Thieaudio Monarch MKIII impressions, reviews, and pictures thread
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #286 of 769
so what did you end up with?
I bought the MMK3 and I liked it but I didn't love the treble response/bass transients/coloration. I tried a lot of different tips/cables and a few sources which helped a bit, but I ended up buying the MMK2 and preferred it in the end.

I found the MMK3 treble a bit crispy sounding and felt it presented microdetails in a way that sounded forced.

The MMK2 has inferior bass, but it has a more neutral and balanced presentation both in tonality and tuning. It also has one of my favorite treble responses sitting alongside Anni 23 and the Helios OG. MMK2 has a classic tuning that should stand the test of time.

Objectively, MMK3 is a better IEM though, and these sentiments are reflected in my IEM rankings.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #288 of 769
I bought the MMK3 and I liked it but I didn't love the treble response/bass transients/coloration. I tried a lot of different tips/cables and a few sources which helped a bit, but I ended up buying the MMK2 and preferred it in the end.

I found the MMK3 treble a bit crispy sounding and felt it presented microdetails in a way that sounded forced.

The MMK2 has inferior bass, but it has a more neutral and balanced presentation both in tonality and tuning. It also has one of my favorite treble responses sitting alongside Anni 23 and the Helios OG. MKM2 has a classic tuning that should stand the test of time.

Objectively, MMK3 is a better IEM though, and these sentiments are reflected in my IEM rankings.
I've always had BA iems. Er4s -> Fitear MH335dw / Andro 2020
So the bass has been precise and dry with very little actual body to it. Hence MKii sounds more like my cup of tea.
However I was wowed by ierz1r, but fit was the issue.
If I were to get just one, would you advise to go for MK3 to chase the ierz1r wow factor or pick a more reference MK2?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #289 of 769
I've always had BA iems. Er4s -> Fitear MH335dw / Andro 2020
So the bass has been precise and dry with very little actual body to it. Hence MKii sounds more like my cup of tea.
However I was vowed by ierz1r, but fit was the issue.
If I were to get just one, would you advise to go for MK3 to chase the ierz1r wow factor or pick a more reference MK2?
If you're looking for good DD bass, MMK3 might suit your needs better than the MMK2. The MMK2 bass is a lacking in bass body/slam/transient hardness.

The MMK3 as a whole has more of a wow factor than the MMK2 which some find a little boring.

Might want to look into Nightjar Singularity as well. Smaller staging and less resolving than MMK3, but superior bass and coherency.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #290 of 769
If you're looking for good DD bass, MMK3 might suit your needs better than the MMK2. The MMK2 bass is a lacking in bass body/slam/transient hardness.

The MMK3 as a whole has more of a wow factor than the MMK2 which some find a little boring.

Might want to look into Nightjar Singularity as well. Smaller staging and less resolving than MMK3, but superior bass and coherency.
How does the Crimson compare with the Monarch 3? Have you compared them directly?

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #291 of 769
How does the Crimson compare with the Monarch 3? Have you compared them directly?
Crimson has superior bass, Monarch 3 has better mids, and treble is a wash.

Resolution is similar, Crimson has better imaging and a larger soundstage + reverb. Crimson is more dynamic.

Monarch 3 tonality is colored, and Crimson is neutral-warm. Both are U-shaped/slight W-shaped.

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #292 of 769
It's been a while since I've had my Z1R, but Z1R and MMK3 are... very different.

MMK3 has better, more forward mids, is colored, and resolves better.

Z1R has significantly better bass in every bass metric except for speed, and notably larger staging, particularly in height. It even has reverb.
Z1R is a more clinical-sounding, neutral, brighter listen overall.

The MMK2 has inferior bass, but it has a more neutral and balanced presentation both in tonality and tuning. It also has one of my favorite treble responses sitting alongside Anni 23 and the Helios OG. MMK2 has a classic tuning that should stand the test of time.

Crimson has superior bass, Monarch 3 has better mids, and treble is a wash.

Resolution is similar, Crimson has better imaging and a larger soundstage + reverb. Crimson is more dynamic.

Monarch 3 tonality is colored, and Crimson is neutral-warm. Both are U-shaped/slight W-shaped.

