ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Dec 2, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #3,467 of 4,752
Hey, so an update. I was able to compare the U12t's sub-bass on that song in comparison with the Monarch and Anole VX. And it certainly leans closer to the Anole than the Monarch. In fact, I was also able to compare against a neutral speaker (with subwoofer) setup and it most closely approximated between the U12t and Anole VX to my ears. Similarly with my headphones, actually. So I would say, if anything, it is the Monarch "coloring" the song with additional sub-bass. My rating of the sub-bass amount would go like this:

Monarch >>> U12t > Speakers > Headphones > Anole

So if you're looking for something with more sub-bass than the Monarch while still maintaining a good degree of other technicalities I'm not sure you'll find it, IMO! Certainly puts the Monarch in a unique spot especially if you're looking for its type of tuning!
Hey thanks for the update - I was able to audition an Anole through a friend and it is awesome but, as you said the subbass is definitely a lot leaner than the Monarch, and as per what you've said here it seems the U12t is also a tad leaner...I'm thinking at this point I'm just going to plan to keep the Monarch around specifically for pop, rap, and electronica, and just plan to get another IEM to complement its strengths and weaknesses.

So I think I may actually end up going with the Anole because to my ears it is the most different and complementary to the Monarch, rather lean on the low-end but with excellent mids, sparkling treble and probably the best technical qualities I've heard in an IEM.

That being said I also decided to source a Monarch Mk II now that I have the Anole as a reference in my memory. If I can get close to the Anole for $1k with the Mk II then I may just run with the two Monarchs.

At first I thought it was kind of ill-advised to clamp down some of the subbass on the Mk II since that's arguably my favorite thing about the Monarch. But now I think I can see the business angle...basically improve the Monarch respectably across the board while reigning in the subbass to make it more neutral on that front, which not only creates an excellent IEM but also leaves the original Monarch with a nice little niche as a subbass cannon. So now I'm in a situation where I may have both a Mk I and a Mk II as companions rather than just strictly upgrading to the Mk II...and I'm sure that's exactly what they wanted!

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #3,468 of 4,752
Yes it is!
The only graphene cable I've tried was spectacular. Not sure if it was the graphene itself that made the difference, but the cable was very dynamic and crystal clear, more than any other cable I've tried. My only criticism is maybe that there was TOO much emphasis on the upper mids / treble which did create a very expansive soundstage, but it was too intimate. Very clear, very dynamic, very smooth, but I prefer a soundstage that has more depth to it, as if you're listening to speakers from across the room. Some of the detail is dampened with this type of staging, but it's more pleasing to listen to.

Different strokes I guess. But I think the technology has a ton to offer. I can't wait to see the different cable variations that employ graphene on the future.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,469 of 4,752
@Resolve of HEADPHONES.COM fame livestream review of Monarch Mk2 on YT at link below.
Main review starts with fit and accessories at 4:00 min. in, FR about 9:30, technical performance and select comparisons at 24:00, w/ Q&A responses to chat predominant after 31:00. In general he finds the fit very acceptable, tonality good especially bass SQ (not finding bass quantity to be lacking), mids forward and clear (just on the edge but not shouty in the ear gain region from 2-5k), overall very good. He provides a number of comparisons to other IEMs but especially focuses on Symphonium Helios.

My initial impressions of the ThieAudio Monarch Mk2 mirror Resolve’s, and particularly, his thoughts about the 5 kHz peak. And that peak is important because it allows the Monarch Mk2 to satisfactorily recreate the sound of solo stringed instruments. Overall, its unquestionably more tonally correct than the 64 Audio U/A12t and U/A18s which have a very synthetic balanced armature sound. 64 Audio‘s Tia driver makes certain notes or percussion instruments like tambourines or cymbals sound veiled, distant, and unnatural. By comparison the Monarch Mk2 presents more like a single driver headphone and the upper registers are wonderfully articulate, transparent, and clean— this in turn allows you to listen at exceptionally lower volume levels. I understand why Crinacle gave the Monarch Mk2 an S+ Tone Grade above the U12t.

