ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jan 26, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #1,652 of 1,778
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone is doing good!
I am considering buying Mangird Tea. Also comparing Legacy 5, Legacy 4 and Fiio FD5 with these. I love bass (mostly listen to EDM - not dubstep so not fast bass but Trap so heavy sub-bass type, and slow vocal songs - mostly hindi with male/female vocals and multiple instruments like guitars, flute etc.) but also love finding micro-details and separation of instruments and their relative position. Sorry I am new to the hi-fi world. Any help would be appreciated. I currently own BGVP DM6 (want to go step up from them) and UE900. I love BGVP for its details and stage but all or most of my EDM drops become too sharp so I cant vibe with it at higher volumes. On lower volumes it is okay. Please help. Thank you in advance!

While I haven’t heard the FD5, L5 or Tea on your list I do own the BGVP DM6; actually two pairs of those. Back in 2018 when I purchased the DM6 I was almost 100% into EDM, mainly Trance and Electro. I think the previous mentioned musical genres make the DM6 sound it’s best. Meaning when it came out...........for $200 the DM6 offered an exciting signature and does have great bass and separation for EDM. Still as far as grain and timbre the DM6 leaves much to be desired. It was amazing then but stuff like the L4 really goes to show the advanced times we live in. While I have a collection of IEMs I have used the L4 almost exclusively the last month or so. Though while way way more balanced than what was possible with the DM6 there may be just a small feature to wonder about. Meaning while the L4 bass is tight, refined and amazing, other bigger DD drivers may get you just a tad more physicality. So it’s the same L4 bass traits that make it great, may leave a tiny bit out using EDM 100% of the time. A slower bigger bass like the L5 (even though I have not heard it) may make more sense?

Typically too people listen to EDM at loud volumes, where obviously a club would be louder than a small group playing acoustic instruments. While when I play all my favorite music I’m simply keying into the L4 balance of being able to offer so much detail and tone/timbre ability. In fact the L4 is so great it’s night and day better than the tone/timbre ability of the DM6. That tone I’m describing is realistic instrument tone and timbre in contrast to the “plastic” the DM6 does. The issue is how you approach the midrange. Meaning the DM6 is a more V shape “going around” your critical “survival frequency” range, the L4 simply offers more mids and an upper treble spike which may keep you at more down to earth listening volumes. It’s hard to explain this other than there are going to be darker sounding IEMs, which don’t have the ability the L4 has which may be better for EDM. Just like my qdc Anole V3 has a totally reserved midrange and treble but could be turned-up louder than the L4. The qdc Anole V3 is 3 times the price of the L4, yet I feel the L4 is better on most every level; except that ability to really crank-it due to forgiveness of mid and treble brightness. Meaning with the right gear the L4 does just about perfect to my ears. Though probably both of us were OK with the brightish EDM treble with the DM6, the L4 is filling in that midrange with more and has extra energy in the treble which (while totally audiophile) does not always lend itself to going super super loud.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #1,653 of 1,778
While I haven’t heard the FD5, L5 or Tea on your list I do own the BGVP DM6; actually two pairs of those. Back in 2018 when I purchased the DM6 I was almost 100% into EDM, mainly Trance and Electro. I think the previous mentioned musical genres make the DM6 sound it’s best. Meaning when it came out...........for $200 the DM6 offered an exciting signature and does have great bass and separation for EDM. Still as far as grain and timbre the DM6 leaves much to be desired. It was amazing then but stuff like the L4 really goes to show the advanced times we live in. While I have a collection of IEMs I have used the L4 almost exclusively the last month or so. Though while way way more balanced than what was possible with the DM6 there may be just a small feature to wonder about. Meaning while the L4 bass is tight, refined and amazing, other bigger DD drivers may get you just a tad more physicality. So it’s the same L4 bass traits that make it great, may leave a tiny bit out using EDM 100% of the time. A slower bigger bass like the L5 (even though I have not heard it) may make more sense?

Typically too people listen to EDM at loud volumes, where obviously a club would be louder than a small group playing acoustic instruments. While when I play all my favorite music I’m simply keying into the L4 balance of being able to offer so much detail and tone/timbre ability. In fact the L4 is so great it’s night and day better than the tone/timbre ability of the DM6. That tone I’m describing is realistic instrument tone and timbre in contrast to the “plastic” the DM6 does. The issue is how you approach the midrange. Meaning the DM6 is a more V shape “going around” your critical “survival frequency” range, the L4 simply offers more mids and an upper treble spike which may keep you at more down to earth listening volumes. It’s hard to explain this other than there are going to be darker sounding IEMs, which don’t have the ability the L4 has which may be better for EDM. Just like my qdc Anole V3 has a totally reserved midrange and treble but could be turned-up louder than the L4. The qdc Anole V3 is 3 times the price of the L4, yet I feel the L4 is better on most every level; except that ability to really crank-it due to forgiveness of mid and treble brightness. Meaning with the right gear the L4 does just about perfect to my ears. Though probably both of us were OK with the brightish EDM treble with the DM6, the L4 is filling in that midrange with more and has extra energy in the treble which (while totally audiophile) does not always lend itself to going super super loud.
Thank you for such a detailed response! I understand and feel more confident now.

