).
Currently happy with the Linsoul's own LSC08 cable I got for the Legacy 3, but I'll be entering a different league there with the Monarch, I believe, so that looks like a good wiring match and should also sound accordingly! Got stellar reviews here on Head-Fi, by the way...
As for the tips, I really don't know... I probably should be more discerning about them, but I've still to experiment at all. The stock M ones in the L3 appear to be a/b-ok for me so far, but... Anyone care to suggest a couple of good starting tips... er... points, please? Comfy and neutral.
The monarchs stock cable is already very good. No need to upgrade right away.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #430 of 4,808

Yes it is the GS849.
But beware about the polarity, it's important.
I have had 2 GS849 at the same time when my Kaiser Encore and former Zeus XRA where in the balance (really two great contenders).
2 identical cables and... the same "problem" : one canal was inverted in polarity compared to the other !...
With a 2-pin assembly, this is not a real problem: you have to connect a channel (L or R, it does not matter) reversed compared to the other one, and it is done. But you must know it.
It was about 2 years ago. I made a report to Penon, but no answer ... I don't know if this is still the case...
Apart from this remark, excellent sound, and excellent ergonomics (flexible and not too heavy). The build and finish are also excellent as well. So I still have a GS849 for years with my Encore's and nothing to say : no color change for example, no oxidation ...

I've also had the OS849 (same time and comparison with GS849), but on the other hand I found the sound (tone, dynamics...) and ergonomics (too stiff) mediocre (but excellent build and finish... and wonderful look, really beautiful and classy). :triportsad:

For the tips, if you fit mono-flanges, the Sedna Xelastec are just the very best mono-flange tips in the world. Only one flaw : price.... And if you don't fit it !! :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #431 of 4,808
Just a question for the crew here. I have been looking at the set up for the Finera Baldr. I have not seen any YouTube reviews or anyone speaking about it. Wanted to know how it matched up with the Monarch and Clairvoyance.

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #432 of 4,808
Ok...MEST is a SIDEGRADE? I was looking at Clairvoyance and MEST. MEST is double the price and touted as a END GAME. I would if you can. How close are the Monarch and Clairvoyance to the MEST? Is the MEST 3D like stage? Thanks in Advance.
For me it is a sidegrade. Perhaps to expand to others opinions, some people in my circle have considered MEST to be endgame ahead of clair and monarch, not just in soundstage but also in bass texture. But there were also a few who were not too impressed. I guess if you do not have a chance to demo you will need to wait for more reviews and such.
MEST has exceptional soundstage. 3D implies sound will come from above and below? I find that instruments are placed on a flat plane. So imagine instruments are placed around you in a room, rather than above or below you. That's a kind of realism I guess. An additional special factor is that vocals sound kinda intimate while the instruments are placed far away. I like this contrast as opposed to iems with big soundstage that just place everything far away.
A weakness for MEST for me would be its tonality. It can sound sibilant and too thin sometimes. It seems very eartip dependent, as the sound changes quite alot when I switched between 3 pairs of different eartips.
Clair and Monarch do not have such a wide soundstage, but respectible enough to have good imaging, with their neutral tonality. I find they do vocals better than MEST and do not have offensive treble. Kinda safe choices if you will.

Suppose if price was no concern I might go for Odin. Still it's a pretty close fight.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #434 of 4,808
3D implies sound will come from above and below? I find that instruments are placed on a flat plane. So imagine instruments are placed around you in a room, rather than above or below you.

I find they do vocals better than MEST and do not have offensive treble.
That’s what I would consider 3D as well, and only a few IEMs have given me that kind of imaging (with some vertical placement).

You’re definitely not the only one to make such comments about the mids on the MEST. My guess is it’s because of so little pinna gain. I actually tend to like such signatures (Mangird Tea, se846), so I’m really looking forward to hearing the MEST.

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #435 of 4,808
That’s what I would consider 3D as well, and only a few IEMs have given me that kind of imaging (with some vertical placement).

You’re definitely not the only one to make such comments about the mids on the MEST. My guess is it’s because of so little pinna gain. I actually tend to like such signatures (Mangird Tea, se846), so I’m really looking forward to hearing the MEST.

It's not so much pinna gain as it is probably about the treble peak it has, balanced with less lower mids. I love vocals on Hidition violet and QDC VX/gemini/8SL/4SS which have little pinna gain. In fact I'm only going for monarch because I want something different from my tendency to go for lower pinna gain stuffs and I would like at least 1 "neutral" iem haha.

but of course ymmv. I would add that Im quite lower treble sensitive

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back