Fit will be issue for anyone with smaller ear canals and shallow conchas due to the depth/thickness of the shell and lack of a recess for the helix crus and this likely will cause the antihelix to push the rear of Monarch Mk2 outside of the concha. The angle of the nozzle and long 2-pin connector will also contribute to fit issues for some owners. Ideally the shell should be reduced in depth and height by approximately 15-20% to fit the average ear. With regards to the physical design and materials of Monarch Mk2, they are surprisingly well done especially when you compare it to the more expensive U12t which has a totally uninspired shell, cable, and case. In the end, the Monarch Mk2 is a solid offering and does more right than IEMs costing two and three times as much.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #3,471 of 4,752
Dec 2, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #3,472 of 4,752
just got these this afternoon from headphones.com black friday order, Im very impressed so far. excellent quality feel, especially the cable. Clean, snappy, excellent balanced bass. I've been around the block but never heard a hybrid or estat iem and its definitely a different experience, but the tuning and timbre are top tier in my opinion. I agree that the mids around 5k are toing the line, but give enough bite to keep the sound exciting without getting too hot.

not the largest soundstage, but they have excellent seperation and imaging and a very vibrant, holographic feel that makes up for that.

if i had to give some descriptors i would say slightly ethereal, textured, vibrant, clean, snappy.

This isnt for someone wanting a lush sound but thats apparent in the frequency response.

Definitely an instant favorite and one that grabbed my attention and interest immediately, didnt need much time to start appreciating that its special.

i love the cable but wish it had some memory wire, it keep slipping over my ear and pulling the iem out of place. might have to makeshift something.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #3,473 of 4,752
It's from XINHS on Aliexpress! I might actually sell mine since I got their 8 core cable and it's a little too heavy for my ears

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002380254843.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.29f24c4dR3tJ7o

I'm also using a XINHS graphene cable on my Timeless. It's a XINHS 4 core single crystal copper silver-plated graphene cable, Litz structure. I think it's the same cable, with half the number of cores. But wow, what an incredible sound. Dynamic, crystal clear, huge soundstage, incredible image separation. And not too heavy. Looks the same as yours, except slightly thinner. I am so impressed with this cable, I was actually considering getting the 8 core. But your comment on the weight makes me think twice. The 4-core is actually fairly hefty as well. Not too heavy, but just about the limit of what I prefer. I think the Y-splitter is dragging it down. It's a pretty solid piece of steel. I may try buying the 8-core and use a Dremel to cut off the splitter to reduce the weight.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #3,474 of 4,752
Just got these in as well from headphones.com.

My daily drivers - KSE1200s tuned to a slightly tweaked Harman - are pretty tough to beat. These sound remarkably similar... somewhat more of a sense of space (likely attributable to the shallower insertion), not quite the detail/precision/speed what have you. These get maybe 85% of the way there.

But really great. And they seem to be driven quite well from my iPhone dongle - pretty loud at about 60% volume. Unlike my IER-Z1R, I can barely tell any difference between the iPhone dongle and my Hidiz S8 which has nearly 3x the power. Comfort level and fitment feels similar to IER-Z1R.

One thing I'd like to do, as these are for minimal use while on the move (ie. driven straight from iPhone dongle), is get a minimal cable. This seems like a pretty standard 2 pin cable, yeah?

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #3,475 of 4,752
I just received my Monarch Mk2's today as well. It's still too early for me to know how I feel about them. I really like the sub bass. I'm looking forward to getting to know these. So far I've been listening from a Hugo2.

I also have a KSE1200 that I like. I have it tuned to Oratory1990's tuning as I like the extra warmth.

Driving them straight from a iPhone dongle would be my end goal as that's the ultimate in portability.

Fit has been great for me. My ears are probably considered fairly large.

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #3,476 of 4,752
I'm thinking at this point I'm just going to plan to keep the Monarch around specifically for pop, rap, and electronica, and just plan to get another IEM to complement its strengths and weaknesses.

