Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 and Sony IER-M9 comparisons?
Mar 26, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 3
There are comparisons on Monarch MkII thread but short impressions between them:

*They are both tuned as monitor style with high mids around 3khz emphasize

*Both are priced similarly

*MMkII bass shelf tuning is better to me, but the dynamic bass implementation went wrong, they sounded blunted in attack, with sub bass big rumble sounded trapped down there. The M9 bass is using BA bass, not my preference tuning on bass, too warm on 100-300khz but sounded more open with sony own BA bass like 64audio's TIA system, but they don't have air moving feeling of DDs.
Both aren't excell on bass part, with their own strengths and caveats.

*M9 mids detailed and sounded crispy with great body, weight mids, but MMkII mids are excellent, presented very detailed with great body too, texture, and very natural. The m9 lose the naturalness of MMkII timbre here, with details also on Monarch side.

*Trebles where on lower treble Monarch MkII have little bit forwarded but the extension and air is more emphasized on M9, very nice air feeling in between instruments with great detail.

*imaging and soundstage, i prefer more airy M9, the M9 have very pin point imaging, although MMkII also great, the M9 is split hair better, very subtle. Soundstage is wider and deeper on M9 little bit, M9 I considered as medium wide, close to wide category but with great depth, while MMkII on medium wide category, just there.

*timbre, the MMkII sounded more natural than M9

*fit wise smaller and more ergonomic M9 much better than chunky MMkII

*Both are great IEMs, i can see split decisions between them, even me, I may struggle if i have to choose one of them.
I may choose the M9 because of more all arounder though will regretly skip the MMkII great mids due the MMkII bass quality but Im really critical about bass quality.

*note: I have Monarch MkII and had IER-M9 before. I Sold the M9 due redundant with my M7 and Z1R, so i keep the M7 instead due value reasons (half price of M9 with 80% sound of them)

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks! Really great comparison. I appreciate you taking the time. Im looking forward to trying them both this year. Now I’d like to try the M7 and Z1R as well. I’m trying to find one good all round iem to be my daily driver. I’m leaning towards the Monarch Mk2. The Oracle mk2 is my favorite atm. If the monarch builds on that sound it’d be amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back