Thieaudio Monarch MKIII impressions, reviews, and pictures thread
Feb 22, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #556 of 691
Someone here owns both Monarch MKIII and XENNS Mangird Top for a comparison? I'm interested and curious, I want to know if the mk3 worth the difference of price. Thanks.
So tempted to place an order for a pair of Tops to compare. For science, of course. :dt880smile:

Edit: This review of the Tops from our friend @FcConstruct might contain some useful clues. Sounds like it would be a downgrade from the MMK3 / sidegrade from the considerably less expensive (albeit scarce) B2D, although in fairness I even sometimes find the MMK3 bass to be a bit too much of a good thing, and I'm an unabashed bass-head (so I'm admittedly still a bit curious)! Maybe I should get my hands on an MMk2...

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #558 of 691
hi, I also joined the club few days ago, brain is starting to burn in to new sound, its good.
biggest disapointment - xelatecs sounds the worst for me and it had huge price :frowning2: Tri Clarion and stock foam so far the best..Spinfit W on its way and I am thinking about Comply Foam tips? but what tips exactly? thanks

source is LG V60 and desktop RME ADI 2 DAC FS..

edit: i just read random comment on YT saying I should not push Xelatec too hard/deep into ear (I did that), I will try tomorow.. I just swapped to stock foam for goodnight listen (Evanescence - Imaginary sounds outstanding)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #559 of 691
hi, I also joined the club few days ago, brain is starting to burn in to new sound, its good.
biggest disapointment - xelatecs sounds the worst for me and it had huge price :frowning2: Tri Clarion and stock foam so far the best..Spinfit W on its way and I am thinking about Comply Foam tips? but what tips exactly? thanks

source is LG V60 and desktop RME ADI 2 DAC FS..

edit: i just read random comment on YT saying I should not push Xelatec too hard/deep into ear (I did that), I will try tomorow.. I just swapped to stock foam for goodnight listen (Evanescence - Imaginary sounds outstanding)
I'm using the stock tips and I've also used the CP145s, both fit very well for me.

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #560 of 691
Finally after listening to some of the world's best and most expensive IEMs at CanJam NYC, I can say that MMK3 compares very favorably to most of them, sometimes even beating IEMs 3-5x+ more expensive in certain aspects.

One thing I did notice with the best of the best compared to MMK3, is that they're often more refined and more specialized, but is it worth thousands more than MMK3 for a few improvements? I personally don't think so. MMK3 is in my opinion, the best all-arounder at around the $1,000 price point and many times more. For example, Unique Melody Amber Pearl, Multiverse, and Mason FS Nuit Étoilée are a big step up from MMK3 in terms of sound quality and are some of the best all-around IEMs in the world, but are they worth $3,000-$8,000+ more? I don't think so, unless you're rich.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #561 of 691
a big step up from MMK3 in terms of sound quality and are some of the best all-around IEMs in the world, but are they worth $3,000-$8,000+ more?
Well, if you want the step up, you better start saving up :dt880smile:

At least you should feel better that you put those 3 grands into a new IEM rather than a cable

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #562 of 691
Well, if you want the step up, you better start saving up :dt880smile:

At least you should feel better that you put those 3 grands into a new IEM rather than a cable
LOL but you know rich audiophiles are crazy. 3 grand for a cable is not even a difficult decision for some of them.

Storm is very expensive ($5,000+) and I don't think you can even get them quickly, but I think if someone has the money, it's a good option for one of the best IEMs in the world.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #563 of 691
Is there any place where you can buy a set of the silicone stock tips?

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #564 of 691
I demoed Volur fully expecting it to be an "endgame upgrade" vs MMK3 but was surprised that it wasn't. I think it's still really damn good, but in the end I felt like among the three frequency regions there wasn't anything that was a straight upgrade from MMK3. Most of my listening was focused on bass because I think it's the most improvable aspect of MMK3. I only had around 20mins to test so this isn't exhaustive. I forgot to take a pic but Volur's shell is an eyecatcher, I still love my aurora mix MMK3 though.

Bass is almost a full upgrade, Volur hits hard and has excellent texture and transients. It's honestly super enjoyable - except it just bled to the mids. For reference I did only try it with M20 and perhaps M12 or something would alleviate this, but MMK3's bass shelf just ends at a better spot. Just looking at graphs, M12 seems like it would diminish too much of the bass (which is Volur's best trait) as well.
I know some people (basslets) already think MMK3's midbass overwhelms the mids (to me it's near-perfect) but this is much more evident on Volur. I think the quality of bass is (much) better on Volur, but it's definitely not a full replacement as MMK3's bass is better-tuned. I'd probably pay a good amount of money for MMK3 with Volur's bass drivers but MMK3 tuning.

For mids, male vocals on MMK3 can be a bit lean whereas they are pretty full on Volur. I think this part is a toss-up, though I wouldn't mind a bit more body than what MMK3 has. Female vocals on Volur are just not very good for me, I suspect it's the "64 Audio dip" that's just making vocals (and other instruments) sound off. MMK3 is outright superior for upper mids, it's not even close.
I wouldn't say Volur is too warm or anything, and I don't mind warmth, but the point from the bass section still stands - mids can get swallowed up by the bass.