That's a great idea and exactly what I keep end up doing, haha! I'll never part with the Monarch MKI due to its unrivaled sub-bass just like I'll never part with the Anole VX due to its unrivaled resolution. The U12t is a better all-arounder out of the three for sure but that just makes it more expendable and easier to replace with, say, something like the Monarch MKII (which could be a problem for it too in the future as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #3,477 of 4,752
Anyone knows what is monarch mk2 nozzle size?
Thanks
5.4mm with a 6mm lip. SpinFit CP145 and AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips fit and I recommend the former.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,478 of 4,752
does anyone know if the stock "Spinfit" tips are real Spinfit? the "Spinfit" tips I got that came with the Oracle are just not good, regardless of IEM. it's too thin & squishy, unlike the CP145. I had never used CP100, old or new version, any version, so I can't tell. I want to purchase the actual CP100 if they're not the same thing. (because I think it looks stiffer/firmer in photos)
If you're talking about Monarch OG and MKII stock tips. Yes, they are real spin fits. They are newer and better sounding to my ears. They have a "better & thicker central shaft audio material" vs the old Spin fit 100 (Non-Plus) which I also own. I compared both and the Plus+ is downright more transparent and life-like. Paired with a Transparent DAP like the Cayin N3 Pro + OG Monarch +Monarch MKII Smart Cable and I'm in audio heaven :darthsmile:

They don't "sound" right because you've been spoilt by the lower quality sound and your brain must now adapt to the new sound sig which is honestly way better. They are more transparent but also reveal music in your library that wasn't properly mastered. So look out for these factors before discounting it all together. My 2 cents.

Bought some Acoustune AET08 and Acoustune AET07 tips ( Cost $10 for 3 Medium Pairs). Gonna test when they get here.

Also, my Micron Industrial Grade 256GB Micro SD card arrived today, I plugged it into the Cayin N3 Pro, loaded the same songs as on the older PNY PRO Elite 256GB (U3, A2, V30).

Listening via Balanced +High-Gain + OG Monarch + Spinfit 100 Plus tips and I have to say guys!!!, this is one of the best Audiophile choices I've made this year (The other being selling OG Mest to buy OG Monarch and now smart Monarch MKII EST Cable). Trust me on this one. I have confirmed this is not hype. Even 320KBPs from great sources sound simply fantastic. Wow didn't think this would be the result. The difference is HUGE. The DAP is now more holographic. This is beautiful.

It's like the Musical electrons are way more free-flowing to the DAC due to the card being X-ray and magnetically shielded? What I'm getting is pure sound like I've not heard all my life (It's that GOOD). I Paid a total of $95 for the Micron Industrial Card. 100% Worth every penny and more.
I'm absolutely stunned. It's like the Cayin N3 Pro has become a DAP four times its price and quality. Buy this Card + DAP, Thank me later or donate to my Go fund me. Link in Bio.

This Card seems to have unlocked the fact that the DAC+AMP stage Motherboard Cayin used is from a parts bin of one of the N3 Pro's bigger brothers.
The card does give better sound in the ZX500 and A55 but nothing like being in the middle of a massive audio sphere effect I hear with N3 Pro + Micron Industrial Card + OG Monarch pairing. WOW!!!

Please note Industrial Cards are 3X more expensive than the equivalent consumer-grade card. they're just built much better with different, faster reliable memory. It made a huge difference in clarity, well-separated instruments, details to die for, and a nice spacious soundstage. Dynamics are unreal.

Anyone that doesn't believe an industrial Isn't better, look it up and you'll see the better-built products are the Industrial Cards. NASA, Space X, the Military only use these for critical missions.

I've been buying gear with my own money, testing, and sharing here my findings but I'm making this bigger by starting a small company, by us, for us, and to benefit our musical ears and wallets. The link to my GoFundme is in my bio.

Happy Holidays and come back here and comment when your jaw drops on the N3 Pro pairing, Micron Industrial Micro SD Card, and Monarch OG or MKII

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #3,479 of 4,752
It's from XINHS on Aliexpress! I might actually sell mine since I got their 8 core cable and it's a little too heavy for my ears

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002380254843.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.29f24c4dR3tJ7o
Looks beautiful I almost bought the Nicehck Blackjelly graphene cable during cyber monday. Is the graphene better than stock cable for the mkii? Im looking at the graphene to maybe add more thickness/body to the notes, make vocals a bit more forward and drums to have more authoritative sound on the Mkii. Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #3,480 of 4,752
Looks beautiful I almost bought the Nicehck Blackjelly graphene cable during cyber monday. Is the graphene better than stock cable for the mkii? Im looking at the graphene to maybe add more thickness/body to the notes, make vocals a bit more forward and drums to have more authoritative sound on the Mkii. Thanks
It is definitely more transparent and full bodied across the board compared to the stock cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back