Thanks for your impressions and comparisons, make lot of sense and similar experience compared one to another, I know
"roughly" how the overall tuning and technicalities of the Monarch MkII. and I think your comparison you described, you wrote them very objectively not biased. I own / had / listen to those Z1R, MmkII, Annihilator, Helios non SE. I think I'll just stick with Z1R and Monarch MkII when craving for mids.
Since I have Mest (OG) too, that more technicalities oriented that derailed from naturalness, The Monarch MkIII is sitting between Monarch MkII and Mest.
Was thinking if I need to "upgrade" my Monarch MkII to MkIII.

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #293 of 769
Thanks for your impressions and comparisons, make lot of sense and similar experience compared one to another, I know
"roughly" how the overall tuning and technicalities of the Monarch MkII. and I think your comparison you described, you wrote them very objectively not biased. I own / had / listen to those Z1R, MmkII, Annihilator, Helios non SE. I think I'll just stick with Z1R and Monarch MkII when craving for mids.
Since I have Mest (OG) too, that more technicalities oriented that derailed from naturalness, The Monarch MkIII is sitting between Monarch MkII and Mest.
Was thinking if I need to "upgrade" my Monarch MkII to MkIII.
Happy to be of help.

The MMK2 and MMK3 are very different in many ways so I wouldn't consider the MMK3 a direct upgrade to the MMK2.

It has a different coloration and a different tuning which makes it feel like a different IEM altogether and not a direct successor to the MMK2 despite its Monarch name.

The only area where the MMK3 is clearly better, objectively and without question, is the bass.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #294 of 769
I've been looking for a pair of IEMs that could do it all, and I think I've finally found them in the ThieAudio Monarch MK3. These IEMs are so good at reproducing a wide range of genres, from Buena Vista Social Club to Korn. They don't disappoint if your playlist has classic rock or Daft Punk on it either.

I'm not sure if any other IEMs under €1000 can do this. I think I've found my endgame because they're also outstanding for gaming and recreating the atmosphere in the most atmospheric games.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #296 of 769
That's subjectively 😜
Hey man, I know you really like the MMK3.

I did say "without question" though. There are other areas of the MMK3 that I'm sure are better than the MMK2 and vice versa, but I think depending on the person, these areas can go either way (mids, treble, resolution, imaging, dynamics, etc.)

I think the bass superiority of the MMK3 is undeniable though no matter the person, that is, if they're being objective.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #297 of 769
My 2 cents...
I got my MK3 yesterday, and so far, I'm so impressed with the bass, treble, and stage.
No IEMs in the world can accommodate everyone's ears and liking for the sound.
I have the Sony MDR-Z1R, and so far, I prefer the sound (and comfort ) of the MK3.
By the way, I bought the IER-Z1R same time as the MDR for comparison, and they went back the other day.
No one has the same preference for sound, and you always need to listen to the staff before pulling the trigger :)
Running all my phones with Ibasso-170 and Ibasso-240 AMP8MK2 balanced 4.4

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #298 of 769
Hey man, I know you really like the MMK3.

I did say "without question" though. There are other areas of the MMK3 that I'm sure are better than the MMK2 and vice versa, but I think depending on the person, these areas can go either way (resolution, imaging, dynamics, etc.)

I think the bass superiority of the MMK3 is undeniable though no matter the person, that is, if they're being objective.
Hahaha, I am just joking man! 😄

I am a huuge fan of most gear I try or have, not just the MMk3. I am a fan of the MMk2 too.

I am not a fanboy of a MMk3 tuning vs MMk2 signature either. I like trying different tunings, often based on mood and genre. Today I was listening to the Mest Mk2 PEQ-matched to Audeze LCD-2, you get the crazy extent. 🤣

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #299 of 769
Hahaha, I am just joking man! 😄

I am a huuge fan of most gear I try or have, not just the MMk3. I am a fan of the MMk2 too.

I am not a fanboy of a MMk3 tuning vs MMk2 signature either. I like trying different tunings, iften based on mood and genre. Today I was listening to the Mest Mk2 PEQ-matched to Audeze LCD-2, you get the crazy extent. 🤣
I know, I know lol. I appreciate our back and forth on this thread.

I wish I got to try the MEST MK1/MK2. I never had a chance to listen to any IEM in that series.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #300 of 769
I know, I know lol. I appreciate our back and forth on this thread.

I wish I got to try the MEST MK1/MK2. I never had a chance to listen to any IEM in that series.
My 5c is that you didn't miss much. They all have that pina gain scoop that makes many things sound strange and unnatural. (I won't get back to my 3db=$2 million violin example I promise, but it's very applicable to this case! 🤣) The bone-conductor isn't compensating that. That's why I like PEQ-ing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back