Treble-wise, 5-6K is a weak point for my hearing (I'm particularly sensitive to this region) and is quite accentuated in MMK3. Thankfully MMK3 still manages to not be sibilant most of the time, but it can be tuned a tiny bit lower imo. It does add to perceived clarity though.
On Volur, this is a fair bit more restrained, but I do wonder if it could be boosted a tiny bit to compensate for the bass, so for lower treble I think both can be improved, but MMK3 can be unlistenable to people who are super sensitive to lower treble so I'd count this as a win for Volur.
Mid and upper treble I'd give to MMK3, I think Volur's treble tuning was just very uneven - I don't mind boosted upper treble generally, but ~10k on Volur is muted vs MMK3 and the contrast between said ~10k and the higher treble regions on Volur is pretty insane. It's weirdly imbalanced and stuff like cymbals don't sound quite right.
MMK3 does also have elevated upper treble, which can be bothersome to a lot of people (again, not me) but it doesn't have the trough-peak interaction. My preferences and tolerances lean towards "bright" signatures and I really think MMK3 just does treble better than Volur, though I'd say I'm ok with a bit less upper treble.

For non-audio aspects Volur handily wins though - 64 Audio's fit and comfort is just unmatched. All in all I'd say I still liked Volur, but I don't think I'll take it over MMK3 as an all-rounder, especially at that price. Maybe $1.8-2k retail would be more appropriate as you do still get a lot of positives beyond pure sound quality. I think I'd pay like $800-$1k for a secondhand Volur in a heartbeat.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #565 of 691
I am trying to decide between Shanling M6 U and M3 U
Given that MMKIII don't scale much with the source. Is the more expensive DAP worth?
I know there are many options, but somehow I have settled on Shanling and would like to get one of these models.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #566 of 691
As awesome as they were, I ended up selling my EE Odins, because the Monarch MKIII are nearly the same. Truly an incredible piece of Chi-Fi.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #567 of 691
I demoed Volur fully expecting it to be an "endgame upgrade" vs MMK3 but was surprised that it wasn't. I think it's still really damn good, but in the end I felt like among the three frequency regions there wasn't anything that was a straight upgrade from MMK3. Most of my listening was focused on bass because I think it's the most improvable aspect of MMK3. I only had around 20mins to test so this isn't exhaustive. I forgot to take a pic but Volur's shell is an eyecatcher, I still love my aurora mix MMK3 though.

Bass is almost a full upgrade, Volur hits hard and has excellent texture and transients. It's honestly super enjoyable - except it just bled to the mids. For reference I did only try it with M20 and perhaps M12 or something would alleviate this, but MMK3's bass shelf just ends at a better spot. Just looking at graphs, M12 seems like it would diminish too much of the bass (which is Volur's best trait) as well.
I know some people (basslets) already think MMK3's midbass overwhelms the mids (to me it's near-perfect) but this is much more evident on Volur. I think the quality of bass is (much) better on Volur, but it's definitely not a full replacement as MMK3's bass is better-tuned. I'd probably pay a good amount of money for MMK3 with Volur's bass drivers but MMK3 tuning.

For mids, male vocals on MMK3 can be a bit lean whereas they are pretty full on Volur. I think this part is a toss-up, though I wouldn't mind a bit more body than what MMK3 has. Female vocals on Volur are just not very good for me, I suspect it's the "64 Audio dip" that's just making vocals (and other instruments) sound off. MMK3 is outright superior for upper mids, it's not even close.
I wouldn't say Volur is too warm or anything, and I don't mind warmth, but the point from the bass section still stands - mids can get swallowed up by the bass.

Treble-wise, 5-6K is a weak point for my hearing (I'm particularly sensitive to this region) and is quite accentuated in MMK3. Thankfully MMK3 still manages to not be sibilant most of the time, but it can be tuned a tiny bit lower imo. It does add to perceived clarity though.
On Volur, this is a fair bit more restrained, but I do wonder if it could be boosted a tiny bit to compensate for the bass, so for lower treble I think both can be improved, but MMK3 can be unlistenable to people who are super sensitive to lower treble so I'd count this as a win for Volur.
Mid and upper treble I'd give to MMK3, I think Volur's treble tuning was just very uneven - I don't mind boosted upper treble generally, but ~10k on Volur is muted vs MMK3 and the contrast between said ~10k and the higher treble regions on Volur is pretty insane. It's weirdly imbalanced and stuff like cymbals don't sound quite right.
MMK3 does also have elevated upper treble, which can be bothersome to a lot of people (again, not me) but it doesn't have the trough-peak interaction. My preferences and tolerances lean towards "bright" signatures and I really think MMK3 just does treble better than Volur, though I'd say I'm ok with a bit less upper treble.

For non-audio aspects Volur handily wins though - 64 Audio's fit and comfort is just unmatched. All in all I'd say I still liked Volur, but I don't think I'll take it over MMK3 as an all-rounder, especially at that price. Maybe $1.8-2k retail would be more appropriate as you do still get a lot of positives beyond pure sound quality. I think I'd pay like $800-$1k for a secondhand Volur in a heartbeat.
I had the same impression when I compared my MMK2 to U12t and U4s. Comfort and fit were extremely good, but the pushed back mids in the 64 audio IEMs was not for me. While bass, sound stage, fit are improved in 64 audio IEMs, it did not make sense to pay the difference.

That said, the price does make sense when we view it from the angle of an American company paying an American wage. Sadly, in a global market, it does not compute much anymore when other manufacturers are catching up on the tech.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #568 of 691
Is there any ear tips that retain the same sound as the stock silicone tips?

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #569 of 691
Mar 20, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #570 of 691
In the future I would like to buy a MKIII, but before that I intend to buy a Dac/Amp. Are there any plusses about this device to get along well with MKIII?
For this moment I have auditioned K11, K7, DX5, I still intend to check K9, M500II.
Can you guys suggest anything that I could take for listening?
Greetings.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back