Do you have any experience with L5 or Tea? Want to understand more how these 3 (tea, L5 and l4) compare...... I was leaning towards tea watching the great reviews that it has been receiving....

Jan 26, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #1,654 of 1,778
Thank you for such a detailed response! I understand and feel more confident now.

Do you have any experience with L5 or Tea? Want to understand more how these 3 (tea, L5 and l4) compare...... I was leaning towards tea watching the great reviews that it has been receiving....

No experience with the L5, Tea or FiiO you mentioned. The L4 is spectacular for EDM, it’s just that it’s not totally perfect if you wanted that super thick heavy bass and wanted it super loud. But......? ......? the L4 has some of the coolest bass I’ve ever heard. It’s not a basshead IEM but the bass has such leading edge transients that it’s so clean and fast, that I will spend whole evenings listening to EDM with it. I’m trying to express that you just may want to try it first if you were looking for a single IEM for EDM. It’s so well rounded that it plays everything, but you maybe could find another a master at EDM?

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #1,655 of 1,778
No experience with the L5, Tea or FiiO you mentioned. The L4 is spectacular for EDM, it’s just that it’s not totally perfect if you wanted that super thick heavy bass and wanted it super loud. But......? ......? the L4 has some of the coolest bass I’ve ever heard. It’s not a basshead IEM but the bass has such leading edge transients that it’s so clean and fast, that I will spend whole evenings listening to EDM with it. I’m trying to express that you just may want to try it first if you were looking for a single IEM for EDM. It’s so well rounded that it plays everything, but you maybe could find another a master at EDM?
Ok, understood. Thanks friend!
Would you say the bass and sub bass quantity is the same, more or less from DM6? I get that it is better quality and tighter bass.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #1,656 of 1,778
I have the L3 and I have settled on the SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips.
I love them as once I put them in my ears they stay put...no fiddling around with positioning of iem. I listened around the house yesterday while working and never had to keep adjusting the position of them.
Now I just want to add a balanced cable.
DSC04941.JPG DSC04933.JPG

I listen to mainly blues / blues rock / classic rock and feel these perform well for the price.
Not sure what I am missing not going for the L4.... sometimes I wonder considering how well I like the L3

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #1,657 of 1,778
Ok, understood. Thanks friend!
Would you say the bass and sub bass quantity is the same, more or less from DM6? I get that it is better quality and tighter bass.

See this aspect is actually one of the most confusing parts of IEMs. Because better-done bass seems like more bass. So it’s maybe that they have the same quantity but due to bass detail and texture the L4 seems like more at times? The DM6 is this round and non-descriptive blob missing some texture, though I had 100s and 100s of hours with it. The L4 bass has the transient edge of BA bass but better decay. It’s more sculpted and tone and timbre correct in comparison with the DM6. So where the DM6 just has bass in one place, the L4 is kind of moving in an area of the soundstage, maybe it could be called changing/imaging....or something? Lol

Yes, better sub-bass than DM6.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,658 of 1,778
how are they? better than l4? I'll be running whatever i get off a btr5 aswell, though with a balanced cable

I don't have the L4, but I have the L3 and these trounce the much more polite L3. For a single-DD product, there's a damn impressive amount of space and the impact is excellent (for rap and metal). I've got a balanced cable en route so we'll see what that does for it.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #1,661 of 1,778
Is it possible to run L3 or L4 from an iPhone and MacBook Pro without needing an amp? Or would I have to make sure I have something like a BTR5? Sorry, I am pretty new to this fancier side of IEMs!
I have the L4 and they are unbelievably efficient so they don't need additional amping imo. They are literally a couple of clicks from zero on my galaxy S10+.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,662 of 1,778

Just FYI, if you truly want a bass head IEM, the most bassy Legacy is the L9.

Here is the thread, and someone is apparently wanting to sell theirs.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thieaudio-legacy-9.927889/post-16121711

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,664 of 1,778
My Legacy 4 CIEM is in DHL hands. I ordered them on January 6. So not too bad, 24 days manufacturing time, I thought I'll receive them after CNY.
Few days ago I got Fiio FD5, I'm looking forward comparing these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back