ThieAudio Monarch MKII Owners - Do You Hear This?
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 19
I usually just use either my Fiio BTR5 or Qudelix-5k, but I don't have a device I would necessarily call a 'must have' to pair with the Monarch. I use an Ovidius B1 for direct connecting to my phone, but that's just a random dongle unit I bought on sale, on a whim, at Linsole a couple of years ago and is nothing special.

My favorite thing to do for portable use with any IEM is pair them with the Fiio UTWS5. Once you start using detachable ear-hooks (you have to get either the two-pin or MMCX version or buy an adapter piece) it becomes too convenient to want to go back to cords.

I almost bought a set of HD800Ss two days ago, but ultimately decided not to spend the money, right now.
I've been using a wm2000 shanling neck band that sounded good my T4 iems. I did get an OE angled adapter, tried it after my RME Babyface Pro, the magic was totally gone. This morning I tried a moondrop click dongle that I had, was bright and bass extension was lacking so it was super shouty and percussive. I want to get something worthy of the MK2 next month so I just ordered a ddHiFi - TC44Pro USB-C to 4.4mm Adapter, should be a good step up from the "click", if it's good enough I might just put off getting a good one for a while.

How was the HD800s? I can't imagine it to be a huge tonal shift from the HD800, but I've never heard it.
Oh, I should also mention that anyone with the Monarch MKII should try the Spinfit CP100 silicon tips. They sound mostly the same as the included tips but they do interesting things with the upper range that's worth trying out. Just make sure to get a properly fitting size.
With the MK2 I did order a set of AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Eartips For TWS, they were good but I think I preferred the bass response with the stock foam (small), I've got the a SpinFit - W1 in the mail, I wonder if they are similar to the CP100 you mentioned.

How different does the UTWS5 sound compared to the BTR5 or Quidelix-5k? I'm still researching my next move for an on the go solution. My current android only does ACC, my older phone is still working fine with the LDAC hi-rez and has a headphone jack! I should audition that phone for dap duties.

Though I think a DAP might be the way to go for an endgame solution for me, I find my M1 ultra stutter/jitter even without the switcher. The RME sounds good, can't imagine what a real audiophile dac/amp would sound like, I thought the HD800 was good but honestly I have a plexi and 4x12 behind me, guitars always sounded terrible on the HD800. And now the contrast with the MK2 couldn't be further. It's still great for movies etc but I'd be interested to see if they get a new lease of life with a proper modern DAP or DAC/Amp. Fun times amids a miserable world atm :)

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 19
I've been using a wm2000 shanling neck band that sounded good my T4 iems. I did get an OE angled adapter, tried it after my RME Babyface Pro, the magic was totally gone. This morning I tried a moondrop click dongle that I had, was bright and bass extension was lacking so it was super shouty and percussive. I want to get something worthy of the MK2 next month so I just ordered a ddHiFi - TC44Pro USB-C to 4.4mm Adapter, should be a good step up from the "click", if it's good enough I might just put off getting a good one for a while.

How was the HD800s? I can't imagine it to be a huge tonal shift from the HD800, but I've never heard it.

With the MK2 I did order a set of AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Eartips For TWS, they were good but I think I preferred the bass response with the stock foam (small), I've got the a SpinFit - W1 in the mail, I wonder if they are similar to the CP100 you mentioned.

How different does the UTWS5 sound compared to the BTR5 or Quidelix-5k? I'm still researching my next move for an on the go solution. My current android only does ACC, my older phone is still working fine with the LDAC hi-rez and has a headphone jack! I should audition that phone for dap duties.

Though I think a DAP might be the way to go for an endgame solution for me, I find my M1 ultra stutter/jitter even without the switcher. The RME sounds good, can't imagine what a real audiophile dac/amp would sound like, I thought the HD800 was good but honestly I have a plexi and 4x12 behind me, guitars always sounded terrible on the HD800. And now the contrast with the MK2 couldn't be further. It's still great for movies etc but I'd be interested to see if they get a new lease of life with a proper modern DAP or DAC/Amp. Fun times amids a miserable world atm :)

I've got no complaints about the UTWS5's sound. The BTR5 is really the only portable unit that stands out, as far the 'out-of-box' sound signature. The Qudelix has software that allows for by-far the most tweaking to get the best sound, but some people just want to plug and play, and the BTR5 sounds the best straight away, in my opinion. The difference, of course, is that the UTWS5 is the the way to go for cable free, portable sound, regardless of whether or not it's the absolute best option for pure sound quality. Basically, I use the UTWS5 for portable use and my IFI desktop stack for workstation use. I have no experience with genuinely "high-end" portable DACs/Amps. I've always wanted to buy a nice DAP, but I can't justify the cost, when using a phone I already own with a $120 portable amping device gets the job done just fine.

I don't know how the HD800 sounds compared to the HD800s. I kind of wish companies didn't do the whole "updated version" of existing headsets, thing. I was dead set on buying the Focal Clears a few years ago but chose to get the Clear MGs instead, without being able to A-B test them out before purchasing. Now, I continually think about wanting to get the regular Clear because the MGs have a dark upper mid tone that hasn't grown on me, even though it's probably just marketing fluff with the two sets likely sounding basically the same. Side Note: the Focal Clear MG is good but not worth the cost, in my opinion.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 19
I have no experience with genuinely "high-end" portable DACs/Amps. I've always wanted to buy a nice DAP, but I can't justify the cost, when using a phone I already own with a $120 portable amping device gets the job done just fine.
Very true, eye watering prices on the flagships, very hard to justify. I'll probably travel and visit a proper store to try before I buy.

At the moment I think I prefer IEMs in general, I wish some of these dongles or daps did mic through and I can get a cable with a good mic as well. I'm sure something must be out there that I haven't yet looked into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back